Is Gray to "out there"?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] found out we are expecting! Now to get serious about names. I have been toying with the name [name_u]Gray[/name_u] for a long time. Personally, I am in love with it but I do have concerns about what the general public will think. I know that many color names make beautiful names like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. But would naming my son [name_u]Gray[/name_u] be like naming a daughter Purple? I don’t want to give my child a name that is difficult to live with. I don’t love the typical longer forms of [name_u]Gray[/name_u] like [name_m]Grayson[/name_m] so I don’t think I would go that route.

Thanks for your input.

Ok this is ridiculously hypocritical but I don’t like [name_u]Gray[/name_u] because it reminds me of 50 Shades. Also it’s too overused for my (out there) taste…it’s not “out there” enough haha. The [name_u]Grey[/name_u] spelling is in the top 1000 on the SSA list. I would prefer [name_u]Slate[/name_u] or [name_m]Stone[/name_m]. But obviously I like color names in general…Appellation Mountain had a great post with so many color name ideas back in [name_u]November[/name_u] (I think)

I definitely wouldn’t worry about it being too unusual or weird to live with. I have a very unusual name myself which is probably why I’m not concerned about names being “too unusual” in general.

I disagree with the PP. I love [name_u]Gray[/name_u]! It’s not too out there in my opinion, but it may be for your taste. [name_u]Gray[/name_u] was a character in Jurassic World so it wouldn’t be too weird since it’s familiar. You probably would have a little trouble with spelling since [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is just, or more, popular. [name_u]Gray[/name_u] just happens to be one of my favorite colors, and nobody will ever convince me it’s a dull and sad color. There are so many color names and names rhyming with [name_u]Gray[/name_u] so if people think that it’s too out there they are wrong. :slight_smile:

[name_u]Gray[/name_u], as a first name, almost feels unthoughtful… It reminds me of sorrow, and incompleteness

I can see the appeal, its gives off a comfortable vibe too, like a gray rainy day, but its not my style

I don’t think it’s too out there. It’s actually rather popular.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the name [name_u]Gray[/name_u] and it’s on my list for either a boy or a girl. It’s sort of an honour name in my case as my father’s name is [name_u]Garry[/name_u] and I like the thought of using [name_u]Gray[/name_u] as an anagram of [name_u]Gary[/name_u]. It also happens to be my favourite colour too. I don’t have a boys combo yet, but my favourite for a girl at the moment is [name_u]Gray[/name_u] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f].

PS: I prefer the spelling [name_u]Gray[/name_u] for the reasons above (loses it’s family significance as [name_u]Grey[/name_u]) but I would say that the [name_u]Gray[/name_u] spelling feels more masculine to me and [name_u]Grey[/name_u] more feminine. No particular reason, just personal preference I guess.

It is not too out there to me and [name_u]Gray[/name_u] and its variant [name_m]Grayson[/name_m] are actually being used quiet a bit in the first and middle spots on both boys and girls. Despite the color being dull and relresenting sadness, etc, I do not get that feel from the name. You mentioned that the name has meaning for you, which makes it all the more special!

Definitely not too out there. I adore [name_u]Gray[/name_u], it’s very handsome. I have [name_u]Gray[/name_u] on my short list to honor my mom. [name_u]Gray[/name_u]/[name_u]Grey[/name_u] has been used for a long time. My mom heard of a couple that were born late 19th century/early 20th century.

I definitely dont think its too out there! I love [name_u]Gray[/name_u]! Personally for me its more of a middle name but thats only because I love one-syllable middle names. If [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] started somewhere, [name_u]Gray[/name_u] has too as well!