is it okay if only 1 of the 2 has a nickname?

Our daughter [name]Lucia[/name] “[name]Lou[/name]-sha” goes by her full name. We thought she might be [name]Lucy[/name], but she is not. She is definitely [name]Lucia[/name].

Is it wrong to come up with a name for #2 that has a built-in nickname?

ie: [name]Josephine[/name] we would call [name]Josie[/name]

What are your thoughts? Is that unfair in some way to [name]Lucia[/name]?

[name]Lucia[/name] is gorgeous, and in my opinion, it’s in no way “unfair” to give a sibling an equally beautiful name that may also have a pretty nn.

I don’t think it would be a problem. I don’t like any of the nicknames for [name]Alice[/name], so she just goes by [name]Alice[/name]. My 2nd daughter is known almost exclusively by her nickname, [name]Molly[/name], and my 3rd daughter is called [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Janie[/name] pretty much interchangeably. My oldest daughter’s lack of a nickname hasn’t upset her yet (she’s still very young though), but I figure she can always come up with one later if she wants. (I’ll probably keep calling her [name]Alice[/name] though since I’m her mother and I think I should get certain privileges because of this!)

[name]Lucia[/name] is gorgeous, and in my opinion, it’s in no way “unfair” to give a sibling an equally beautiful name that may also have a pretty nn.

I don’t think this is usually a big deal, and in any case you’re fine here because it’s not the case that [name]Lucia[/name] doesn’t have nn options, just because she’s ended up going by the full name. She can change to [name]Lucy[/name] later if she wants, and could easily also be [name]Lu[/name], [name]Lulu[/name], [name]Lula[/name], or Sia - it’s what she wants. [name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] sound great together! All best!

Dont worry about it! I had three or four nicknames growing up and my sister had none because her name was short and nice on its own and I dont think either one of us ever realized that she was “lacking” a nn.

I definitely don’t see a problem. [name]Lucia[/name] can always choose to go by a nickname later- if she wants to be called [name]Lucy[/name] or [name]Lulu[/name], she’ll introduce herself as such. Likewise, [name]Josie[/name] may decide she prefers [name]Josephine[/name] and ask to be called that. Nicknames are the small bit of choice we have in our names- our parents can plan them and give them to us, but in the end, it’s each individual’s choice about whether to use them.

I think it’s totally fine! :slight_smile: