Is Sadie the next Emma, Madison, Sophie, Olivia, etc?

it is, isn’t it?

Quite possibly. Why do you ask?

Because I love it and want to use it but will die if it becomes super popular.

You know, I’m not sure about that, either! It was #107 in 2007, and #109 in the most recent 2008 rankings. I don’t think that’s a big enough drop to be able to say with certainty that [name]Sadie[/name] will be “safe” from trendiness, but at least it didn’t get MORE popular.

I think a lot of people who like [name]Madison[/name], etc., may find it too “old ladyish” for their taste, but that’s actually a good thing in terms of popularity.

I think [name]Sadie[/name] is so sweet! You could always use it as a nickame for [name]Sarah[/name] (with is popular, but a classic), giving your daughter something to fall back on in the event of a [name]Sadie[/name] epidemic. :slight_smile:

Good luck, [name]Jan[/name]!

It’s hard to predict. I can tell you at least when I went to school in the 70s and 80s, there were no such thing as an [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Emily[/name] - I can’t think of a single name that sound like that from my youth of any of my peers. Possibly [name]Donna[/name] was the closest thing, [name]Anna[/name] was outrageously nerdy, and some would-be Jennifers were named [name]Jenna[/name] “to be different” after a few years. Now we’re getting close. [name]Emily[/name] stepped in with [name]Ashley[/name]. I’ve mentioned before also [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Katie[/name] weren’t the nn of choice for [name]Katherine[/name] but [name]Kathy[/name] or more often [name]Cathy[/name], [name]Catherine[/name] with a C. We had a small handful of Kathleens also, nothing like the number of Katelyns to add to the Katherines.

I feel [name]Sadie[/name] is more like [name]Katie[/name], but for some reasons, not chosen quite as often. It’s nickname for [name]Sarah[/name], which has always seen use, while [name]Sadie[/name] has not, nor [name]Sally[/name] for that matter. My idea here is that the old-fashioned Maggies and Katies sounded familiar to [name]Megan[/name] and [name]Cathy[/name] of my high school years, while [name]Emma[/name] was, like I describe, kind of new to the ear - and however this works, it seemed the same for [name]Jennifer[/name], to evolve from almost nothing, to appeal to all walks of life. Not another altered form of anything.

I would put [name]Sadie[/name] in the category of old-fashioned familiar nickname names, with [name]Emma[/name] at the extreme top, and all Sadies and Katies (the casual) and then Sophies and Avas (a little more “refined” if you will) sort of accommodate different tastes with similar structure and sound.

I don’t think [name]Sadie[/name] will boom to the top. Right now it’s not even in the top 100, although this doesn’t account for people finding any number of proper names to use [name]Sadie[/name] for a nickname. It is part of a family of names, and that family of names will eventually trickle off as a new trend of names really fixes in. It is not really a name “like” [name]Sophie[/name] or [name]Madison[/name] or [name]Olivia[/name] in that way, but over time, certain trends remain while some of the names are exchanged for newer less common names. [name]Emma[/name] took the top spot from [name]Emily[/name] after 12 years - [name]Emily[/name] has been in the top 20 for 21 years, and [name]Emma[/name] has been in the top 20 for only 7 years. That’s a pretty long ride and it’s going to end sometime. My immediate guess is that [name]Sadie[/name] is a related name in imagery, history, and tone, but just not the most popular one.

What names become popular, and when they do has more to do with the culture in general. People got tired of the modern names and fast, modern things… we like and enjoy them, but at the same time, something’s got to give. Family and home and simple things, ecological concerns, really make those simple names more popular than if someone at my school was named [name]Sadie[/name] or [name]Emma[/name]. That’s just the one trend. However, it is cyclical. [name]Sadie[/name] will become maybe a little more popular but it’s going to evolve again to names that aren’t so… whatever quality that is.

Keep in mind the trend is also to be “different” or steer away from the more popular names, so [name]Sadie[/name] is probably not at the top of many people’s lists for one reason or another, having so many names to choose from and all wanting to be different. This makes even common names less popular overall than they would have been 30 years ago. I think [name]Sadie[/name] could strike a chord for a segment of people reaching for something other than [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Kate[/name], so it could become more popular, but not extremely so.

wow. best.answer.ever. thank you!!

No. It is too eccentric (sp?), quirky even (not in a bad way), to ever gain the level of popularity that [name]Emma[/name], [name]Madison[/name], etc. have. Though it is slightly trendy right now, its quirkiness will keep it from appealing to the masses.

. . . UNLESS a celebrity uses this name for their own baby. Then you are in trouble.

[name]Adam[/name] Sandler named his daughter [name]Sadie[/name]. I’m hoping he’s not quite enough of a celebrity to count :smiley:

Yes his two daughters [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Sunny[/name]…

I keep forgetting he exists, so I doubt he has a lot of influence as to a name’s popularity. :slight_smile:

Let me qualify that then,

Unless an A-list, female celebrity uses the name for her baby :slight_smile:

I doubt [name]Sadie[/name] will become super-popular because it has been a fairly popular pet name, at least in the states. People care less about this factor than they used to but it could potentially have a role in influencing the name’s popularity. For the record, I like [name]Sadie[/name] and don’t mean this to discredit it as a name choice.

I think my sister’s cat is named [name]Sadie[/name], but I don’t think animal names seem to affect popularity too much. [name]Max[/name] is, last I heard, the most popular name for a dog, and nobody seems to flinch when you see that a boy also has the name [name]Max[/name].

ASPCA vet survey referenced here:

This is a fun site, [name]Sadie[/name] is #6 for female dogs, not in the top 20 for cats at all:
http://www.bowwow.com.au/search/index.asp

Apparently, [name]Sadie[/name] is #7 for female dogs, according to this:

I think there are some dog names that are technically people names that don’t altogether fit a person anymore - my dog was [name]Daisy[/name], and I can hardly believe it is chosen for people now, but it’s still a pretty name. I think [name]Sadie[/name] is actually [name]Daisy[/name], flipped around, but I think it is a person’s name. Some dogs and cats have elaborate prince and princess names that are also fit for a person.

It is common to give one’s pet a friendly name, and maybe a favorite name you were going to give to a child, maybe one you felt was a really good name but didn’t go with what you wanted for a child - like [name]Isabella[/name] for a girl, and [name]Sadie[/name] can be my dog.

It’s not really deep, as though certain names are just for animals, or once popular on animals, no longer fit for people. [name]Pepper[/name] is a good example of a great name for a dog and a little unaspirational for a daughter. [name]Sadie[/name] is a good example of a name some may think is a little weird or granny for a person (I think it’s adorable), but they will dare give their pet any super name they can think of, or they have more names than they have children and still want to use the name. They love the name so they use it. That’s all it means. A lot of dogs are named [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Molly[/name], and [name]Chloe[/name]. Does that mean those names are off-limits for people?

[name]Sadie[/name] is really cute, but my fave nn for [name]Sarah[/name] is [name]Sally[/name]. I think [name]Sally[/name] will come back soon. [name]Sally[/name] was the little girl in Patriot Games.

Well, I never knew a person named [name]Sadie[/name] until three years ago. Now I know 3. Thats just me though, maybe I moved to an area where its a more popular name. I’m glad its becoming a little more popular for children, because little Sadies will be teased less. The one [name]Sadie[/name] I know who is an adult got teased because many of her friends had dogs named [name]Sadie[/name]. The two Sadies that I know that are little kids are less likely to have that because its seen as a name for a person now…I think.

I know an adult [name]Sadie[/name], I don’t know her well enough and no longer have contact with her to ask if she got teased - she is part American [name]Indian[/name] and comes from Oklahoma. I don’t know any baby Sadies yet.

I also some years ago really liked the name [name]Cassidy[/name] for the Grateful Dead song. I pitched it to my boyfriend at the time and he said “that’s what hippies name their dog.” My niece’s middle name is [name]Cassidy[/name] after the song, but my grandmother and my parents can’t get over the cowboy association, Hop-along [name]Cassidy[/name]. Neither really associates with the Giffords’ daughter. It’s still a nice name, I think, but now it is for me “what hippies name their dog.” Oh well, it’s already used in my family anyway, so that’s ok.

I don’t think [name]Sadie[/name] is a dog’s name though. I think like [name]Max[/name] and [name]Sam[/name] and [name]Jake[/name], and [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Katie[/name] and [name]Chloe[/name], it’s not unusable just because it’s also a popular choice for pets. [name]Polly[/name] seems to be coming around also. [name]How[/name] many people have parrots anyway? I doubt they are all going with the cliche. Someone asked about [name]Elsie[/name], which is the name of a cow mascot for a brand of cheese. These were names for people before and are still. Animals are our friends; animals are friends we can name! No wonder it is popular to bestow friendly names to them. Our children also need names, I don’t think it’s really anything to worry that some pets have people names.

