Is Sapphira too close to Sophia?

Hello Berries,

DH just threw out the name [name]Sapphira[/name] which I really like as it is similar to [name]Saffron[/name] a name I love but DH hates. But I am worried that [name]Sapphira[/name] is too close to [name]Sophia[/name]. [name]Will[/name] [name]Sapphira[/name] be lost in a sea of [name]Sophia[/name]? Popularity really bothers me.

Thanx,
        [name]Meryl[/name]

I dont think the two are too similar. [name]Sapphira[/name] is beautiful btw.

They’re similar, but I think [name]Sapphira[/name] will stand out from all the [name]Sophia[/name]'s without any major problems

Someone might slip up once in a while and call her [name]Sophia[/name] by accident, but I don’t think it’s so close that everyone will think that [name]Sophia[/name] is her name. It’s a very pretty name.

I wouldn’t have a [name]Sapphira[/name] and a [name]Sophia[/name] in the same family, but I don’t think she’ll get lost amongst [name]Sophia[/name]'s. VERY pretty name!

Beautiful name!
I don’t think they are too close, but I would anticipate her needing to correct people at times. I picture her introducing herself to another child on the playground (where the child can’t see the name written). The other child might hear “[name]Sophia[/name]” because it is a name they are familiar with/used to hearing, know what I mean? So I can see her being called [name]Sophia[/name] at times by her peers, but I would think they would only have to be corrected once. She might get a few “Oh, I thought your name was [name]Sophia[/name]”, but [name]Sapphira[/name] is too gorgeous of a name to have that minor issue holding you back! :wink:
We had similar concerns about a name we like (this post inspired me to get other opinions, too!)…our concerns ultimately held us back from using it. Which honestly, I kind of regret, but I am still happy with our choice. And now I don’t have to worry about if it had ever been an issue or not (being too similar to some very popular names)

[name]Sapphira[/name] is a beautiful name! It’s only my middle name, but I tend to use it a lot, especially since I always had another [name]Nina[/name], [name]Tina[/name] or [name]Ina[/name] in class. Therefore I went by my middle name quite often. People always compliment on how beautiful and rare the name is. I don’t think it’s that rare, but it’s a name you don’t hear very often. With that said I don’t think [name]Sapphira[/name] will get lost in a sea of [name]Sophia[/name]. Oh, I do have to mention that at times ppl pronounce the name incorrectly. Not very often though. I pronounce [name]Sapphira[/name] as follows. Sa-pphe- ra and not Sa-pphi-ra. [name]Hope[/name] this helps.

Thanx for the input berries! I shared this name with my sister, who although is a bit more conservative does have great taste in names. She said that taste wise [name]Sapphira[/name] is on the same level as Naveah! For obvious reasons this worries me.

While it is a nice sounding name, I can see where your sister is coming from. To me at least, overly religious names sound strangely hollowed when used on people, like [name]Trinity[/name] and [name]Nevaeh[/name]. Sometimes the same idea happens to overly wealthy names like [name]Jade[/name] and [name]Sterling[/name], though those things are precious when used as names they sound slightly cheap. Although I think [name]Sapphira[/name] is much more tasteful choice than [name]Sapphire[/name] itself. Also, [name]Sapphira[/name] is the name of the main dragon in a fairly popular fantasy series called the Inheritance Cycle. I’m not sure if that’s a negative or not. Finally, [name]Sapphira[/name] reminds me of sapphic… so there could possibly be some teasing issues there.

She may get confused for a [name]Sophia[/name] from time to time, but I don’t think it would be a big problem. Lots of unusual names get misheard as more common names the first time around just because people aren’t used to hearing the more unusual name. [name]Sapphira[/name] is a striking name, and I don’t think it would ‘get lost’.

I would not put it in the same category as Naveah, but how people catogorize names is very subjective.