Is Katniss really useable?

See the results of this poll: Is Katniss useable?

Respondents: 84 (This poll is closed)

• Sure : 16 (19%)
  • On the fence : 7 (8%)
  • As an mn only : 13 (15%)
  • No: 48 (57%)

I think [name]Katniss[/name] sounds a little too much like catnip or cat piss, tbh.

Nope. [name]Even[/name] though I’m a big fan of The Hunger Games, I don’t think [name]Katniss[/name] is usable. I know it’s different, but I don’t think it’s different from naming your baby [name]Renesmee[/name].

No, I don’t think it is. I expect there will be many people naming their baby girls this in the forseeable future though.

No, I don’t think it ever will be. It was made for that character and nobody else. Anyway, the sound is rather undesirable- it sounds like cat pis, or cat nip, or cat-ness (like the quality of being a cat? haha, I don’t know). I’d pass if I were you. You could use it as a nickname maybe… if you had a daughter named [name]Katharine[/name] [name]Iris[/name], [name]Katniss[/name] would be a totally understandable nn.

Nope. It’s not that great to begin with and is too identifiable with the Hunger Games (I wouldn’t advocate Peeta for a boy either). [name]IMO[/name] it would be like naming a kid [name]Buffy[/name] (after the vampire slayer) or [name]Frodo[/name] or Lestat at the height of those movies/books.

First, responding to @namelover7, [name]Katniss[/name] is a real plant, it’s one of the common names of the Sagittaria plant. I think Sagittaria would have made a much prettier name for a great archer :slight_smile: Here’s a link so you know I’m not lying. Sagittaria - Wikipedia

However, I do agree with the others that it sounds a lot like cat piss and I don’t like that. I do think it would be fine in the middle if you loved it though. I do think Sagittaria would be better though, since it’s the real plants name.

Not very usable as a first name, it has too many connections to The Hunger Games. I quite like it as a middle name though, it makes an interesting choice. I’d say go for it in the middle but avoid as a first name.

I’m going against the status quo by saying sure, why not?
I am sure many popular names originated from literature. Ie Shakespearian names.
Although I personally wouldn’t use [name]Katniss[/name] I find it quite pretty.
[name]Love[/name] [name]Primrose[/name] too.

I agree that it’s too connected to The Hunger Games. I like the sound of it and the name itself in theory, but it just doesn’t seem all that usable to me. It’ll always be connected to the books. While I love other names in the series ([name]Primrose[/name], [name]Rue[/name], [name]Johanna[/name], etc.), and I like the idea of [name]Katniss[/name], it just doesn’t seem usable. I think [name]Katrien[/name] is a similar, more accessible [name]Kat[/name]- name.

I actually really love this name, and not just because I’m a huge Hunger Games fan! You can use [name]Katherine[/name] nicknames for it ([name]Kat[/name], [name]Kitty[/name], [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Katie[/name]) and I love the name [name]Katniss[/name] [name]Belle[/name] :slight_smile:

I like botanical names and I’d support Sagittaria, and I like [name]Primrose[/name] though I’d probably never use it, but [name]Katniss[/name] doesn’t really sound that great to me.

I prefer some other K-botanicals, like [name]Kerria[/name] (which is a pretty yellow flowering shrub) and Kalmia (aka mountain laurel), neither of which have any recent bestsellers weighing them down with baggage.

As far as [name]Kat[/name]-nicknames, I prefer [name]Katrina[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], and [name]Kathleen[/name].

I really dislike this, could be an ok middle name but i’m another who instantly read [name]Cat[/name] Piss.

Normally i don’t agree when people say that just makes me think XXX but this one was instant for me.

Maybe as a nickname, love the suggestion of [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Iris[/name], i’m currently mourning never being able to use [name]Iris[/name], i need a puppy!

I voted for it to only be in the middle. I like the name and the character, but I think its just too associated with the books to work as a fn.