Is Lysander too fanciful for real life?

Both Lysander and Leander have been on my list for as long as I can remember.

Which name do you prefer and why?

I think I really like [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] best as it sounds a little more distinctive and I love how you can get to [name_u]Sacha[/name_u] as a nickname :heart_eyes: But is it too much?Iā€™m not sure how wearable it will be IRL?

Thank you kindly!

3 Likes

I donā€™t really have a preference between the names, but I love [name_u]Sacha[/name_u]! I donā€™t think [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] is ā€œanymoreā€ than [name_m]Leander[/name_m]. They both seem wearable to me.

1 Like

Thank you! Super pleased to know that you donā€™t find [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] too much more than [name_m]Leander[/name_m] :grinning:

[name_m]Just[/name_m] trying to choose one out of these two names to discuss with hubby. He gets a little overwhelmed when I present him with too many names all at once. Lol. If only we were both name nerds :joy:

1 Like

I agree with @futuremama! If you love them both, I would start with [name_m]Leander[/name_m] with DH. It is a slightly safer choice, and since it doesnā€™t have a nn with it, it will probably be less overwhelming for him.

1 Like

So true! I also think [name_m]Leander[/name_m] may be the slightly ā€˜saferā€™ option out of the two. Hehe - I always get so excited after daydreaming about names and then bombard DH as soon as he gets home from work. Never goes down very well!

1 Like

I get that! Iā€™m single, but when I try to talk to my family about names, theyā€™re the exact same way! They get worn down so quickly! Maybe you could try suggesting names on the weekends more? Heā€™s probably exhausted after work, which may be adding to his lack of name enthusiasm!

I think both are lovely, and totally useable!

2 Likes

Hehe - well you know the feeling then! Itā€™s excitement quickly followed by deflation :roll_eyes:

Weekend name discussions are definitely the way to go! Iā€™m just never patient enough, unfortunately :rofl:

Thank you again for your very helpful responses :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

Thank you! Oooh - now Iā€™m feeling like I should bring up both names and just go for it :crossed_fingers:t4::crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

I love them both! Itā€™s funny, I was stuck between these same two names for a character in a story I wrote once. I went with [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], in case you were wondering.

In any case, congratulations! I donā€™t think you can go wrong with either choice.

Hugs!

2 Likes

Thank you sincerely for your very kind response :hugs:

I think we both obviously have wonderful taste. Haha! I lean more towards [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] too and Iā€™m so excited that you chose it for your character. [name_f]May[/name_f] I please ask what kind of personality traits he possesses? [name_m]Just[/name_m] curious to know the kind of imagery you associate with this beautiful name!

Definitely do it!! :tada::tada::raised_hands::raised_hands:

1 Like

Gladly.

Okay, so my [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] is eighteen-years-old, and the son of a recently deceased Emperor (their relationship was strained, to say the least) of a fictional land. This of course means he is next in line for the throne. The people of [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]'s homeland donā€™t care for him much, because his mother (now exiled) was considered an outsider. There was some contention as to whether he deserved to lead them at all. He starts off as kind of a villain (he kidnaped a baby), but there is much inner turmoil.

Lysanderā€™s people are a type of warrior race, but he dislikes violence. So to keep up appearences, he pretends to be rougher and tougher than he really is. Heā€™s a serious young man. Heā€™s very proper and formal. Heā€™s calm. Heā€™s objective, but is constantly self-doubting.

In the end, of course, with the help of a cheeky young woman (who was supposed to be his prisoner) he casts off his insecurities, and does the right thing. After much wrestling with right and wrong, he realizes heā€™d rather not be a villain, and leads his empire in a new direction.

I was sure that my readers wouldnā€™t like him much. I didnā€™t think theyā€™d approve of his relationship with the prisoner (her name is [name_u]Cricket[/name_u]), but he was overwhelmingly popular.

Iā€™m sorry if that is a little lengthy, but I hope you enjoyed learning about my [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]. And if this helped you at all, my life as an amature writer is now complete.

Thank you for sharing this :heart: [name_m]Reading[/name_m] about your [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] has only made me like the name even more (okay - maybe except for the kidnapping component!) I was absolutely engrossed in the snippets of the storyline you detailed. It sounds like it would make for excellent reading. Youā€™re a very talented writer!

:grin::+1:t3:

1 Like

Because [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] and [name_m]Leander[/name_m] are uncommon theyā€™re brave choices but I think both of them are wearable in real life.

1 Like

I love seeing your posts and what names are on your mind. Seeing as [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] and [name_m]Leander[/name_m] have both been on your list for a very long time, I think this gives them added weight. They are steady sweethearts, not passing crushes. You can have confidence in them.

I prefer [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] for the same reason as you. Its letters and sounds are more pronounced and memorable. I think it has more magic. Both names are entirely wearable. Theyā€™re not difficult to spell or pronounce and feel relatively familiar given the shared ending with [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].

2 Likes

Lysanderā€™s one of my all time favourite names, and 100% usable in my opinion. Iā€™ve always seen [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] as intelligent, calm, sensible, and thoughtful, and I can easily imagine him working irl. I also think itā€™s similar enough to [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] to be familiar sounding to most.

1 Like

Thank you @kachenka,

Your response was so lovely to read and extremely heartwarming :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Iā€™m always very hesitant to come on here and post my thoughts as I worry about how my very eclectic taste in names will be viewed. So far Iā€™ve brought up the most diverse group of names and admittedly, itā€™s a little confronting to showcase these and admit to liking them all ([name_m]Gilbert[/name_m], [name_m]Roger[/name_m], [name_m]Alastair[/name_m]/Alistair/Alasdair, [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] and now [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] and [name_m]Leander[/name_m] :flushed:) I do worry that Iā€™m perceived as a bit of an indecisive basket case on here :joy:

Thank you for also pointing out that [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] and [name_m]Leander[/name_m] are both longtime loves of mine. Itā€™s so true that these names therefore play more of a significant role in this name choice. Iā€™m thrilled to read that you also like [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] that bit more than [name_m]Leander[/name_m], for the same reasons as me :wink:

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart :sparkling_heart:

Yes - I too think that either would be a bold choice! Iā€™m just hoping that itā€™s not a choice that would be viewed as too over the top. I think girls can get away with OTT names more than boys can, sadly. Itā€™s just the way our world is :woman_shrugging:t2: