Is Sylvie Trendy?

So I’m thinking of [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] again, either as a middle or first. [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath is my favorite poet and I think it would be super cool to give a nod to her with my daughter’s name. I also do love the name [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. But is [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] too trendy? Is [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] too old? Which do you prefer?

I’m also thinking of some combos with Hebrew names. So far I have:

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_m]Noam[/name_m]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Noa[/name_f]
[name_f]Noa[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]

I honestly can’t think of anything else, nothing seems to go well. I like uncommon or rare Hebrew/Israeli names! So nothing like [name_f]Leora[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] etc . What can you think of?

I like both [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] seems more classic to me and has the [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath connection, while [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] comes across as sleeker and [name_m]French[/name_m]-inspired.

I don’t think [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is popular enough (in the US or UK) to be consider trendy. I do think it’s trending though i.e. it might be a popular name in 5 or 10 years.

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Liat
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_u]Carmel[/name_u] (or [name_f]Karmel[/name_f]… Not sure which is the most authentic spelling!)
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Tahel
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Tamar[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Liel[/name_f]

I love the name [name_f]Noa[/name_f] but I’m not so keen on [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]/[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] as I’m afraid I do see it as a name for somebody older, not a little girl, but I understand your reasoning so I would use it more as a middle, that’s why I would pick [name_f]Noa[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f].

I like both [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and I wouldn’t say they’re trendy; more like recently popular on Nameberry.

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_m]Noam[/name_m] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Noa[/name_f] are both nice

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Romi[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Lavi
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Tamar[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_m]Oren[/name_m]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Rimona[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Astera[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Adara[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Kelilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Keren[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Nomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Orli[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_u]Yael[/name_u]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Zadie[/name_f]

I do think of [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] as trendy, but not in the way [name_m]Maddox[/name_m] and [name_f]Everleigh[/name_f] are trendy. I don’t see it trending with the general public, at least not enough to get in the top 150. It’s more trendy in the way that all names that can be called hipster are trendy, I definitely can imagine a “hipster” couple picking [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] for their daughter. Personally that kind of trendy doesn’t seem bad to me, but that’s up to you to decide!
As for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], I think it’s more of a classic. If you go on its popularity tab on nameberry you’ll see that it never left the top 1000 starting 1880 and ending in 2019! That’s pretty impressive and definitely how I’d describe a classic name. It was the most popular in 1937, so it’s been 82 years since it was at its peak. For names, that usually means they’re about to get revived really soon! It fell out of popularity in the 90s and early 2000s while still staying in the top 600, because unlike names like [name_f]Linda[/name_f] and [name_f]Sharon[/name_f] it’s a classic that prevails over time. Right now it’s in the top 450 I think so plenty of people don’t see it as an old lady name!

I think Sylvie is lovely, and I do much prefer it to Sylvia. Sylvie sounds so beautifully vintage, and makes me think of woodland animals and wandering through a forest. It’s a beautifully romantic name, but also very grounded and earthy.

I don’t think Sylvie is ‘trendy’. Sylvia is a good classic, having been in the top 500 in the US since the 1800’s (which is pretty impressive, really). Sylvie gets mentioned around here quite a bit, yes, but outside of these forums, it’s barely in use for modern day children. It may well gain a little on the charts in future years though because it is a lovely vintage French name (as vintage names, particularly with a French influence, are trending in general) and those that enjoyed Amelie, Esme, Juliette and Margaux may enjoy Sylvie, too.

I love Noa Sylvie! It’s gorgeous. I also like Sylvie Noa a lot, if you prefer Sylvie up front.

I love the suggestion of [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_u]Carmel[/name_u]. Gorgeous!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Orin[/name_m], [name_f]Keren[/name_f], and [name_f]Rimona[/name_f]!