Is Grace/Gracie off-limits for me?

Hi Berries!

Still probably a couple of years away from TTC, but I’ve been quietly thinking about this for a few years and wanted some input.

So, my middle name is Grace. Throughout my childhood and through high school, I went by Grace - a lot of people in my family go by their middle names instead of their first. However, when I got to my second to last year of high school, I decided to start going by my first name (Stella).

I still absolutely love the name Gracie/Grace - honestly, I kind of regret going back to my first name, but I feel like it’s too late to change back, I’ve been going by Stella for years now! Anyway, that’s not the point - I love the name Grace/Gracie and I would definitely consider it as a first name if I have a daughter: I honestly prefer it as a first name than a middle name.

How weird would that be? I know that my family will raise an eyebrow at it, and a lot of people won’t understand why I started going by Stella if I like the name Grace/Gracie so much.

What do you guys think? Is Grace/Gracie off limits for me? Or could I make it work?

3 Likes

You can definitely make this work. There’s so many juniors in the world I don’t think this is strange at all :blush:

3 Likes

Sure, I think you could use it!

Using honours isn’t unusual and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is such a familiar name that a lot people like in general, so it doesn’t seem odd that you would like it enough to use too, even if it’s your middle! It would be like passing down something to your daughter, but also a name that you love in general.

1 Like

Definitely not off-limits! I typically think no one should be deterred from a name they like just because others find it odd, but I don’t find this situation is strange at all, especially considering you don’t go by that name anymore. Honour/family names are so common I can’t imagine anyone would bat an eye. Grace/Gracie is lovely too :smiling_face:

1 Like

I think it’s usable!

I will say that it sounds like a clear ‘the baby is named after their mother’ situation. So you would need to own it rather than saying “yeah I went by this name for years but I chose it for my child because I love the name, no connection to me at all:)” which would get the eyebrow raise from me not because it’s so strange but just because it would come off the same way that “his name is Abraham Lincoln - Abraham after the Biblical character, Lincoln because we like Lincoln logs - no connection to former US President Abraham Lincoln” would to me

2 Likes

Totally usable!

As mentioned above, as long as you’re comfortable with an obvious honor / nod to your name, I don’t think it’s weird at all.

1 Like

Use it if you want!!

1 Like

I think that because you went by the name for so long, it would be kind of weird, or at least seen as naming the baby after yourself.
You would have to decide for yourself if that’s a dealbreaker - kids are named after their parents all the time, and it is a nice name, but it sounds like that’s not really what you’re going for either.

1 Like

Firstly [name_f]Grace[/name_f] ‘Gracie’ is beautiful :dove:

Honestly I think this completely works. You have generations of sons all with the first name [name_m]James[/name_m]. [name_m]Or[/name_m] a dad who insists of having a junior. Yet with mothers there names/passing on their names is so taboo. Why can’t you have a generations of the same family named [name_f]Grace[/name_f]? I honestly think you sharing [name_f]Grace[/name_f] with your daughter would be lovely!

1 Like

I think it’s absolutely not off limits! It’s a gorgeous name, one you love, and so meaningful. I love it!

2 Likes

I think it would be a lovely choice for you.

1 Like

I am 100% pro- female juniors! As others have said, it would just be like naming your baby after yourself, and you’d just need to own it. Grace/Gracie is also just a great name and even though I generally prefer much less common names, I still love it :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I think you can use it! Sort of feels like my own association with [name_f]Grace[/name_f] - if I ever marry, I’m probably swapping my name for [name_f]Ashley[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] or [name_f]Ashley[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] - my grandmother’s middle was [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and I always regretted not getting a family name like my other siblings got. But my grandmother is one of my favorite people of all time and I’ve always wanted to honor her with my first daughter’s name. So I could be in a similar situation one day, but for me it’s important to have my grandmother as a part of me, but also as a part of my daughter, even though she’s gone. I think people might think it a little odd, but I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t, really, and I don’t see any reason why you can’t, either.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the input, I really appreciate all of your feedback - both that of being for-Grace and against-Grace. It’s definitely given me a lot to think about.

@ashthedreamer - that makes complete sense. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is an absolutely beautiful choice for you. I hope you get to use it one day. [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (from your UC) is an absolutely beautiful choice.

@LostMargaret - I love what you said about female juniors! If the men get to do it and no one blinks an eye, why can’t women? I hadn’t considered this perspective before. I bet a man would name his son a junior and no one would blink an eye, nor would he consider it odd!

3 Likes

Echoing everyone in favor of using Grace/Gracie! If the people who knew you as [name_f]Grace[/name_f] knew that you were going by your middle name, I think the concept of passing down a middle name to a child is familiar enough that even if they’re surprised at first, they’ll make the connection.

[name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] are so beautiful. I hope they make it onto your list :heart:

1 Like

Not weird at all! Many people name their kids after themselves so I don’t see why this would be weird. In fact, on [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls, Rory’s real name is [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] because her mother named her after herself!

I think you could make it work!

And it’s even nicer that you would name your daughter after you because it’s typically men who do this ( in a sense )
And then people could call you [name_f]Stella[/name_f] — or if you choose to go back to grace !
And then your daughter grace or [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]!

It makes me think of lorelai and [name_m]Rory[/name_m] from [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] girls and I love that!!!

I also love grace as a first or middle name!

It’s definitely not off limits! It’s actually pretty common for a child to be named after one of the parents middle name! I absolutely love the name [name_f]Grace[/name_f]! It’s just so sweet and girly!!!:blush::blush::blush:

This! :slight_smile:

1 Like