Is Lorena to close to Laurie and Lauren?

I’ve been loving the name [name_f]Lorena[/name_f] as of late. I’ve been having a hard time finding girls names that I love as much as the boys names I’ve come up with, and this one is speaking to me! The only problem is my best friend who would definitely be a huge part of my future kids life is called [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], and my mom is called [name_u]Laurie[/name_u]. Obviously I love them both and would be down to honor them with a name choice but would that get confusing? I grew up with 3 Dans and 3 [name_m]Jeff[/name_m]’s in the family and don’t know if I want to keep up the name repeating tradition.

1 Like

Hmm, hadn’t seen this name before. I take it from the Nameberry page that its pronounced like [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] with an A on the end?

Since the Lor/Laur beginnings are going to be the point of confusion, would you be opposed to [name_f]Rena[/name_f] (ray-na) as a nickname? Or another alternative? I think this would be your best bet as a plan to differentiate if needed

I think the pronunciation makes it distinct enough.

They sound really similar. I don’t think you need to worry about your mom’s name though since she will probably go by a grandmother type name. ;D

I think it’s a bit too close cause at first glance [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] can often be spelt again as [name_u]Loren[/name_u] and [name_f]Lorena[/name_f] is one letter added too that, outside of it I think it would work just a few run ins, but the sounds are dysfunctional enough

I think they’re all very close. You could call [name_f]Lorena[/name_f] by a different nickname like [name_u]Rey[/name_u] or [name_f]Lo[/name_f], though other people may call her [name_f]Lori[/name_f] for short. It really comes down to how much the similarity might bother you.

Lorena has distinct enough sounds from [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] and [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] but i would assume it was an honour name

I love [name_f]Lorena[/name_f]!! And I think that, although it’s somehow similar it is different enough to make it totally usable! I would definitely go for it!

Lorena is so gorgeous and uncommon. I think it sounds different enough from [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] and [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] to not be confused with them.