Is Primrose pretentious?

So my favourite girls name for years is [name_f]Rose[/name_f] I’ve loved it for as long as I can remember but it’s been used so much in my circle of recent. Last year my partner niece was born and named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], my best friend had her baby [name_u]Peyton[/name_u]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f] and my other best friend sister had a baby [name_f]Rose[/name_f] last year as well. Therefore it feels like a [name_f]Rose[/name_f] overkill but I love [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and it honours my partners mum who has passed away which made me think of [name_f]Primrose[/name_f].

I am honestly in love with [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] and think Prim, [name_f]Posey[/name_f] & [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] are all great nicknames. I would have the combination [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] the middle names also being honour names. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner thought [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] was lovely but has concerns its pretentious and wouldn’t suit someone who is mixed race. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner is black British (Ugandan heritage) and I’m white British (mixed heritage) she would be brought up in inner city [name_u]London[/name_u] do you think [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] would work or is it too pretentious?

Additional info the boy name would be [name_m]Malachi[/name_m]

Thank you :tada::tada:

2 Likes

[name_f]Do[/name_f] it!!! I love [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]! I don’t think it’s pretentious at all! I know sisters named [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_f]Glory[/name_f] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Serene[/name_f]! She goes by [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], I don’t think it’s pretentious at all. [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] is also adorable!

2 Likes

I don’t think [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is pretentious and I think it would work very well!

1 Like

[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is gorgeous. I think that it would be lovely, with or without nicknames! [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t worry about it being pretentious- I think it’s a kind name, and so so beautiful. It seems like a perfect way to honor your partner’s mother.

1 Like

Use it! A name is only given an association if its given to someone (example, having a friend named [name_m]Jim[/name_m], so you only associate the name [name_m]Jim[/name_m] with that friend). Names dont have a race, so give it to your girl and make people associate the name [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] with her!

I think it’s lovely and sweet!

I love [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], especially with the nn [name_f]Posey[/name_f]! I’m in the US so I’m not sure how the name would be viewed in the UK but I wouldn’t think it was pretentious. I think it could suit a little girl of any race. :slight_smile:

No, I wouldn’t say [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is pretentious.

I love it! Not pretentious… unique!

I think it’s a gorgeous name and suits a child of any ethnicity/race! And I don’t see it as pretentious - if anything, it fits in with the quirky/vintage/floral-inspired names in style now. Prim, [name_f]Posey[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] are all gorgeous nicknames too.

2 Likes

It’s not at all pretentious. [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is stunning. I don’t even find the nickname Prim to be pretentious.

I see no reason why it can’t work on someone of a mixed race, unless maybe you’re concerned about pronunciation issues based on the language being spoken.

Use it if you love it, it’s a gorgeous name :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for the responses!

I really love it, especially with Prim for short :heart_eyes: I love that it’s both super-sweet but also feels kind of edgy and unexpected. Not pretentious at all.

[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is utterly gorgeous. No reason at all why it couldn’t work for any particular ethnicity. It’s just a beautiful, underused nature name – nothing to tie it to any specific race, religion or background.

If you both love it and it has meaning to you, go for it!

2 Likes

Yes.

[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is lovely and it reminds me of the flower. I don’t think it’s pretentious, but I am someone who really likes unusual and different names so perhaps I’m not the best one to judge.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t suit a mixed race girl, but I’m not mixed race it’s not something I have personal experience of.

I don’t find [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] pretentious at all! It’s soft, lovely, modest. And all the nickname options are adorable. No need for concern imo! I think the name is perfectly versatile. :slight_smile:

If you really like it, then go for it, but I definitely see why your partner thinks it’s pretentious.
I think the word ‘prim’ has something to do with it. If you’re living in [name_u]London[/name_u], it’ll likely be associated with [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_m]Hill[/name_m]. I also understand your partner’s cultural perspective - speaking as someone who is mixed race, [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is one of the ‘whitest’ names I’ve ever heard.

If you really like the ‘[name_f]Rose[/name_f]’ part, you could look at other variations, like [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] or [name_f]Melrose[/name_f].

I really love [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] for a boy, and I think it definitely works for a mixed-race child. It isn’t ‘too white’ or ‘too black’ - it’s a perfect middle ground.

Really appreciate your feedback spookydoll hearing this feedback from someone who is mixed race is very insightful. I try to educate myself as much as I can but will of course never fully understand what it is like to be mixed race or black despite all the education. Not keen on [name_f]Melrose[/name_f] but I really like [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]. The reason why I ruled that out was some of my family have a strong Scottish/Irish accent and for me the pronunciation is off similarly with my partner’s father Ugandan accent is just sounds off. It’s really important we honour my partner’s mother she was known as [name_f]Rose[/name_f] but it’s been so overused in our circle which made me love the fresh alternative [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]. I don’t think [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_m]Hill[/name_m] association would be a massive issue for us as its not an association that has come up again & again your the first person who has mentioned it. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner said that he thinks [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is slightly pretentious because it sounds ‘posh’ but he’s has said he likes the name he thinks it’s pretty and as he has chosen the boys name [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] I can choose the girls name which I was happy with. [name_m]Just[/name_m] concerned now do you think being mixed race and having a really ‘white’ name would be challenging?

1 Like

I think [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is lovely, and not pretentious at all!

1 Like