Is it crazy to change my 1 week olds name?

Help! We were between 2 names and decided to choose at the hospital. I think we made a mistake and now that she’s one week old I’m wishing we went with the other name. It seems to fit her better. I feel like a crazy person since we already announced the baby’s name on social media to all friends and family.

Would you think it was crazy if someone you know did this? I also have no idea how I would go about letting people know we changed it without feeling like a flake.

1 Like

If you are sure that you want to change a name, because that’s the one you’ll be happy with, I’d say you should do it. She will have the name forever and you should go with the one you love. Often you have to meet a baby properly to decide on a name.
I wouldn’t find it weird if I was a family member. It’s up to you.

2 Likes

If you’re really sure you prefer the other name, I would just do it. The sooner, the better! :slight_smile: I don’t think you’re crazy. It just happens sometimes.

“Those who matter don’t mind, and those who mind don’t matter!”

5 Likes

CHANGE IT. If you do it now you’ll save yourself pain, money, and anxiety then if you waited a year+.

Change it! Go with what you feel is right. A week isn’t that long of a time so just say you got to know her better and now you know the right name. Some parents take weeks after the baby is born to decide on a name in the first place so perhaps you just felt rushed at the hospital. If someone I knew changed their child’s name after a week I wouldn’t even think twice about it.

1 Like

I agree with everyone! A week is definitely not too late to change her name. If I were explaining to family and friends, I’d just spell it out. “We had two top contenders, in the hospital we felt rushed and sleep deprived (guessing😅), and after a week of getting to know this sweet baby we feel the other name fits her better!”

2 Likes

My aunt and uncle did something similar. They came home from the hospital with their named baby, announced it to friends and family, and then decided a week or two later that it was the wrong name. They ended up telling my family that they were changing the name. It wasn’t a big deal, especially since only a week had passed. I think a lot of people do it.
I’d say if you want to change it, now is the time to do it! :blush: It is better to do it now than wait a while. Go for it!

1 Like

It’s only been a week, I say go for it! It’ll save you years of regret.

I agree with everyone else.

Agreeing with the consensus here. Now is the second best time to be realizing what the right name is/was all along.

1 Like

If you’re sure, now is the time to go for it!

We get quite a few posts about name regret here, and 1 week is one of the earliest I’ve ever seen – certainly not too late to change it. I know many parents who haven’t even chosen a name yet at 1 week (we get 6 weeks to register a birth here in the UK, and I’ve known some parents take the full 6 to decide).

I’m sure that no one will think it strange that you’ve decided, after getting to know your daughter a little bit, that your other choice fits her better. You might even get some empathetic comments, this is more common than I think many people realise!

Congratulations on your new daughter, by the way :two_hearts:

4 Likes

She is only a week old. I say that is totally fine to change her name. Better now than never.

Not crazy at all! I think now would be a good time to change it now you know her better