Is Maya trendy/outdated?

I’m thinking about adding [name_f]Maya[/name_f] to my list but I was curious if any of anyone thought it was outdated or trendy. I used to have an aversion to the name in middle school (I’m 22 years old now if you need a time frame.) because I knew several little girls in my town named [name_f]Maya[/name_f] (mostly spelled [name_f]Mya[/name_f]). But now that I’m living in a totally different state I haven’t heard it in awhile and I’m really starting to warm up to it again, especially as an alternative to [name_f]Ava[/name_f]. I tend to like names that can stand the test of time. Growing up as a [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] I feel like my name dates me (although my mom has a beautiful reason for choosing it). Thoughts?

I don’t know any [name_f]Maya[/name_f]'s, and I don’t think it’s too dated, but it likely will be in about 10 years. It’s definitely trendy though, but, it’s a beautiful name.

I love the name [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. It’s a beautiful name that isn’t overdone at all. There is also the variation [name_f]Amaya[/name_f], that I think gives it a little more oomph.

If you’re thinking of “dated” in the way that maybe certain names feel very attached to a certain time period, then no. A name would require a fair amount of popularity before that happened and I don’t think that’s going to happen to [name_f]Maya[/name_f] anytime soon. It may become more popular though.

Thanks for the replies! I’m really crushing on [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. At this point I actually know more Amayas than [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. I love the simple sound of [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. It’s so sweet.

On another note, do you prefer [name_f]Maya[/name_f] or [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]?

I am also 22 years old and I only know 2 [name_f]Maya[/name_f]/[name_f]Mya[/name_f]'s. One [name_f]Maya[/name_f] is my age and the other [name_f]Mya[/name_f] is 2 years old. lol. I think it’s a beautiful name. :slight_smile:

It isn’t timeless, but there have been some cool Mayas from a variety of different generations. [name_m]Both[/name_m] [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Angelou[/name_f] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_m]Rudolph[/name_m] are strong role models. I think it’s lovely, feminine, strong, and worldly.

I think it’s more popular in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] where I’m from than in the US.

I have a four-year-old [name_f]Maya[/name_f] so I’m a bit biased :), but I just wanted to say that I get so many compliments on her name. No name regret here! Her name is still lovely, simple, and sweet. I also like the spelling [name_f]Maia[/name_f], but I’m not a fan of [name_f]Mya[/name_f], [name_f]Myah[/name_f], [name_f]Miah[/name_f], [name_f]Maja[/name_f], or [name_f]Amaya[/name_f], etc. [name_m]Just[/name_m] my opinion :slight_smile:

I do love the name [name_f]Maya[/name_f], I have a cousin with the name, just spelled [name_f]Maja[/name_f]. It’s very cute, fun, fresh, and sweet. Another pretty variant is [name_f]Amaya[/name_f].

I don’t think it’s dated, I think because it’s never been overly popular (especially in Australia,) it doesn’t feel tied to any generation in particular to me. I think it pretty, however, where I live we pronounce almost everything phonetically in [name_m]Oz[/name_m], so we would say [name_f]May[/name_f]-UH not My-UH. [name_f]Mya[/name_f] on the other hand would use the pronounciation Americans use.

Overall though, I think either one is a lovely choice, and very pretty too!

It’s popular but that doesn’t make it trendy. It seems to have made a few pretty big jumps in the early 1990’s but aside from a few years, it’s been steadily rising since the 1970’s.

[name_f]Maya[/name_f]'s such a lovely name! It was ranked 67 in my state in 2012 but I still don’t hear it as much as some of the other names.

I know on [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. I don’t really like it and not because of the association. What about [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. I know one of those and she is the cutest and sweetest little thing.