Is it such a terrible name?

[name]Hi[/name],[name]Nana[/name] again. Our naming dilemma is still unsolved but we’re hopeful.

Right not we’re considering [name]Bodhi[/name], [name]Kai[/name], [name]Ren[/name] and Chai/[name]Chaim[/name]. I’m feeling partial toward [name]Bodhi[/name] and [name]Ren[/name]. The other half really likes [name]Kai[/name]. I like it but I’m not in “love” with it.

Our brother half-jokingly half-seriously suggested we consider the name [name]Oz[/name].

I absolutely love the name. Perhaps because I did not grow up in [name]America[/name] I don’t think the [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] association is so bad (but then again,I don’t think Chai=tea is such a bad name). We don’t live in the US “full time” but we might be here long enough for the kids to have some schooling here. [name]Will[/name] [name]Oz[/name] be the doom of a “part time” American school aged boy?

What do you think?

He would have a very hard time with the name [name]Oz[/name]! He would be referred to as the “[name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name],” and I imagine kids would pressure him to grant their wishes.

I’m not sure it would be too bad. He would absolutely get “[name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name]” comments, and the name would be very unusual. But the manager of the Chicago White Sox is named [name]Ozzie[/name], and that doesn’t seem so weird. He’s originally from Venezuela, so he wasn’t in the US as a schoolboy, when I would expect teasing to occur, but I’ve never even thought of the [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] in association with his name. I also knew a guy in high school who was sometimes called [name]Ozzie[/name] because his last name began with “[name]Oz[/name].” If your son was called [name]Ozzie[/name] maybe that wouldn’t seem too surprising and would decrease the likelihood of [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] comments.

[name]Do[/name] kids even watch The [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] these days!? When there are so many other Disney / Pixar / etc movies out there?

I’m Australian, so [name]Oz[/name] makes me this Aussie, not [name]Dorothy[/name].

I don’t think it’s awful, but I like your other options better, especially [name]Ren[/name] and [name]Chaim[/name] :slight_smile:

I agree with you! I fony yhihnk any old timey movies are seen by kids anymore these days. more popular movies come out, like finding nemo, marlin would get the finding nemo accosiation, not the wizard marlin. I dont think [name]Oz[/name] would get the wizard of oz association.

I love [name]Kai[/name] it’s my oldest sons name he is now 10 and thinks he has the best name ever. As for [name]Oz[/name] I don’t think of The [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] but the prison drama on HBO and [name]Ozzie[/name] [name]Osbourne[/name] neither of which I would want associated with a child.

I think of [name]Ozzie[/name] [name]Osbourne[/name]. I would use [name]Oscar[/name] or another o name and shorten it to [name]Oz[/name].

I would be curious as to how you came up with these names. It is quite an unusual list, it seems.
The only name on your list that I like, personally, is [name]Kai[/name]. [name]Chaim[/name] is nice, but not Chai (I can’t get beyond ‘tea’ on that one).

Actually, I think kids still do know about “the wizard of oz”. Certainly, their parents will know about it. I’d advise against “[name]Oz[/name]” just because it sounds really kooky to me. Plus, there are all the other slightly strange associations it would give to your kid: Australia, [name]Ozzie[/name], etc. I’d cross it off your list unless you have a really great excuse to use it.

As an Aussie the word [name]Oz[/name] means Australia. [name]Oscar[/name] is a nice name and the nn of [name]Oz[/name]/[name]Ozzie[/name] would be quite okay but on its own it is a difficult name to own.

I love [name]Kai[/name], it is a handsome name and dates back hundreds of years. I would definitely put this at the top of my list.

