Is it right to name a baby something you wish was your name?

Let me clarify. If my last name wasn’t [name]Taylor[/name], I would have certainly been named [name]Elizabeth[/name] because it’s always been my mom’s favorite name. I have been bitter about that my whole life, and have always felt as if it was supposed to be my name. I use [name]Betsey[/name] as my name on any video game or anything like that. I’ve seriously thought about changing my name to [name]Elizabeth[/name] and going by [name]Betsey[/name]. Through the years, the nickname I would go by has changed, but I’ve always wanted to be [name]Elizabeth[/name]. It is just so me.

So, should I name my daughter [name]Elizabeth[/name]? I feel sort of like that’s forcing her to be a mini-me moreso than even using my own name would be. It’s what I WANT to be, you know? Seems like it could be too much pressure. But on the other hand, what if I don’t use it and always regret it, like my mom. She’ll say “I should have just named you [name]Elizabeth[/name]”, and I’ll say that I wish she had! [name]Will[/name] I have the same conversation with my daughter?

I always think about whether or not I would like to be named any name I’m considering, but this is different. What do you think? Anyone else have a similar situation?

Hey, you! :slight_smile: [name]How[/name]'s [name]Baby[/name] D? I hope all is well!

As you know, I love, love, love the name [name]Elizabeth[/name], and I adore [name]Betsy[/name], too.

For what it’s worth, I personally wouldn’t feel pressure if I knew I were given the name that my mom had wished for herself. I would know how much she loved the name, and for me, I think it would just make me feel special.

I always wished I were an [name]Anne[/name], and I fully plan on having a baby [name]Anne[/name]! All of my favorite names for daughters are actually names that I have, at one point or another, wished for myself, and I think that’s totally normal.

You have the best family names, [name]Lyndsay[/name], and whichever name you choose, be it [name]Elizabeth[/name] or anything else, you can’t go wrong!

[name]Elizabeth[/name] clearly has meaning for you (plus, to me, it’s an amazing name), and I hope you follow your heart! Oh! I’m sure you’ve already thought of this, but if you decide against [name]Elizabeth[/name] as a first name, you could always use it as a middle. :slight_smile:

Talk to you later! :slight_smile:

Have a good night!

I think it is great to! Most parents name their kids their absolute favourite names, like yours, [name]Elizabeth[/name]. But, beware, your name taste may change when you have a kid. I comend you and want you to name her that, and here are soem middle names even:
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Mylie[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ann[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]

I think it’s perfectly fine! I actually think it should be a guideline for naming children-- don’t name them something you yourself wouldn’t want to be named. For example, I love the name [name]Persephone[/name], but I certainly wouldn’t want to be named it. [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a great name and you obviously love it, since you’ve even considered changing your name to it.

In your case, I think it could even be a way to honor your mom-- by using her favorite name for your daughter.

I actually think that it is a great way to choose a name for a child. Too often, I think that we name the baby or the child without thinking about what it would be like to be an adult with that name.

Given the background story you described, I would feel exactly the same way you do about the name [name]Elizabeth[/name], both in relation to myself and in wanting to give the name to a future daughter. Your mother had a compelling reason not to use [name]Elizabeth[/name], but hopefully no such reason prevents you from using it for a daughter.

The bottom line is that [name]Elizabeth[/name] is an extra special name to you (and your mother), which you love. That makes it the PERFECT name for your daughter. It honors you and your mother. Besides, we should all give our daughters a name we ourselves would want.

As a previous poster said, if I were your daughter, I would feel very special and honored to get the name [name]Elizabeth[/name]. In fact, if you do not name your daughter [name]Elizabeth[/name], and she hears the story, she is likely to feel very disappointed that this beloved name bypassed her too, and it may be hard for her to understand why. I think using the name would be a neat way to strenghten the bond between the three of you. If she hears that you wanted to use the name for her and did not, she will probably feel like you do – that it was supposed to be her name. In addition to all of this, Elizaeth is a gorgeous, classic name.

You should totally plan on using [name]Elizabeth[/name] for your daughter!!

You guys are so right! I’m so happy you all said what you did, you have no idea! I am trying to commit to [name]Elizabeth[/name] as the name. See, sometimes I feel a little bored because I’ve been thinking about that name for soooo long. Not bored as in tired of it, I know I’ll never get tired of it… But I so love so many different names and [name]Elizabeth[/name] is just so classic that it seems boring, a little. My husband thinks it’s too boring with [name]Dashiell[/name]. But I think it makes [name]Dashiell[/name] seem more like an old fashioned name, not some weird newfangled thing. Ok, I really do love everything about [name]Elizabeth[/name]. And I think [name]Betsey[/name] will give it the unexpected twist that I love. And if she wants to go by [name]Eliza[/name] or [name]Beth[/name] or [name]Bette[/name] or [name]Libby[/name] or whatever when she’s older, that’s fine with me! I think [name]Dash[/name] and [name]Betsey[/name] is unexpected and fun.

Ok! I’m getting excited! I think I’m really going to have an [name]Elizabeth[/name] someday (hopefully not too long from now!). Gosh, I can’t wait to see how shocked my family is when I actually name my baby something as normal [name]Elizabeth[/name]! They’ll be so happy!

Oh, and i think [name]Elizabeth[/name] sounds way better with my new last name! Soooo cute!

AND! I always think about whether I would like to have whatever name. There are countless names i love but wouldn’t like to be names. Like [name]Georgiana[/name] or [name]Electra[/name] or [name]Lucia[/name]. And others I would like to be named but think probably my daughter wouldn’t, like [name]Moxie[/name] ( though, if she’s anything like me, she’d like it!). That’s sort of how I’ve gotten my short list down, it has to be a name that I would personally love to have, but that isn’t just a guilty pleasure type favorite that only someone exactly like me would Iike. I don’t know if that makes sense, but there’s my logic!

I don’t feel like there’s an issue with it. Especially since [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a classic, common, and customizable name. I mean if you wanted to be named something outlandish like [name]Aphrodite[/name], and then pushed that on your daughter it might be more of an issue.