Is the name Darwin usable?

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] definitely inspired my want to use this name, as he (more specifically his work) has been a major influence on me and the world of science.
So this name would obviously give a kid a lot of weight to carry on their name… Haha. [name]Do[/name] you think it would be usable, or too much for a kid to handle as their name? Would it be better as a middle name?

I was thinking maybe [name]Jeffrey[/name] [name]Darwin[/name], or [name]Darwin[/name] [name]Jeffrey[/name]. What do you think? (The name [name]Jeffrey[/name] also has important meaning to me.)

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

I actually really like the name [name]Darwin[/name]. However i have always had one primary concern. The [name]Darwin[/name] Awards. Now if you havnt heard of these, then it may actually sound like a good name. Its not. Because [name]Darwin[/name] was mocked so much, people had this profound obession with his “mental health”,most people thinking he was insane. It became a mock term like “Oh your so [name]Darwin[/name]”, for “Oh your so crazy” Then the [name]Darwin[/name] awards came out. Basically the [name]Darwin[/name] Awards, are a series of awards given out to people who do stupid things, i recall one year a person, who di end up dieing, on his own decided to see how high up he could parachute out a air plane without doing any sort of math or reprocustions. [name]Darwin[/name] is a yerm deemed to stupid. While i believe [name]Charles[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] did wonderful fantastic work, and i personally believe in trhe theory of evelution, i think that when the child is older they would be teased. I would use it as a middle name, not a first for these reasons, [name]Jeffrey[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] doesnt quite sound right, maybe because the first thing i thought of was [name]Jeffrey[/name] Dauhmer, the serial killer :frowning: Sorry. Im not good at giving suggestions for names but the other posters will. Good [name]Luck[/name]! Sorry if i spoiled the name, its just those were big points to me.

I thought the [name]Darwin[/name] Awards was people who naturally selected themselves out of the gene pool by the results of their stupidity.

And I was right. If you’re using the word or name [name]Darwin[/name] as an epithet regarding [name]Darwin[/name]'s mental health, it’s a misnomer or malaprop.

Edited to add: I agree [name]Jeffrey[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] sounds a little close to [name]Jeffrey[/name] Dahmer. I am not really fond of the sound of the name [name]Darwin[/name]. I can’t argue wanting to use the name of a personal hero or someone you admire, but it’s bound to attract a lot of interpersonal issues, more or less depending on where you live. I don’t really like very on-the-nose namesakes either, but that’s a personal decision, i.e., I very much like [name]John[/name] [name]Lennon[/name], but the name [name]Lennon[/name] just feels so obvious. It’s up to you if you think about all those factors and none of them bother you, it’s ok.

I think it would be ok to use. It would fit in with other surname babies out there. I don’t think it would be too big of a name to live up to. It is cute for a baby as well as suiting for a grown man. You should definetly stick with [name]Jeffery[/name] (or something else well known) as a middle name so if he felt akward with [name]Darwin[/name], he could always use D. [name]Jeffery[/name] ____ for his name. I knew a [name]Darwin[/name] in college, at the time I thought it was a little odd, but I think it would fit in better today. Or [name]Dawson[/name] would be an alternative with a similar sound but not the meaningful connection you have with [name]Darwin[/name].

The awards are given to people to who die doing stupid things, to my knowlegde, people dont knowingly think, im stupid so im going to do something stupid and memorable to kill myself. It people who accidentally kill themselves, by trying to do something and not doing it right.

Example being "[name]Darwin[/name] says, “Double [name]Darwin[/name]!”
(26 [name]September[/name] 2009, Dinant, Belgium) Two bankrobbers attempting to make a sizeable withdrawal from an ATM machine died when they overestimated the quantity of dynamite needed for the explosion. Nobody else was in the building at the time of the attack. Robber One was rushed to hospital severely injured, and Robber Two was unexpectedly excavated from the debris twelve hours later.

Uncovering the second bungler’s body was a surprise because investigators initially assumed that the accomplice had managed a getaway. Would-be robbers One and Two weren’t exactly impoverished–their getaway car was a BMW."

Possibly im misunderstanding what you said [name]Karen[/name]? The [name]Darwin[/name] awards like to laugh at other people’s deaths, and which demands to be intellectually admired for doing so. The [name]Darwin[/name] Awards exist to award “stupid people whose stupidity leads to their killing themselves, thereby removing themselves from the gene pool”.

