Is Luna really that popular?

It’s seems it’s been popular about 4-5 years now, so I’m wondering if it’ll peak soon or end up in the top 5 or 10. I’m interested to see the SSA for 2020!

1 Like

I don’t know many Lunas in real life. The only Lunas I do know are all dogs or cats :rofl: Maybe that plays into it?

2 Likes

At least where I live, yes. :confused: [name_f]Estrella[/name_f]? Same origins, similar meaning.

1 Like

Estrella is very pretty but my husband is completely set on [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. We discussed other names that mean “moon” but he absolutely loves [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and tbh it really is the perfect name for us. Nothing else feels quite right!

1 Like

Well, I don’t think popularity is a big problem. :slight_smile:

:joy: It probably does! I’m sure everyone has met at least one cat or dog named [name_f]Luna[/name_f] (like I said I know three people personally who have cats with this name lol). I wonder how many pets in the world are actually named [name_f]Luna[/name_f]? That’d be a fun statistic!

1 Like

Nothing else feels quite right is very important. After spending months of my pregnancy stressing about finding a name that fits all the criteria that match our sibset, we are almost definitely going with a name that meets hardly any of them (it’s short and popular whereas our other 3 kids names are long and rare where we live) because of this very reason!

1 Like

This makes me feel better about it, even if [name_f]Luna[/name_f] does end up becoming crazy popular! Matching style is definitely important and something I’ll always strive to do, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to how it makes you feel. And [name_f]Luna[/name_f] just makes us both feel so happy and warm, as if our little [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is already here!

1 Like

Willow and [name_m]Draven[/name_m] were my top names when I was 21… Neither are names I would use now even though I still think they sound nice. 18 years on [name_u]Willow[/name_u] seems to be crazy popular. [name_f]My[/name_f] much younger cousin has used it for her daughter. [name_m]Draven[/name_m] though, never seems to have caught on :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve never met a [name_f]Luna[/name_f] but know of many dogs named [name_f]Luna[/name_f]!

1 Like

Luna is popular for kids but even more popular for dogs, I’d argue. You may want to factor that in!

1 Like

No this is true I just know a lot more little Auroras then [name_f]Luna[/name_f]’s. People in my area who have had kids young love [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] completely get why it’s gorgeous name!

1 Like

I’ve definitely heard of quite a few young Lunas, and I also know a seventeen-year-old with the name. I’d say it isn’t super popular everywhere, but it’s pretty common in the US and [name_f]England[/name_f].

1 Like

A lot of A names!

Aiden
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_u]Addison[/name_u]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_u]Alex[/name_u]
[name_f]Arianna[/name_f]
[name_u]Carmen[/name_u]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_f]Lilianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]

1 Like

Yes we’ve considered that it’s also a popular pet name! But again so are names like [name_f]Bella[/name_f], [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_f]Zoey[/name_f], [name_m]Bruno[/name_m], etc. and I think those are all still lovely for a baby.

I have never met a [name_f]Luna[/name_f], nor have I ever heard anybody talk about a [name_f]Luna[/name_f], unless it was [name_f]Luna[/name_f] from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] :joy: I know that [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Legend[/name_u]’s daughter is [name_f]Luna[/name_f], but that’s the only one I’ve even heard of. I’m not sure where all these stats come from :joy:

1 Like

Right?! Sometimes I see names that are “popular” but I swear I’ve never even heard them before! I think it has more to do with people’s interest sometimes than real people.

I personally don’t know any Lunas, but my daughter is not in school yet, so my knowledge of current names for children is based solely on name popularity lists. [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is a pretty popular/well liked character in the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] series and there are a LOT of [name_m]Potter[/name_m] fans hitting the typical age of parenthood, so I would not be surprised to see a rise in popularity, partially because of that.

2 Likes

I’ve met two little girls named [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. They are both under 3 years old so the popularity seems fairly new

1 Like

I know two human [name_f]Luna[/name_f]’s and a few feline ones :wink: beautiful name though!

1 Like