Is she Mamie, Polly, or something else entirely?

Which nickname below do you prefer for a [name_f]Maria[/name_f]?

[name_f]Mamie[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Malou[/name_f]
[name_f]Mim[/name_f]
Mimmy / Mimmi / Mimmie
[name_f]Mima[/name_f] [MEE-ma]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f] / [name_f]May[/name_f] / [name_f]Mai[/name_f]
[name_f]Mimi[/name_f]
[name_f]Ree[/name_f]
[name_f]Ria[/name_f]
[name_u]Rae[/name_u] / [name_u]Rai[/name_u] / [name_u]Ray[/name_u]

Thanks!

I like [name_f]Mimi[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

[name_m]How[/name_m] do you get [name_f]Polly[/name_f] from [name_f]Maria[/name_f] if you don’t mind me asking??

1 Like

I like [name_f]Mimi[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

[name_m]How[/name_m] do you get [name_f]Polly[/name_f] from [name_f]Maria[/name_f] if you don’t mind me asking??

1 Like

[name_f]Polly[/name_f] is a medieval variant of [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. It’s not known why they used [name_f]Polly[/name_f] but it’s thought to be because it rhymes and [name_f]Mary[/name_f]/[name_f]Maria[/name_f] was so popular.

My favourites are [name_f]Mamie[/name_f] and [name_f]Mim[/name_f].

1 Like

I adore [name_f]Mamie[/name_f]! And I call my daughter [name_f]Emily[/name_f]- [name_f]Mimi[/name_f]. So I’m a fan of [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] as a name not as a replacement for grandma. My son couldn’t say [name_f]Emily[/name_f] when he was little and so he called her [name_f]Mimi[/name_f]. That’s how a lot of nicknames have come about in my family.

1 Like

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] is adorable! Nicknames that arise unexpectedly though day to day life are always the best. :slight_smile:

I love ALL of these nicknames for [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but unfortunately, they’re not very intuitive. To me, it’d be up to the parent to establish these nicknames; I wouldn’t feel safe assuming a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] could be called [name_f]Polly[/name_f], for example, without knowing what the parents preferred.

1 Like

I realize now I stated my question awkwardly. I was simply asking which nickname was preferred for a potential [name_f]Maria[/name_f]. I can see how it sounds like I’m asking you to just randomly nickname some girl you don’t know. Oops!

[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is the only one I like, though I dont really see it as a nickname for [name_f]Maria[/name_f].

1 Like

It depends on how often this nickname would be used.
If [name_f]Maria[/name_f] is an honour name and might only be said once a week or only when calling out her full name, I think [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Malou[/name_f] would work nicely (I’d choose [name_f]Polly[/name_f], well, I wouldn’t as that’s my name but I still prefer it to the other two).
If you plan on using both, [name_f]Maria[/name_f] and the nickname on a regular basis, I like [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Mim[/name_f] and [name_f]Mimi[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Mae[/name_f] are my faves!

1 Like

I like [name_f]Mamie[/name_f] and [name_f]Malou[/name_f]. My grandmother is named [name_f]Maria[/name_f] and she goes by [name_f]Ria[/name_f].

I would also suggest [name_f]Mitzi[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Mitzi[/name_f] is cute! It’s not something that really appeals to me for use but I’m surprised I didn’t think of it myself. :smiley:

My favorite is [name_f]Malou[/name_f] <3 It’s so sweet. I also love May.

1 Like

I really love [name_f]Mamie[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Maria[/name_f] :wink: [name_f]Mim[/name_f] is also really cute!

1 Like

My sister is [name_f]Maria[/name_f] and we typically use [name_f]Mia[/name_f] as a nickname for her which is probably my favorite. From your list I like either [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] or [name_f]Mim[/name_f].

1 Like