I wouldnt consider stupidity and death to fall under the same category as Natural Selection, as people do not choose to be stupid, while most people knowingly dos tuff that leads to there death, in the examply above, these robbers thought they would get away from with money, they didnt purposly put to much dynamite and kill themselves. They were simply “honoured” with a [name]Darwin[/name] Award because they were stupid, and thefor could no longer reproduce, and breed more “intelecually challanged” people. I personally believe that the [name]Darwin[/name] Awards are a insult, on [name]Darwin[/name] and annyone who has the misfortune to recieve one of these awards (mostly because you must be dead to be awarded a [name]Darwin[/name]). They mock people, and their untimely demise, and as i said i wouldnt exactly call accidental death by means of stupitiy natural selection, because then (and in advance no offense to anyone) all people who are mentally or physically retarted would be naturally selected to die. Sorry im no longer arguing with you, more so arguing with the creators of the award and the flaws within it. However i do know that some people do highyl stupid things, and when i say highly i mean highly. So i guess this is a double standard because within the mockery of people that just do dumb things, are people who did something stupid, by accident. I am very interested to know why they chose to call them the darwin awards, i cannot seem to find any good solid information on that, but from what i gather its an insult on the brillent charles darwin. The real, scientifically given [name]Charles[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] Award is a much better suit for the ledgendary [name]Darwin[/name] as they are given to the most presteigious of zoological students. However i do deem the [name]Darwin[/name] Awards a rather large insult to [name]Charles[/name] [name]Darwin[/name]

I like [name]Darwin[/name]. I associate it with [name]Charles[/name] [name]Darwin[/name] (obviously), the [name]Darwin[/name] Awards (not so good) and [name]Darwin[/name], NT (a city in Australia). I would definitely use it as a mn over a fn though.

• [name]Charlie[/name]

What about using [name]Charles[/name]?

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I agree with [name]Jill[/name], that if you wanted to honor the late great [name]Charles[/name] [name]Darwin[/name], go with [name]Charles[/name]. Im a very scienetific person, so there is a VERY large chance that i over think and know to much for my own good bout the [name]Darwin[/name] association, but just in case:) I have always thought [name]Charles[/name] to be a good, classic name. [name]Charlie[/name] is a cute nn, and the name ages well all in all. Since i dont think i said it before, and sorry i ranted. Good [name]Luck[/name]! :slight_smile:

In university I had a friend named darwin. I like the name. He never got teased or had any trouble because of his name.

Thanks [name]Jill[/name], I really like this suggestion. So would [name]Charles[/name] [name]Jeffrey[/name] or [name]Jeffrey[/name] [name]Charles[/name] sound better? But maybe using [name]Charles[/name] will bring less bad connections for people. I really like this option :slight_smile: Thank you

I really like [name]Jeffrey[/name] [name]Darwin[/name]… I think that [name]Darwin[/name] is not THAT special that you couldn’t use it as middle name…

I think both combos have a good flow so really it depends if you like the nn [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Jeff[/name] better.

• [name]Charlie[/name]

You’re welcome, [name]Rachel[/name]! :slight_smile: I love [name]Charles[/name]! I think that [name]Jeffrey[/name] [name]Charles[/name] has a better flow than [name]Charles[/name] [name]Jeffrey[/name], but I love [name]Charles[/name] more than [name]Jeffrey[/name].

If you like [name]Jefferson[/name], I think that [name]Charles[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] (or even [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Charles[/name]) sounds great! :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile:

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Jeffrey[/name] sounds great to me – it could work equally well on a baby, a child, an adolescent, or an adult!

The [name]Darwin[/name] Awards are not an insult to [name]Darwin[/name]! To be considered for an award the person must have died or sterilised themselves BEFORE having offspring, thereby removing their genes from the collective gene pool, and improving the intelligence of the species. It’s a facetious joke, but no reflection on [name]Darwin[/name] himself.

I think [name]Charles[/name] is a better name than [name]Darwin[/name], only because I prefer the sound and appearance of the name, I personally admire the scientist :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Darwin[/name] and thinks it is totally usable and is a nod to a great scientist who changed the way we all see the world we live in. Go for it!