Is it really THAT bad?

DH’s mn is [name]Lynn[/name], and our daughter’s name ends in -[name]LYN[/name]. My mn is [name]Leigh[/name]. We are expecting our second in [name]January[/name]. We both really like the nn [name]Lexi[/name], and I’m thinking of using Alexeigh if it’s a girl. Is Alexeigh really that horrible?

In my opinion, the spelling really distracts from an otherwise nice-sounding name. I’d go with [name]Alexia[/name], [name]Alexis[/name] or [name]Alexandra[/name]/[name]Alexandria[/name] if you love the nickname [name]Lexi[/name].

I really want an -eigh name, though. Also, our daughter has a very unusual name (to my knowledge, there are a total of 3 others with the name between the ages of 4 and 13), so we don’t want a common name.

Honestly? (I’m assuming that’s what you want) I think it’s pretty terrible. This is not a name I would enjoy putting at the top of my resume. Why not just give her the first name you like and use [name]Leigh[/name] as her middle name? There’s never a good reason for kre8ive spelling in my book.

It sounds like pig latin. On the plus side, I really like [name]Lexi[/name] as a nickname.

Yeah, sorry to be blunt, but it really is that horrible. You say you don’t want a common name, but the [name]Alex[/name] names ([name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Alexis[/name], [name]Alexa[/name], [name]Lexi[/name], etc) have been ultra-popular for decades. Not only that, but the -leigh ending-- [name]Ashleigh[/name], [name]Marleigh[/name], [name]Kayleigh[/name]-- is extremely trendy at the moment. So instead of being unique, it’s just a combination of two hot trends. [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] is gorgeous and classy though, and you can definitely nickname her Alexeigh. Other suggestions, not sure if any are your style:

[name]Alexandrine[/name]/[name]Alexandrie[/name]: [name]Both[/name] are lovely French variations of [name]Alexandra[/name], but they may be a little too long and frilly… either way, they’re definitely unique!

[name]Electra[/name]: It may be too much of a stretch, but I think it’s possible to get to the nickname [name]Lexi[/name] from Electra. Too electric, though? It means ‘amber’.

Alecto: A name from Greek mythology, meaning ‘unceasing’. Might be a little too unique, though.

[name]Leticia[/name]: Also may be too much of a stretch, but I think it works! And the alliteration of [name]Leticia[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] is lovely. I like this a lot, actually.

Any -let ending name: This is a HUGE stretch, but why not? [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Nicolette[/name], [name]Arlette[/name]?

That’s all I could find that get to the nickname [name]Lexi[/name]. Are you open to any other suggestions, or is [name]Lexi[/name] the name? You could always just do [name]Lexi[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]… really cutesy, but doable, I think.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Yeah, it is pretty bad. Sorry but thats the truth. I would not want to go through like with the name Alexeigh. [name]Alexa[/name] with the nn [name]Lexi[/name] would be my suggestions.

Yes, it really is that bad.

Well, Alexeigh doesn’t even really end in leigh, so if you want to use [name]Leigh[/name] I would use it as a middle name. [name]Alexandra[/name] or [name]Alexandria[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] will get you to the nickname [name]Lexi[/name] and include the name [name]Leigh[/name] without making your little girl go through life repeating “Alexeigh, A-L-E-X-E-I-G-H.”

I think [name]Alexa[/name] [name]Leigh[/name], [name]Alexis[/name] [name]Leigh[/name], or [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] would be much better options to get to [name]Lexi[/name] and you’d still be using [name]Leigh[/name]. If you really don’t want a common name, Alexeigh is definitely a bad idea. The -leigh/ley/lie/lee/ly/li ending is insanely popular at the moment. [name]Just[/name] look at the top 50- [name]Natalie[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Hailey[/name], [name]Kaylee[/name], and [name]Riley[/name] all appear, plus they’ve all got multiple alternate spellings farther down on the popularity list. The [name]Alex[/name]- family has been huge since the late eighties. Alexeigh itself may not be common, but in a class with kids named [name]Alexi[/name], [name]Alexis[/name], [name]Alexa[/name], [name]Alexia[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], and [name]Alejandro[/name], Alexeigh really won’t stand out at all, and the spelling will be downright confusing for people.

I don’t mean to discourage you from using a name you love, but I wanted to give you my honest opinion with some facts so you’d have the right information. Best of luck in your name search and with the new baby!

I agree with all the PPers. It doesn’t fit your desire to get away from common and the spelling is really going to be frustrating for her growing up, constantly having to spell it everywhere she goes. It’s also a spelling that could have future problems for her on resumes/college applications

Why not just spell it Alexie?

