Is Leo too common? Help!

Hi berries,
Our first baby boy is due in early [name_u]August[/name_u]. I have Greek heritage so would like to include that some how.

My husband and I have always really like the name [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], but I’m thinking now it’s too common. What do you think?

Other names we quite like are:
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m] (but prefer [name_m]Leo[/name_m])
[name_u]Rudy[/name_u]

Any ideas?

[name_u]Nico[/name_u] and [name_m]Milo[/name_m] came to mind. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite from your list is [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]! [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] is also very sweet

1 Like

I think [name_m]Leo[/name_m] is familiar, but not too common. At least where I live.
From your list, I looove [name_u]Rudy[/name_u]. I think it’s so sweet and handsome.
I also love [name_u]Theo[/name_u], and the suggestions of [name_u]Nico[/name_u] and [name_m]Milo[/name_m]!!

1 Like

[name_m]Leo[/name_m] is the ultimate boy name to me. It’s simple, strong, international, and full of energy and character. I really love it.

Its popularity was what put us off from using it eventually, it was Top 10 here when our children were born but we discussed it each time because it’s just such a great name anyway. It still feels fresh, lively and distinctive to me.

I too prefer [name_m]Leo[/name_m] to [name_m]Leon[/name_m], but I also like [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and especially [name_u]Luca[/name_u] from your list. Those are also pretty popular where I am though, so [name_m]Leo[/name_m] still wins out for me.

[name_u]Nico[/name_u] and [name_m]Milo[/name_m] are fantastic suggestions, and I’ll add Remy, [name_u]Asa[/name_u] and [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] for a few more unusual ideas. All sound good with [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] in the middle, which honours your Greek heritage.

But really, I don’t think you can go wrong with the amazing [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] :heart:

Good luck!

4 Likes

I can’t say whether [name_m]Leo[/name_m] is too common, that depends on where you live and on what you think is too common. If you’re in the US this site may help to get an idea how likely it is for a [name_m]Leo[/name_m] to meet someone else called [name_m]Leo[/name_m]. For example, in a class with 30 children there is a probability of 4.768% that there is another boy called [name_m]Leo[/name_m].

I personally don’t really care for popularity and I think [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is an amazing choice for you!

1 Like

Leo is popular but I haven’t really met very many (2 while working with kids)

It’s such a great, well rounded name

1 Like

I don’t think [name_m]Leo[/name_m] is very common. I have never meet a leo IRL! [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is such a sweet and gentle name!

1 Like

That website is great! They should make a UK one

1 Like

I love [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] and [name_m]Leon[/name_m]! Your list is fantastic :blush:

1 Like

I know a few [name_m]Leos[/name_m], which is sad because it is such a great name! I think if you personally don’t know any/many then you should go for it. National statistics don’t always fully reflect popularity in your area.

1 Like

I am a mom of a [name_m]Leo[/name_m] who is 3 and we haven’t met a single [name_m]Leo[/name_m] since he was born (I also have two older children and they haven’t had any [name_m]Leo[/name_m]’s in any class). It is such a great name and I actually love it more than when we originally chose it. [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] sounds great! Good luck!

2 Likes

I think it depends on where you live (it’s very popular in some countries, but not popular at all in others) and what you personally regard as being too popular. I think [name_m]Leo[/name_m] is a great name and if it feels like the right choice then I wouldn’t worry about popularity. Nowadays, fewer babies receive popular names anyway since there is a greater variety of names in use than in the past.

I also really like [name_u]Luca[/name_u], [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] and [name_m]Leon[/name_m].

1 Like

I think [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is a great name! [name_f]My[/name_f] sons name is [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]. To go along with what others are saying, I think it is becoming more common, but depends where you live. We know one another [name_m]Leo[/name_m], it is one of those older names that is coming back in style. We are trying to find a name for our second son now but hard to compare to [name_m]Leo[/name_m], good luck to you!

2 Likes

It does seem popular but I only know 1… its a great name!

1 Like

Leo [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is a great name! Great meaning too, I wouldn’t let popularity put you off!

1 Like

I LOVE [name_m]Leo[/name_m]. If you’d like to honor your Greek heritage, what about [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m] nn [name_m]Leo[/name_m]? I’ve always adored him, and something like [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nn [name_m]Leo[/name_m] would be so fun.

A few other random ideas:

Milo/Miles
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks so much Berries, I really appreciate your advice. I’m pretty stuck on [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], so we’re thinking this is the name. Thanks again.

Great choice.
Current rhythmic gymnastics Olympic Champion, [name_f]Margarita[/name_f] Mamun, just had a baby named [name_m]Lev[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], if I recall correctly.
I absolutely love [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Lev[/name_m] and [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]