Is Lyla too similar to my name?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], I’m due with our 3rd girl in a few weeks and we’re still undecided. We plan to meet our baby and hope that one of the names on our short list seems to fit… For months now the only name we’ve had is [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. This past week we have added 2 other names that we both like - [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Lyla[/name_f].

BUT - my first name is [name_f]Leila[/name_f] (pronounced [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-LA)…

Is [name_f]Lyla[/name_f] too similar and annoying or is it ok to have a daughter named [name_f]Lyla[/name_f]?

Thank you for your input!!!

I dont think their too similar for mother and daughter. Siblings maybe, yes. But its not very often you and your daughters name will be written/read together. You can always see it as a way of kind of honouring yourself, whilst using a name you love :slight_smile:

I’d say they’re too similar, sorry. If it was just the L- beginning or the -la ending, I’d say it’s fine, but it’s both. l-EE-la and l-IE-la, see how similar?

[name_f]IMO[/name_f] yes, they are to similar. It might get annoying after awhile you might have family members saying LLLLeeeLLLLiiiiLLLLAAAA :slight_smile: Sorry…

I think you would probably be able to get away with it if you really love the name and it’s the best match for your daughter, but I do think they’re a bit too close.

I don’t think they’re too close for a mother and daughter. There are very few instances when your names will be said together and when spoken the [name_u]LEE[/name_u]- and LIE- sounds will be what carries. Those sounds, though similar, are still distinct enough to be differentiated.

I wouldn’t do it personally. Sorry, but I think they’re too close, even for mother and daughter. [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] are both beautiful options though!

I think they are too similar

I agree completely. Plus, if sons can be named exactly as their fathers, why can’t a daughter have a similar name to Mom? I think it’s a sweet connection!

I think they’re too similar, sorry. As @eoxima said, if it were just the same beginning or same ending it would be okay, but not both. What about [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Kyla[/name_f] or [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]? For me the beginning and ending of a name are often the most distinct/stick out the most to me, hence why if one of them is different they’re distinguishable enough. (for e.g. I know someone whose wife is [name_f]Ann[/name_f] and their daughter is [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], and I don’t find that too close)

If you love it, go for it. [name_f]Lyla[/name_f] is a beautiful name.

The only reason it wouldn’t work is if you found it too similar yourself. If it doesn’t bother you, go for it :slight_smile:

ps Some parents pass their exact name to their child. So I don’t see a problem with it.