Yeah, sorry to be blunt, but it really is that horrible. You say you don’t want a common name, but the [name]Alex[/name] names ([name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Alexis[/name], [name]Alexa[/name], [name]Lexi[/name], etc) have been ultra-popular for decades. Not only that, but the -leigh ending-- [name]Ashleigh[/name], [name]Marleigh[/name], [name]Kayleigh[/name]-- is extremely trendy at the moment. So instead of being unique, it’s just a combination of two hot trends. [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] is gorgeous and classy though, and you can definitely nickname her Alexeigh. Other suggestions, not sure if any are your style:

[name]Alexandrine[/name]/[name]Alexandrie[/name]: [name]Both[/name] are lovely French variations of [name]Alexandra[/name], but they may be a little too long and frilly… either way, they’re definitely unique!

[name]Electra[/name]: It may be too much of a stretch, but I think it’s possible to get to the nickname [name]Lexi[/name] from Electra. Too electric, though? It means ‘amber’.

Alecto: A name from Greek mythology, meaning ‘unceasing’. Might be a little too unique, though.

[name]Leticia[/name]: Also may be too much of a stretch, but I think it works! And the alliteration of [name]Leticia[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] is lovely. I like this a lot, actually.

Any -let ending name: This is a HUGE stretch, but why not? [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Nicolette[/name], [name]Arlette[/name]?

That’s all I could find that get to the nickname [name]Lexi[/name]. Are you open to any other suggestions, or is [name]Lexi[/name] the name? You could always just do [name]Lexi[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]… really cutesy, but doable, I think.

Good luck! :)[/quote]

As always my well-spoken friend [name]Iris[/name] has already eloquently expressed my point.

Since the 90’s the ‘lex’ lexicon has been expanding to the point of disinterest. -[name]Leigh[/name] has become the hott thing of the past decade and the mash-up will not do your daughter any favors in the realm of interesting, advantageous, or uncommon.

I agree with [name]Phoebe[/name]'s Mum, use [name]Leigh[/name] as a mn! I think that is a lovely idea.

Blessings <3

Hello, I think I know you from BtN ([name]Jade[/name] [name]Diana[/name]/aka[name]Zsa[/name]). If so, I think compared to your other daughter’s name Alexeigh is a bit bland, well maybe bland isn’t the right word for it…but it does seem less adventurous since her name is so unique. I think it is because I know A LOT of [name]Alex[/name]* so I feel like she could fall into that very easily while your other daughter will always stand out. Have you considered maybe just Lexeigh? Everleigh? Ayleigh? [name]Raleigh[/name]? Daveigh? [name]Marleigh[/name]? Or as others have said naming her something like [name]Alexandrie[/name]/Alexadrine/[name]Alexandrina[/name]/[name]Alexina[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] and calling her Lexeigh. [name]Love[/name] the idea of a little [name]Lexi[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] (not sure about how many MNs you want or how you feel on alliteration though). I’m sure you’ll choose something great.

Mn [name]Leigh[/name] is not an option. We plan on using the same pattern as we used with our first. Caemlyn is after dh, her first mn is [name]Sparrow[/name], which has significance to me, and her second mn is [name]Gail[/name], which was chosen by my grandparents. This one will be Name ending in eigh, name significant to dh, name chosen by a family member.

Our daughter, Caemlyn, has an unusual name, but it still fits with the current trends. I also occasionally call her [name]Catie[/name]-Pie, so if she continues to use the [name]Catie[/name] part of that when she gets older, she’ll have a common nn. I care a lot more about personal and family significance than trends and popularity, though. Her name was not chosen because it was trendy, it just happened to turn out that way.

So, if anyone has any suggestions that fit with having the nn [name]Lexi[/name] and ending in -eigh (I’d settle for -lee, but would prefer -eigh, and the -eigh doesn’t have to be -leigh…it’s the spelling of my mn I like), please let me know. Otherwise, there very well may be an Alexeigh in this world in a few months, and I know you all don’t want that! :slight_smile: :smiley: :wink: :lol:

Honestly, the first thing that popped in my head are those icebreaker games kids play at camp, etc. where you have to go around and use a word to describe you that goes with you name—smiley [name]Shannon[/name], happy [name]Hannah[/name], and so on and Sexy Alexeigh is what came to mind. It feels made up, very difficult to spell and vaguely stripper-ish to me. Sorry to be blunt, but I hate it and would roll my eyes if a kid with that name was on my class roll.