Is it usable?

What are your opinions on the name [name]Maxim[/name]/[name]Maksim[/name]? Is it usable, or does the mens magazine ruin its apeal? Does the spelling [name]Maksim[/name] help distant it from the negative association? Thanks.

My first thought was “a maxim” - like, a saying that’s popularly accepted as being true.

[name]Hi[/name]!

It reminds me of [name]Maksim[/name] Chmerkovskiy, a professional dancer on ABC’s reality dance competition, Dancing With the Stars! And, he’s kind of a stud, if I must say so myself. So, I vote YES for [name]Maksim[/name], and I love the nickname [name]Maks[/name] ([name]Max[/name])…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

It’s a familiar Russian name; I don’t think of it as the word, let alone a magazine. Considering other Russian names, is it said Maxeem?

It is a very cool name, and I like it in theory. But unfortunately, I think that (in [name]America[/name], at least) there will indeed be a strong association with the magazine. We name fans may think of the name’s background or more positive associations, but I think it’s important to remember that we aren’t really representative of the general public in that respect. I think the [name]Maksim[/name] spelling looks better than [name]Maxim[/name], but of course they sound the same when spoken. This one may be a little over-the-top, but do you like [name]Maximus[/name]? Tacking on the -us takes away the [name]Maxim[/name] association, for me. I actually like the sound of [name]Maxim[/name] better, but not the association. [name]Just[/name] my humble opinion, though!

Yep, I think of Dancing with the Stars, too. [name]Maksim[/name] doesn’t remind me of [name]Maxim[/name] magazine at all. Actually, a guy probably would not mind sharing his name with that magazine, he might think it was cool.

I do think it’s too associated with the magazine. What do you think of Macsen? It’s Welsh and comes with the (I think) adorable nickname of [name]Mac[/name].

When I lived in Montreal I went to school with a [name]Maksim[/name], and which worked in French but… I have a hard time seeing it in English, to be honest. [name]Way[/name] too close to [name]Maxine[/name]/[name]Maxime[/name] I think, which is decidedly in the girl-name camp. I can also see “Maximum” and “Maxipad” befalling this kid, the latter quite because of the association with [name]Maxine[/name].

I think of [name]Maks[/name] from Dancing with the Stars as well. I think a very cool name. I’d probably go with the [name]Maksim[/name] spelling.

In my neighborhood there are a lot of immigrant names, so here it would be pronounced “Make-seem”.

As for [name]Maxim[/name] - I doubt that magazine will still be popular by the time your son comes of age, so I wouldn’t worry about that.