Is it egotistical to consider honoring your own name?

I don’t think it’s egotistical at all! Personally I actually know a family where the mother is named [name_f]Aleksandra[/name_f] and the son is [name_m]Aleksandr[/name_m] - they differentiate with the nicknames [name_f]Aleks[/name_f] and [name_m]Alek[/name_m] respectively. I think it’s cute and my middle name [name_f]Yasmin[/name_f] is one that I’d love to pass on. If you want to do it, I see no problem with it at all!

1 Like

I am not very comfortable at self aggrandizement :slight_smile: Thank you for the encouragement and for the suggestion about how to handle other siblings.

1 Like

@books_and_tea Thank you. That’s so wonderful to hear. And I :heart: your user name :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, that’s really normal!! I really love the name [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] (my name is emily) and I would probably use it as a middle name.

2 Likes

You’re so overthinking. [name_m]How[/name_m] is this egotistical? Think about how many male [name_m]Jr[/name_m]’s and [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_f]Doe[/name_f] the Thirds there are. Name your daughter the same name as you. Name any kid as an honor of you. Go off and ask anyone else who has a problem with a mother naming their kid after them, why they don’t have the same problems with fathers doing it. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you.

3 Likes

@PRSing You are so right. I definitely agree. The irony is that I wrote this last night in response to another thread.

This probably got me thinking about it and overthinking which I tend to do. It just seemed different when the question was posed about honoring oneself rather than someone else (male or female). But I believe I have received some resounding reassurance on this for which I am grateful :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think so. I’d name my daughter [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (different nickname and middle) in a heartbeat. Men use their names all the time for their sons, why not women for their daughters?

2 Likes

if you don’t mind my asking, do you find it egotistical when dads use [name_m]Jr[/name_m]’s for their sons? if you don’t, then there should be no reason to question if the same applies to you, or mothers in general.
but I do understand why you hesitate, because it ventures from society’s norm, and making unusual decisions always makes us pause for a second. so it’s totally natural to have this feeling, but I try to recognize the ways in which the patriarchy has seeped through the cracks, when I can. (I don’t mean to be political- just highlighting an element of history and culture as it relates to your question).

there really is nothing wrong with wanting to give your child your own namesake, whether it’s the mom or dad who does so. I personally would find it sweet and refreshing to meet a child who shared a name with her or his mom in some way. and it doesn’t have to be a feminist statement, or it can be- it’s up to you to ascribe that meaning to your decision. But either way, you shouldn’t be judged for it, and luckily there are a lot of things us women do today that are slowly being considered normal, that were unheard of in the age of our parents and grandparents. we’re progressing! woohoo!

Sorry for the lengthy response, I might be the one overthinking it :sweat_smile: just do what makes you comfortable and happy!

3 Likes

I think it’s fine! And I also want to give my daughter my middle name, [name_f]Rose[/name_f], but other variations due to personal reasons. And I always wanted name my daughter [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], even though my name’s [name_f]Emily[/name_f].

1 Like

It feels refreshing for a woman to be the one honored by her kid’s name in my opinion. I like how subtle the middle name connection is, too.

Slightly different but my mom gave all her kids her maiden name as a middle. I can’t speak to being left out, but I would probably do other family name variations for the rest of the kids’ middles to level the playing field

1 Like

I don’t find it egotistical. A lot of parents use their names or variations or their names in the middle slot for their kids.

2 Likes

For me, personally, I wouldn’t because I can think of thousands of people who I’d rather honor over myself. Maybe that says more about my self esteem than anything else though. I also don’t like my name so it’s very easy for me to come up with reasons why I don’t want to use it. Tbh though, I do find it a tad narcissistic for men to have Jrs, et al. [name_m]Just[/name_m] not a tradition I understand. But I don’t think you’re a bad person or full of yourself or something if you want to use a variation of your name. It’s just not for me personally.

I know tons of people who have done this (either passing down their middle name or using their first as the middle name) so I don’t find it strange at all. I think it’s nice, actually. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is my mother’s first name and my daughter also has it as her middle name. We’re expecting daughter #2 and thinking of using my first name as her middle, that way each daughter gets some part of me passed down, so to speak.

2 Likes

Not egotistical at all! I think it’s sweet. It’s not for everyone, but that’s completely personal. There is no right or wrong decision here, and giving your child one of your names or a form of your name is not and cannot be narcissistic in the slightest, no matter what anyone else may say or think. It’s a special connection between you and your child. [name_m]How[/name_m] can that be a bad thing? If you love and choose to [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] as a mn for a son, it’s perfect. I wouldn’t give it another thought! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s egotistical. I’m not a fan of [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. but that’s mainly because it seems inconvenient with things like mail. Personally, my brother was given 2 honour names (1 from each granddad) and I got none, but it doesn’t bother me at all. In fact, I’d argue that I got the better end of the deal because I have 2 uniques names.

1 Like

Plenty of people do it. In our culture, we only name for those who have passed on, not for the living. I don’t think it’s egotistical, it’s basic human desire to want your memory to live on in your progeny.

1 Like

My sister has the same middle name as my mom and I don’t think that’s weird.

1 Like

I dont think it’s wrong at all! So long as you love the name :slight_smile:

1 Like

A girl can be [name_m]Junior[/name_m] or the Second, just like a boy can. It’s just not as commonly done. I think it wouldn’t be any different than wondering if the siblings of a boy named [name_m]Junior[/name_m] would be jealous. If you want to use your own name, or a version of it for your child, go ahead! [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] & [name_u]Desi[/name_u] Arnaz did just that. If you aren’t sure, then maybe as a middle.

I have the same middle name as my mother & I think its sweet. I don’t think my sister is offended or anything.

2 Likes

@ElizabethAntoinette I agree, and even why not mothers for their sons. As someone else wrote in a thread somewhere yesterday, in most situations sons especially will carry their father’s last name with them for the rest of their life, so why not have a part of their mother’s legacy in them too. Thank you for your encouragement.

1 Like