More

[name]Kai[/name] [name]Orion[/name]
Khan [name]Rio[/name]

[name]Bodhi[/name]-like this one
[name]Kai[/name]- nice name
[name]Ren[/name] - looks unfinished maybe as a nn for amore substancial name
Chai/[name]Chaim[/name]- tea association

[name]Oz[/name] is a cool name but would definitely only use it as a nn for something like [name]Oscar[/name] or [name]Oliver[/name]

Heres a few others ya might like
love the [name]Orion[/name] suggestion btw
[name]Jago[/name]
Finlo
[name]Nemo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Ari[/name]
[name]Hawk[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Zeke[/name]
[name]Ace[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Rafe[/name]
[name]Brody[/name]
[name]Gus[/name]

I like [name]Kai[/name] more than the other names. As for [name]Oz[/name], I would go with [name]Ozzy[/name]/[name]Oswald[/name]/[name]Oscar[/name]. I don’t think that’s a bad name at all!

[name]Chaim[/name] is nice too – pronounced Shy-eem? I have a relative whose son is [name]Chaim[/name] and that’s how they pronounce it.

There is a character named [name]Oz[/name] on [name]Buffy[/name] the Vampire Slayer. (with positive associations)

[name]Oz[/name] is not so odd, and [name]Oscar[/name] in fact has become quite a groovy name, and so [name]Oswald[/name] and [name]Osbert[/name] etc are catching on as alternatives. [name]Oz[/name] and [name]Ozzie[/name] are nicknames for those. I do like [name]Ren[/name], though there is the [name]Ren[/name] & Stimpy association plus the birdlike [name]Wren[/name] is also very stylish. [name]Chaim[/name] has its pronunciation problems, Chai has the tea, [name]Kai[/name] is great but again, perhaps more fashionable than you think.

I definitely would not use the name [name]Oz[/name]. Between the [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] and [name]Ozzie[/name] [name]Osborne[/name] references, I don’t think your kid would appreciate it years down the road.

I’ll just put this out there - I’m from Kansas. I shudder to think about all the [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] references the poor kid would get. I would never use the name, nor would I ever use [name]Dorothy[/name] or any of it’s variants. Although, I don’t think [name]Oz[/name] would be a big deal outside of the U.S. I really like the idea of [name]Oswald[/name], and use [name]Oz[/name] as a nickname.

[name]LOVE[/name] the names [name]Bodhi[/name] and [name]Kai[/name]. Personally my favourite.
As for [name]Oz[/name], I think if you like it use it. I agree with the many posts here that kids nowadays don’t really watch [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name], and truthfully I don’t think kids pay attention or care about teasing as much as us adults.
Really, any name can be made fun of. You will always find those kids that think they’re “too-good” and they’ll find something mean to say about anyone and everyone…normal name or unique.
I say if you like [name]Oz[/name], name your kid [name]Oz[/name]. He’ll stand out and if he’s one of the so called “cool” kids then he’ll have a really cool name!! :slight_smile:

The names we consider are Spanish, Hebrew, Japanese or Buddhist. These are the ethnic, linguistic and religious groups present in our family. Ideally we want short names that won’t be butchered in Spanish, English or Japanese because our family divides its time between the US and Japan, and when in the US we are part of the Hispanic-American community. I try to avoid certain consonants that cannot be pronounced with thick Japanese accent because, ideally, I would like for my parents and siblings to be able to pronounce the children’s names properly.

We do our best to accomodate to all our linguistic and ethnic roots. It is important for us and also, easier for the children when they travel across frontiers with us. This is why we have odd names. Our choices are limited so we are digging hard in the name books and websites.

Thank you all for your help =)

[name]Tomi[/name] and [name]Kane[/name] are Japanese names that translate well into English usage. [name]Do[/name] you like them?

Eg [name]Tomas[/name] [name]Kai[/name] nn [name]Tomi[/name] or [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Kai[/name]

[name]Kane[/name] [name]Tomas[/name]

Thank you [name]Rollo[/name]. [name]Both[/name] names were on our original list but didn’t make it to the finals. We don’t imagine either name in our family. Thank you very much for your ideas though. You are right, those names work very well.

Where I live, I would stay away from the name [name]Oswald[/name] ([name]Lee[/name] [name]Harvey[/name]). I like [name]Oz[/name] but not sure how to get there in long-form. If it’s [name]Ozzy[/name] people will think he’s named after [name]Ozzy[/name] [name]Osborn[/name].