Is it egotistical to consider honoring your own name?

Not at all. Giving middle names based in the parents’ first or middle names is quite common. [name_f]My[/name_f] brother has my dad’s middle name, which is also our grandfathers first name (and the grandfather’s grandfather’s name). [name_f]My[/name_f] mother also shares her middle name with her mother.
For me, I personally have little interest in naming a child after myself. I would rather honour my parents and/or grandparents. That said, I am considering adding ‘[name_f]Anna[/name_f]’ as an additional middle to my name when i get married, based on the ‘[name_f]Ann[/name_f]’ middle name my mum and grandmother share, and would then consider giving it, or another similar name to my daughter. Not for me, but because I know it would mean a lot to my nan and mother.

1 Like

My future daughter- if I have one- will have the same middle name as me, [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. She would be the 6th generation to carry the name on my mothers side of the family and I think it’s a really special tradition.

1 Like

I’m Jewish of European descent.

1 Like

Not egotistical at all! Fathers are honored all the time, so why would it be weird to honor the mom? However, I do see where those feelings are coming from. I would try to ignore them. Honoring you is not a bad thing at all, it’s very sweet and gives y’all an amazing connection.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was reading other people’s comments and I felt the need to share my opinion on siblings having honors.

My older brother’s middle names are both honors (one of them honoring my mom) and my first names and middle are both honors (my middle honors my mom as well). (We both have her maiden name.) I would feel left out if I didn’t have any honors in my name. I think I would feel like maybe I wasn’t good enough to get an honor or something. So for that reason, I would use an honor for every kid, just so they don’t feel left out.

2 Likes

@AdroitArtemis thank you for sharing that perspective. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it needs to be a family honor for everyone if one child has a family related honor. Or do you think as long as the child knows they have an honoring name for someone or something, it is enough?

1 Like

Chiming in again:
Clearly, you care about the aspect of each child having a name that bears a significance greater than “a name that we just love.” In my opinion, as long as each child knows that there’s a special reason for his/her name (named for a special relative, for a value you wish for them, etc.) then that’s good. Not everyone needs a ‘honor name’ of a family member, but someone/something that has a deeper, significant value to you. Then they’ll each feel that you’ve entrusted them with a meaningful essence.

1 Like

Nope I don’t think honor names just have to honor family. One of my brother’s middle names honors my dad’s best friend (who also happens to be my brother’s God father). I think as long as it honors someone that important to you or the child, that’s all the matters :slight_smile:

I don’t think this is odd or self-serving at all. Parents giving their own names to children as middle names (sometimes first names) is quite common. Multiple of our nephews / nieces have their parents names as middles. Totally normal. :blush:

1 Like