Is Sibyl that bad?

I really, really love the name [name]Sibyl[/name]. I think its so pretty and straight-laced also. I was wondering what middle names would go nicely? I would like something kind of eccentric.

Thanks a ton!

I don’t thinl [name]Sibyl[/name] is bad. I like it’s moldy-oldy style as well as its ancient heritage. Personally I prefer [name]Sybilla[/name] or [name]Sylvie[/name].

Hopefully some of these are suitably eccentric:

[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Angelique[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Araminta[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Artemisia[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] Adrasteia
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Aveline[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] Caliope
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Cassandra[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Ceridwen[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Christabel[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Constanza[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Demeter[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Demetria[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Esperanza[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] Forence
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Frederica[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Georgette[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Ginevra[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Hadassah[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Iphigenia[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Imogene[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Iolanthe[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Kerensa[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] Morgelyn
[name]Sibyl[/name] Morenwyn
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Morwenna[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Nerissa[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Philomena[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Rhiannon[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] Rosenwyn
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Thomasina[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Valentina[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Zenobia[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Zipporah[/name]

I like:
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Zipporah[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Ceridwen[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Christabel[/name]

And many more! Thanks!

I think [name]Sibyl[/name] is a fine name. It is old-fashioned and may sound dated, but it does have a long history. Here are some middle names (My advance apologies for any repeats. I liked [name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Zipporah[/name], by the way, as well as some of the other suggestions.)

[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Annora[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Apollonia[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Bereniece[/name] (Hey, if [name]Beatrice[/name] is popular here, why not [name]Bereniece[/name]?)
[name]Sibyl[/name] Carnillion
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Catriona[/name] (ka-TREE-na)
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Desdemona[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Daria[/name] (although these run together)
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Esmeralda[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Finola[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Hermia[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Lileas[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Magdalen[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Makelesi[/name] (this is really a name!)
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Onyx[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Patience[/name] (I take it back, it sounds like “civil patience”.)
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Patrice[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Tamar[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Xanthe[/name]/[name]Xanthia[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Yesenia[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Zahara[/name]

Good luck!

I love [name]Sibyl[/name], as you well know. (: However, I do prefer this spelling, even if the [name]Sybil[/name] looks more balanced. [name]Sibyl[/name] is truly lovely and old-fashioned, not to mention stylish to me. Of course I liked the interesting [name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Vane[/name], which is one reason I also like this spelling.
I don’t think [name]Sibyl[/name]'s bad at all! :3

I like it…I had a great aunt [name]Sibyl[/name] whom I thoroughly enjoyed. It would be on my list if I could talk the hubby into it.

I think Siby is a very sweet nickname (or [name]Sybil[/name], nn Sybi).

I can’t get past the association with the movie [name]Sybil[/name], so I couldn’t see using it. It doesn’t have a bad sound, though.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Sybil[/name]! Or [name]Sibyl[/name], whichever. It’s in the running to go with my [name]Phoebe[/name]. I am in my late 20’s and have never seen the movie, so I think younger generations will not have that bias against it. I think its a really cool, distinctive name.

Ok I wanted to add. PERSONALLY, I think that with a name as unusual is [name]Sibyl[/name], a more conventional mn would work to make it seem more wearable and current. I like

[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Clare[/name]

After watching the BBC miniseries Downton [name]Abbey[/name] (where the youngest daughter is named [name]Sibyl[/name]) I started considering [name]Sibyl[/name] again, more seriously. The name [name]Sibley[/name] is significant for my husband and I but I find it a tad last-namey for a girl’s first name. So I like the idea of [name]Sibyl[/name] with [name]Sibley[/name] as a possible nn.

To me, this timeless Greek name is not overused but not unheard of either and it has a sweet sound to the ear. I think the associations with the movie are old enough to not be of any major concern… remember the horror movie titled [name]Carrie[/name]… no one I know avoids naming their girls [name]Caroline[/name]/[name]Carrie[/name]/[name]Kerry[/name] because of it and it is much more recent than the [name]Sibyl[/name] movie.

I find [name]Sibyl[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] a perfect sibset! I also like more classic middle names with [name]Sibyl[/name] but nothing too ordinary, [name]Sibyl[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is gorgeous.

I’m definitely on the loving [name]Sibyl[/name] boat and appreciating the views and ideas expressed this post.

I have a [name]Sybil[/name] as a sister. The spelling is different - and I have to admit I prefer it like this - but it’s a wonderful name!

I actually really like [name]Sybil[/name] [name]Claire[/name]!

I love [name]Sibyl[/name]! I think it has a lot going for it: nice sound, somewhat familiar, but still very different. It has got weight without being too heavy or unattractive.
My association is pretty much limited to [name]Sybill[/name] Trelawney, the Divination professor in [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. This isn’t a negative association for me…that character is just loopy and eccentric. Honestly, I don’t even think that many people would even know that Professor Trelawney’s first name is [name]Sybill[/name] other than some hardcore HP geeks. :smiley:

As for middle names:
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Eudora[/name]
[name]Magdalene[/name]
[name]Irena[/name]
[name]Odessa[/name]
[name]Frida[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Theodosia[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name]
[name]Colette[/name]
[name]Florentina[/name]

Sorry for repeats, or any that you find to be downright awful :slight_smile:

Yay, I thought I was the only one who liked [name]Sibyl[/name]. I really like [name]Sybilla[/name] also. No middle name suggestions sorry. is bad at middle names

I really like [name]Sybil[/name]. I like [name]Sybella[/name] too, but it’s just too close to [name]Isabella[/name] which is wildly popular.

[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] is a beautiful name. It’s got a old-fashioned feel, but sort of a vintage-chic type of old-fashioned.

I like [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f], though I prefer the spelling [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. Either way it’s lovely.

I love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]/[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] (I don’t know which spelling). It’s old but new at the same time, if that makes sense. :slight_smile:

I prefer [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] much more.

Sadly, I’ve only known one person with this name, and she was awful. :frowning:

She pronounced her name like the word “simple” with a B. I don’t think the name is very pleasant or appealing because of her, unfortunately. :confused: Maybe I’ll start to come around, but that woman is just ingrained in my mind and I don’t care for the pronunciation.

I really like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], although I prefer this spelling. I do think that it would be considered a clunky, old ladies name by most. Although I do think it definitely has potential to be well liked, 5-10 years down the road. But I don’t think people should avoid it because of that, necessarily, unless being fashionable is important to you.