Is Idris too Elba?

Considering bumping [name_u]Idris[/name_u] from the longlist to the shortlist (for a highly improbable fourth child :joy:).

I love the sound and how international it is, but is it too tied to the actor [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f]? Would people assume we’re [name_m]Luther[/name_m] mega-fans?

Nothing against you, [name_u]Idris[/name_u], if you’re reading this! :upside_down_face:

I think there is a strong association with the actor but I honestly don’t think people will automatically assume your using [name_u]Idris[/name_u] because you love [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f]. I don’t think the connection is so strong it’s not unusable it’s not like BeyoncĂ© but I think that’s because the name is so internationally used and popular whereas BeyoncĂ© isn’t.

2 Likes

I don’t think the association is too overwhelming - it’s a great name and feels international and interesting

As someone with [name_u]Idris[/name_u] on her shortlist, I think [name_u]Idris[/name_u] is very wearable whether or not [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f] is the initial thought. I think the association can only help the name’s recognition and is not too star studded as to ONLY be in reference to him.

I’m guessing it may be different for you across the pond, but Welsh names are basically entirely unheard over my way. So any Welsh name that feels recognizable and spellable by ear and not toooooo out there gets a big boost in my book (I’ve got a fair bit of Welsh in me).

For me, the only association I have with the name is [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f]. As it’s pretty unusual and doesn’t really have any other connotations I think that people would make that connection and possibly assume you got the name from the actor, but I don’t think that makes it unusable. Your kids have pretty unique names anyway so I think if [name_u]Idris[/name_u] could work anywhere it would be in your set – it’s just up to you if you’re ok with hearing “oh, like [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f]?” a lot.

Thanks, everyone!

[quote=“[name_f]Gia[/name_f].berry, post:6, topic:338781”]
it’s just up to you if you’re ok with hearing “oh, like [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f]?” a lot.
[/quote]

I think I would be? [name_f]Juno[/name_f] already gets “Oh, like the film?” and [name_u]Kit[/name_u] sometimes gets “Like [name_u]Kit[/name_u] Harington?” and it doesn’t really bother me. But maybe “Oh, like [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f]?” would be one too many!

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to see so much positivity for [name_u]Idris[/name_u]! :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

I think most people are going to link this name with [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f], simply because he’s the only [name_u]Idris[/name_u] I’ve ever heard. But at the same time, it’s still usable. It’s not like he’s a negative association, or the name would sound ridiculous on anyone else. [name_m]Jenson[/name_m] is very associated with [name_m]Jenson[/name_m] Button, and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is very associated with Ms Kunis, and they’re still popular names.

I know an adorable little [name_u]Idris[/name_u], actually. I’ve never once followed his name with the thought of [name_f]Elba[/name_f]. Like any other name, it changes when you know one.

I’ve got a [name_m]Bruce[/name_m]. Introduce him, and take your pick. [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_m]Willis[/name_m], Springsteen
 Batman! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Oh dear :sweat_smile: Great name, though!

I really like [name_u]Idris[/name_u], and [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f] was how I first came upon the name. I think it’s perfectly usable. I also love [name_u]Ira[/name_u] but I’m not sure if that’s your style or not.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Idris[/name_u]! I think it’s totally usable. I’d consider it myself but it doesn’t work with our surname.

Thanks, everyone!

I do like [name_u]Ira[/name_u] but not enough. Unfortunately, it reminds me of the Irish republican group the IRA.

I love [name_u]Idris[/name_u]! Because it’s not very popular most people probably would think of [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f] but it’s a great name with a cool meaning and history. It also kind of feels like a male version of [name_f]Iris[/name_f] which I like. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am quite biased, but I love the name [name_u]Idris[/name_u]. I have my own adorable one! We chose it for its Welsh roots and because I’m quite fond of [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f]. :wink: It actually surprises me that some people don’t even know who he is, so I wouldn’t worry about the association. Or when people do make the connection, it’s always positive. Come on, who doesn’t love [name_u]Idris[/name_u] [name_f]Elba[/name_f]? Anyways, it’s a strong, yet gentle name and I like it’s cross-cultural roots, especially living in an urban environment. We have been happy with our choice.

Wow, what a fantastic name you chose! I’m so glad it’s been well-received. This is exactly what I love about it too :point_down:

Thanks for weighing in!