Is it bad to have sibsets with derivitives of the same name?

Example:

[name]Alex[/name] and [name]Alexis[/name]

I don’t like this idea at all. Each kid should have their own name, it’s tacky and cutesy like dressing all your kids in the same exact outfit all the time. I honestly feel like it’s a lack of creavity on the parent’s part.

Umm, well i dont care much for it. I think it’s a little unimaginative. Because in the case of- as you said- [name]Nicole[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name], they are so similar that it would be very difficult to have two children of that name. Also, the nickname for both the names is [name]Nic[/name]/k. So i think it would be very confusing not only to outsiders but when you are calling them in for dinner or introducing them. To me its almost the same as the people who give their children the same names. Such as i met a family the other day with both their children names [name]Andrew[/name]. Which i dont think is fair, i think with so many beautiful and handsome names in the world it would be a shame to use two so similar.

I would think this was a big no-no. [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Alexis[/name] have four of the same letters… in the same order, and [name]Nicole[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name] both start with “[name]Nic[/name]”. It is basically like naming your kids the same name. I’d pick whichever you like better and eliminate the one you like less. I don’t think it wouldn’t be as bad if it were, for example, [name]Adam[/name] and [name]Addison[/name] ([name]Addison[/name] means “son of [name]Adam[/name]”) but even that’s too close for me personally.

Honestly? I think that it is pretty bad. Naming siblings [name]Nicholas[/name] and [name]Nicole[/name], [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name] and [name]Samantha[/name] is just as bad as naming a child [name]William[/name] [name]Williamson[/name], [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Thompson[/name] or [name]John[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]. Not cool really not cool.

I think it’s awful. [name]How[/name] uncreative. Not to mention confusing, if they’re like [name]Nicole[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name] or [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Alexis[/name]. I don’t even like less obvious pairs, like [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Heidi[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name].

LOL…I guess this goes to show dont ask a question, if you already know the answer! I wanted to see what nameberries thought because I recently read on the internet (not nameberry) of a sibset in the [name]Alex[/name] family of names.

yes. especially when they have the same letters like that.

But like someone else said, I don’t like less obvious pairs either. Like I love both [name]James[/name] and [name]Seamus[/name]. but [name]Seamus[/name] is the irish version of [name]James[/name], so I would never use both of them.

I think its really awful and uncreative. For example, I know a family with two boys and a new baby girl named [name]Milo[/name], [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Miley[/name]. I mean, I can understand really loving a name, but I’ve never felt the need to name each kid a slightly different version of it. Seems to me that it would take some of the shine off of a favorite name.

I’m not really fond of it, mainly because of the massive confusion it would cause (I’d pity the younger sibling - I’m always called by my older siblings names, even by my parents; imagine how much that issue would be heightened if we had similar names), and also because it seems to me like the parents spent less time picking the second name, as if they made a list for the first, and the boy option was [name]Alex[/name] and the girl option [name]Alexis[/name], and they just didn’t bother to go on another name hunt.

That said, I’m more lenient about derivatives of the same name which most people may not know are related, for example [name]Ian[/name] and [name]Jacqueline[/name], both from [name]John[/name], probably wouldn’t be obvious to non-name nerds.

Also, I think it’s understandable to use, say, [name]Charlotte[/name] for your daughter as a middle name and then give your son the first name [name]Charles[/name].

[name]Auburn[/name]

I know sisters [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Millie[/name] - I think it’s too close. Couldn’t [name]Millie[/name] be a nn for [name]Emmeline[/name]?

[name]Don[/name]'t like it! I have friends with an [name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Andrea[/name]. So confusing! I don’t like the less obvious ones either. I have friends with [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]Sadie[/name], and another friend with [name]John[/name] & [name]Sean[/name] (which also rhyme!!!). Of course, I don’t like things that are way too close either, and I have friends with a [name]Brooke[/name] and [name]Brock[/name] (and their sister [name]Brie[/name]). [name]Just[/name] not my thing.

Welllll I don’t even like alliteration in sibsets, so… no thanks :wink: haha

I think it’s dangerous to lock yourself in to stuff like that, too. If you use [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Alexis[/name] for the first two, what happens for the third (if there is one), and beyond? You’ll run out of [name]Alex[/name] names soon enough, and while having the “same” name as your sibling is bad, even worse is the youngest kid named [name]Eric[/name] when all his older siblings are named [name]Alex[/name], [name]Alexis[/name], [name]Alec[/name], [name]Alejandra[/name], etc.

Same goes for alliteration. The Duggars are always the perfect example. Kid #19 has to wonder at some point if his name was chosen because his parents actually loved it, or if they were just grasping at J straws.

Each child should be unique, and you should love all their names completely. It isn’t “cute” to lock them into a category of names just to create a “matched set,” it makes you look like an immature parent.