Is Robin too feminine for a boy?

I LOVE [name_u]Robin[/name_u] for a boy! I think of [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Hood and [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Williams[/name_m] like you said. You und always use [name_f]Ro[/name_f], [name_u]Robbie[/name_u], [name_u]Bobbie[/name_u] and it might be a stretch I think even [name_m]Benny[/name_m] could work as a nickname.

Some suggestions for middles:

Robin [name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Clive[/name_m]

I personally think it is, but thatā€™s only because the only [name_m]Robins[/name_m]/Robyns I know are female (and I know no male [name_m]Robins[/name_m] apart from those in popular culture). So itā€™s just a subjective thing really. As you can see, Iā€™m totally in the minority anyway! I do personally feel, though, that next to some of the other names in use today [name_u]Robin[/name_u] is a tad datedā€¦ I just canā€™t see [name_u]Robin[/name_u] next to all the Jaspers, the Hugos, the Finns etc. Again, thatā€™s just me. Itā€™s certainly a perfectly respectable name!

1 Like

While I do know two grown men who go by [name_u]Robin[/name_u] (both over 40, and it may be as a nickname for [name_m]Robert[/name_m]), [name_u]Robin[/name_u] to me sounds very feminine. Iā€™d probably suggest using it as a nickname for a boy

I see [name_u]Robin[/name_u] as completely unisex, so I donā€™t think itā€™s too feminine to work on a boy at all, stick it with a masculine middle name and it works really well.

I only think of it as masculine tbh, because of [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Williams[/name_m] and the fact it sounds like [name_u]Robbie[/name_u].

Robin works perfectly well for both genders for me. I only know two [name_m]Robins[/name_m] who are both female, but I would not find it odd to meet a male [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. I also think of [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. As far as middle names go, pretty much any traditional, classic boy name will work because most of them havenā€™t been usurped by girls yet.

Count any repeats as seconds!
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] (this one is one I cannot see on a girl, so it sounds masculine to me)
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Gregory[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Amos[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Jacob[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]

Robin is not too feminine!