Is Mary too popular?

I really like [name]Mary[/name] but do you think its too popular?

Thanks!

No, I think [name]Mary[/name] is classic. It’s doubtful that she’ll be one of two in her class and even then, it’s not an ‘in right now’ name that runs the risk of becoming dated in a few years – or worse, dropping off the name map completely (what I call “The [name]Fate[/name] of [name]Edna[/name]”).

The advantage of a classic name like [name]Mary[/name] is that it is ageless. When you hear ‘[name]Mary[/name] [name]Smith[/name]’ how old do you think she is? Now consider ‘[name]Doris[/name] [name]Newman[/name]’, ‘[name]Janet[/name] [name]Brown[/name]’, ‘[name]Michelle[/name] [name]Jones[/name]’ or ‘[name]Brittany[/name] [name]Cole[/name]’ and I’m sure most people could guess their age easily.

I think elea said it very well - [name]Mary[/name] is a classic name that fits a child of any age. Unless you’re planning to send your daughter to Catholic school, I don’t think you have to worry about it being over-popular.

Thanks tons!

I love the name [name]Mary[/name]!

Another [name]Mary[/name] fan here! :slight_smile: (I think it’s refreshing to see it on a little girl…)

[name]Mary[/name] is so sweet and pretty, but also has a grounded earthy quality

I love the name [name]Mary[/name]. It’s so sweet!

[name]Mary[/name] is a lovely name, also nice as a middle name

My name is [name]Mary[/name]. I think it fits me perfectly, its feminine without being cutesy. It means blessed, which I think is a wonderful meaning for a name. Growing up, I didn’t know any other [name]Mary[/name]'s, and now in my 20’s I only know 2 other [name]Marys[/name]. I don’t think its a name that is over used, it’s a classic.

I’m fond of [name]Mary[/name], too. It’s really not that common at all nowadays.

I was a sales rep with a young woman named [name]Mary[/name] [name]Jane[/name], and everyone always remembered her because of her pretty and classic name. [name]Mary[/name] is a classic, and not at all over used with the young right now.

It is beautiful, and actually very uncommon - I was a teenager before I met someone named [name]Mary[/name], and I remember being positively surprised! I thought it was brilliant, though.

No, my little sister, even at a Catholic school, was the only one with that name.

Here’s what goes to show for statistics and popularity - the name [name]Mary[/name] was #1 forever until the 1960s, declined very slowly in popularity and it is now the 97th most popular name, the lowest rank it has ever held. If 97 is “not very popular,” such that it is not very popular anymore, that doesn’t mean there aren’t thousand upon thousands of [name]Marys[/name] born every year, some of whom you’ll meet in the workplace who are older, and other places you visit and shop and who might be related to you or your spouse.

I kind of wonder when people look for a name that is not in the top 200 or not even in the top 1000, what kind of rarity they are striving for - if most young people have never met someone named [name]Mary[/name] their age or younger, at the 97th most popular, then below that must be quite unusual enough for most people - more of a factor is how popular a name will become and how quickly it will resonate with other parents. Another true fact - [name]Mary[/name] has been used for boys, in 1897, it peaked at #211 on the SSA database and has never been lower than 1000. It is currently the 931st most common name given to boys.

I really like the name [name]Mary[/name], but I’m older, know others with the name, and still feel it is that “plain” kind of name - and I generally like simple names. You might pair it with another name or jazz it up with a variant. [name]Marilyn[/name] hasn’t really seen the light of day for a while. I like a lot of variants of [name]Mary[/name]. [name]Marie[/name] for a middle name has been overused, but it would be nice to see it in the first position. Lots of ideas.

Ditto everyone else’s opinion that [name]Mary[/name] is a classic. Ditto also that it is not too popular any more. Of course, everyone KNOWS the name [name]Mary[/name], but on a little girl nowadays, I think it actually sounds fresh. [name]Love[/name] it. It’s also simple enough that you can add a more jazzy/exotic middle name.

One alternative that I like, if you like the name [name]Mary[/name] but are looking for something a bit less well-known, is [name]MAIRE[/name] (pronounced “mare”).