Edited to add:
The claim on this site: http://www.bowwow.com.au/category/index.asp
"It may be surprising, but more than half (50%) of all [name]Pet[/name] Names are either human names or nicknames. People largely name their animals as they would name themselves.

“Another fifth (20%) of names are based on the Pets appearance or personality. A black cat becomes Blacky or [name]Midnight[/name], and active dog [name]Comet[/name] or [name]Dash[/name].”

I feel compelled to point out that [name]OPRAH[/name]'S new dog is named [name]Sadie[/name]. Is an A-list celebrity choosing a name for their pet the same as choosing it for their baby? I know this because a friend was recently considering [name]Sadie[/name] for her new puppy and asked my opinion and I told her I thought it was kind of trendy, but she didn’t believe me. Then, [name]Oprah[/name].

On its future popularity, my call is that it IS trendy, for babies as well as dogs – hovering around the Top 100 is not exactly obscure, and in stylish cities and suburbs, I bet it’s a lot more common than that. But I don’t think it’s ever going to be up there in the Top 10: too quirky.

Yeah, it is near the top 100… Of the current top ten, I would call [name]Madison[/name] and [name]Chloe[/name] “quirky” choices, at least when you started hearing about them. [name]Madison[/name] of course rose quite fast, [name]Madison[/name] at 107 in 1992 became a top 20 in 3 years. Interestingly, [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Madison[/name] were almost the same rank (630 and 628) in 1985, the year that [name]Madison[/name] appeared. [name]Chloe[/name] took 8 years to become a top 20 name from the position of 109, where [name]Sadie[/name] is now.

[name]Sadie[/name] has, I still say, the same appeal or family of names as [name]Emma[/name] and a few other names that are currently higher on the list, like [name]Katherine[/name] for [name]Katie[/name] - which is 45 and the most popular [name]Kaitlyn[/name] spelling is at 53. [name]Sarah[/name] is exactly at 20, for which some may be called [name]Sadie[/name] or it could be the popular nickname. [name]Sadie[/name] is a quirky name by being a nickname, I think, and most people want a formal name and slip the nickname in there. But it’s not too quirky for a nickname of a formal name. If you look at a lot of the top 100 names and think how many of them are due to fall off the charts hard, anything from 100 to 3 or 400 could take a couple or a dozen years to get to the top ten and stay there a while. Most won’t.

I often check my own name, and see when is the last time you met a baby named [name]Karen[/name], it is still in the top 200 - but it took 3 years from a position below 100 to become a top 20 name and lingered for 3 decades. Picking from among the names that aren’t on the way down, which ones will become the radically appealing ones, and which are always going to be a little less usual.

From 1970, [name]Amanda[/name] (#108) was around the same position as [name]Sadie[/name] and became top 20 in 5 years, stayed for 24 years - I bet it accounts for a lot of those [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] sounding names just sounding a lot better and newer to most people. [name]Veronica[/name] (#110) managed to budge up to the top 70 by the 80s, bobbing slightly up and down for a while and then went back down, and as interesting a choice it seems right now, it continues to drop in popularity. [name]Kristine[/name] at #109, equal to [name]Sadie[/name] in 2008 was an alt spelling of [name]Christine[/name] at #14 - which is actually where that name peaked. At least statistically, it wasn’t as popular with the SSA as it seemed to be in my school.

Not for nothin’, I used to be pretty good at math, this is something I can finally start to wrap my head around about statistics that’s interesting to me, and the sociology of it, as well as the evolution of names as part of the language.

I do think that [name]Sarah[/name] at #20 could account for a lot higher popularity of [name]Sadie[/name] in her school than it appears on the chart right now. Cute nicknames seem to be trendy overall, but not as one’s official name. [name]Sarah[/name] might even climb a little because it finally has some excitement after many years of being [name]Sarah[/name], just [name]Sarah[/name].

Well, my mother just told me that she’d be pissed if we named the baby [name]Sadie[/name] since it’s a nn for [name]Sarah[/name], which is my stepmother’s name. [name]Even[/name] though the baby would not be named [name]Sarah[/name]. And my stepmother has never gone by [name]Sadie[/name].

[name]Lovely[/name].

This is why I should keep my trap shut and tell people the name once the baby is born.

I really don’t think so, at least not until your daughter will be in her late teens/early twenties.