Is the name Deirdre 'too old' in the UK?

In the U.S. its not very common, but I’ve heard in [name]England[/name] it’s considered a ‘middle-aged’ name. Can anyone give me some info on this? thanks!

When I was about 17 or 18 I dyed my hair really dark, almost black, black cherry to be exact and I started calling myself [name]Deirdre[/name] at work. I haven’t heard the name used in the states for a while and not sure which age group it mostly belongs too. I like it actually. It feels Old Hollywood with a twist of mystery. I wonder what nn’s would work?
[name]DeeDee[/name]/[name]Didi[/name]?

In Australia where I live we pronounce it as Deed ree which I understand is not said like that in the US? I love this pronunciation.

I think that this is a name for a redheaded girly, girl. I am surprised that it hasn’t been common for a while. It is a really nice name I will have to remember this one and hope that someone can appreciate it and use it for their daughter.

I can definately say that [name]Deirdre[/name] (I pronoun it Deer - dree) is considered VERY middle aged/old and in no way ready for revival in the UK. In fact I work with someone called [name]Dee[/name] who is in her early forties and have only recently found out that her name is actually [name]Deirdre[/name], I would usually associate it with some one in their 60’s/70’s.

I think the problem that comes with the name is that it sounds too much like ‘dreary’ (is that a term used in the US?) If not it just means dull, grey, dismal that sort of thing and not really something you would want to have your name associated with!

The problem with the name in [name]England[/name] is that it was very popular here in the 40s/50s, but instead of prn ‘DEER-dra’ as the Irish name is supposed to, English parents prn it ‘DEER-dree’. (I’m saying just [name]England[/name] here – maybe [name]Wales[/name] as well – because I don’t think [name]Scotland[/name] and [name]Ireland[/name] would have fallen into this prn trap).

The fact that there is a long-standing soap character in Coronation [name]Street[/name] called [name]Deirdre[/name] (who has been on the show for decades) doesn’t help the name with it’s ‘middle aged’ image.

[name]Dierdre[/name] as ‘DEER-dra’ would look more fresh and ‘cool’ to British parents, but the problem is that most people would still prn it ‘DEER-dree’ so that will put them off.

It is considered middle aged and not v pretty in [name]England[/name]. It is an Irish name and pn differently in [name]Ireland[/name] as the previous poster said. I used to have an Irish friend called [name]Deirdre[/name] (pn Deer-dra) and I think, from what she said that it is also old fashioned over there.

I am in the US, so take this with that in mind. [name]Deirdre[/name] is not very common and I don’t have it placed within a certain age range. I did know one in high school. I think the nickname [name]Dee[/name] or [name]Deedee[/name] is quite strikingly someone of a certain age whose name is almost certainly [name]Deirdre[/name] who doesn’t go by their formal name, however.

As lovely as some names are that come from a century ago, as described and/or prescribed by [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name], these old old names come into vogue for whatever reason, many of the coolest people I’ve met have a name that was kind of pass”, uncommon but not in the “good way” as old names are revived and refreshed for the incoming generations. I think of [name]Deirdre[/name] as a name that has a positive and interesting sound that can be carried off at any age or point in time just because no matter what, it’s still a pretty name. Like I said, some of the coolest people I’ve ever met have a name that was somewhere well past its prime and yet not in league for a comeback just yet.

I get the feeling, however, [name]Deirdre[/name] might sound in the UK a lot like our [name]Barbara[/name]. To me, this is the ultimate time-trapped name. Unlike [name]Lorraine[/name] or [name]Deborah[/name] or [name]Linda[/name] or [name]Janet[/name] or [name]Carol[/name] or [name]Phyllis[/name], it just has a hard shell of time about it, mysteriously popular for some reason and subsequently THE “mom-name” name, in my mind. There are no variations or reworkings of [name]Barbara[/name] following its heyday. It never sounds younger than 60 now, and I may be being conservative about that. [name]Young[/name] Marthas and Phyllises or Lorettas of my day were way cooler than the occasional [name]Barbara[/name]. The way [name]Deirdre[/name] is being described by the UK contingent sounds more like a [name]Barbara[/name] than a hipstery [name]Phyllis[/name] or a revived [name]Felicia[/name] or [name]Felicity[/name] that keeps in tune with several of the current trends.