Is Paulina usable for us?

I have been loving the -ina names lately and [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] could be an honor for my grandmother (Paula, named for her father Paul). But the description says [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is the Spanish variant, and we are decidedly not of Spanish or Latin heritage at all.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think this is cultural appropriation? Would a blonde blue eyed girl named [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] seem a little off? [name_u]Or[/name_u] is it okay since there are other countries that have used the -ina ending (like [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is [name_m]German[/name_m] for example)?

Also does [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] “Polly” work as a sister to [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f] “Callie”?

3 Likes

[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is definitely used and loved in other cultures! I know a few Polish girls/women named [name_f]Paulina[/name_f], and the famous model [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] Porizkova is Czech. I wouldn’t consider it inappropriate to use at all in your case. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name, easy to pronounce across cultures, and sounds great in your sibset.

1 Like

[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is such a widely used name across all of Europe and the Americas. Definitely not anywhere approaching appropriative.

A lovely choice. I have Pauls and Paulinas all up and down my family tree and would likely have gone in that direction with my own if it hadn’t been one of DH’s least favorite name families ever.

[name_f]Caledonia[/name_f] and [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] are great together!

1 Like

[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is used in many cultures, so I don’t think you have anything to worry about! I can totally picture a blonde, blue-eyed [name_f]Paulina[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] ‘Polly’ and [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f] ‘Callie’ make great sisters!

1 Like

[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is lovely, and works beautifully with [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f]! I’m not sure I love the matchiness of [name_f]Callie[/name_f] and [name_f]Polly[/name_f], but that’s 100% just my personal preference (and really, looking past the similarity, they’re a pretty adorable duo).

I love that you’re being cautious about cultural appropriation! :yellow_heart: That being said, I think [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is used in enough cultures that I really don’t associate it with any particular one. That’s just my perspective though, I may be wrong about the usage!

2 Likes

Paulina is used by people from all backgrounds. I know several blonde haired, blue eyed Paulina(s). On other sites, they show usage in other languages.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s cultural appropriation because [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is used in cultures other than Latin ones. It’s also not from the name of, say, a sacred, indigenous goddess or anything of the like. This is especially true if you’re going with the more [name_f]English[/name_f] pawl-ee-nah pronunciation rather than the Spanish pow-lee-nah. As for a blonde, blue-eyed girl, it wouldn’t be too weird. It’s not like it’s [name_f]Ebony[/name_f] (a name specifically associated with skin-colour). Not to mention, [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Leonor[/name_f] of Spain has dirty-blonde hair and blue eyes, so it’s fine.

I do believe [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] and [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f] work well together.

2 Likes

As everyone else has said, it’s widely used in many, many cultures, not just Latin ones. [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is a beautiful name!

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Paulina[/name_f]! I find it refreshing. I think of it as a name that could be used in a wide variety of locations.

I don’t love [name_f]Callie[/name_f] and [name_f]Polly[/name_f] as sisters but I’d be all for [name_f]Lina[/name_f] as Paulina’s nickname if that’s an option!

1 Like

It’s an international name with no significance in any culture. Totally fine imo.

1 Like

[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is completely usable, my mum is called [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] (although everyone calls her Paula) and there are many others about as it’s quite a common name where I live, go for it!

1 Like

I literally have met a blond haired, blue eyed [name_f]Paulina[/name_f]! (well she spelled it Polina) I think it works in multiple different cultures, and is very lovely.

1 Like

I think Paulina would be fine! I actually know a (white) girl named Paulina nn Polly. I think it works great as a sister to Caledonia nn Callie!

1 Like

[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is used in various cultures so I think it’s fine! [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Polly[/name_f] is perfect

1 Like

as an Latin person myself, I don’t think it’s cultural appropriation at all lol. I’d love to see more people with Latin names because they’re beautiful.

3 Likes

[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is a great honour name. If you’re that concerned about cultural appropriation due to blonde hair blue eyes maybe try [name_f]Polina[/name_f] instead? (it’s Greek/French/Russian and I know it’s used more in European countries)
I think [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Callie[/name_f] work as sisters but not [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] and [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f].

2 Likes

God no, it’s not even close to cultural appropriation. [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is used all over Europe, it is a name of a popular children’s book character where I live (Croatia), and I know several Paulina’s. It’s very international and everyone can use it.

3 Likes

I think if using [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] were to be classed as cultural appropriation, then we’d need to include [name_u]Maria[/name_u], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] and [name_f]Nina[/name_f] on the same list. As a Mediterranean person I think it’s fine.

2 Likes