Is Mary or Marie too close to Mark?

My kids are P@ul, Cl@re, M@rk, K@th@rine nn K@tie/K@te. We’re trying to achieve another pregnancy and for a girl I would really like either [name]Mary[/name] or [name]Marie[/name]. But when I write them out I’m struck by how close [name]Mark[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] are to each other. They would be roughly 6 years apart in age.

They are too close for my taste. Perhaps it would be okay if you called [name]Mary[/name] by her first and middle name.

We tend to shorten rather than lengthen names. I could see us calling her [name]May[/name] rather than [name]Mary[/name] + a middle. Still too close?

Oh, I should add that this will most likely not be our last pregnancy and I won’t do any more M names - I promise :wink:

[name]Mary[/name] does go well stylistically with your other kid’s names, but to me it seems like a mix of [name]Clare[/name] and [name]Mark[/name].

Maybe it is the removal of the “r”, but [name]May[/name]/[name]Mae[/name] doesn’t sound too similar in the way that [name]Mary[/name] did.

I do like [name]May[/name] a lot. Hubby likes [name]Mae[/name] and since it would be a nickname we can decide on the spelling later. I’m sure hubby would end up calling her [name]Mae[/name] [name]Mae[/name] which I really don’t like. It almost ruins it for me. [name]Molly[/name] would also be a possibility but dh sometimes calls our oldest son [name]Pauly[/name] though I’m not sure how much longer that will go on (he’s nearly 9).