Is Quincey, well, poncey?

[name]Hi[/name]! I’ve never actually posted here in the forums (I guess I’m a newberry?), and I’m still trying to figure out how it all works, but I’ve been reliably informed that you berries are more open to the more unusual names out there, so I thought I’d test the waters, so to speak. :smiley:

To cut it short, I absolutely adore the name [name]Quincey[/name] and it would be in honour of a beloved fictional character, but I’m concerned it really is too poncey to use.

Any thoughts? What do you think of [name]Quincey[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Grey[/name]?

Please and thank you :slight_smile:

I’ve always loved [name]Quincey[/name] although I prefer it spelled [name]Quincy[/name]. I think [name]Quincey[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Grey[/name] is a very handsome name.

Is [name]Grey[/name] your last name, or would it be a third name?

If you live in the US, I think [name]Quincey[/name] + two middle names would be entirely too much. [name]Even[/name] in the pockets of yupster-dom some of us inhabit. [name]Quincy[/name] [name]William[/name] is great. ‘[name]Grey[/name]’ to me is just a trendy sound people are sticking anywhere into names without much meaning behind it (does the color have significance to you? Is it a family surname? Are you sure it’s not just a placeholder?)

I too prefer the spelling [name]Quincy[/name]-- [name]Quincy[/name] has enough of a crossover appeal (the surname crowd, the African-American naming tradition crowd, and the poncy crowd) that it really works. The nickname Q, or [name]Quinn[/name], will help. If your beloved character has an ‘e’ then certainly honor that-- though know it will likely mean lots of spelling aloud for your young [name]Quincey[/name] when he grows up.

Agreed on all points.

[name]Grey[/name] has been a favourite of mine for a long time, three years at least, so it’s certainly not a place-holder. It’s also from the name of a fictional character.

I’m pretty set on the spelling [name]Quincey[/name].

Oh, and I’m English, not American.

:slight_smile:

Not [name]Christian[/name] [name]Grey[/name], I hope.

In the UK three given names are fine. And if the spelling [name]Quincey[/name] and the word [name]Grey[/name] hold meaning for you, then it is a euphonious combination. Especially in light of the epidemic of cutesy nickname-names in [name]England[/name] right now, [name]Quincey[/name] will both stand out and fit in. The ending sound -ey will fit in with all of the Alfies, etc, but it will seem mature and dignified.

I had to think who that was for a moment! The guy from 50 Shades of [name]Grey[/name], right? It’s definitely not him, ha ha! [name]Grey[/name] was actually inspired by a villain, [name]Grey[/name] Harkness in Torchwood, though I’m not sure how many people will know of him. It’s not a fabulous association, admittedly, ha ha. :smiley: [name]Grey[/name] does bear some resemblance to a family surname, too, but it’s not really an automatic association, y’know?

Oh, the nickname thing going on here is getting so tiresome. I’ve heard more [name]Tilly[/name]'s and [name]Billy[/name]'s than I can tolerate. :stuck_out_tongue: