Is the popularity of a name really THAT important?

The reason I ask is that my husband and I have been going back and forth on names for the past little while ([name_m]Hence[/name_m] my posts lately). We have a couple that we like (He likes [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] while I prefer [name_f]Edith[/name_f]) but the name we both agree on completely is [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]. However, we had previously dismissed it because it is a top 50 name. (Or there about) That just seems like I would be meeting a whole bunch of little [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]'s (or [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]'s considering it is even more popular) but I haven’t come across a single one. So my question to you all would be “Is a popular name really that popular?” Or are we being concerned these names are like the next [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] for nothing?

And a side note…Have you met any [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]'s or [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]'s?

I need to clarify (based on a couple of comments posted below) The name is a top 50 name in my area. I’m not looking at National stats. (Plus I’m from Canada so we don’t even have them) But the name seems to be about the same ranking locally for me as it is nationally for the US which is why I thought I would ask if people have met any little Audrey’s.

Popularity isn’t an end all for us but it is a consideration especially since our older daughters have names that they will probably never hear on another child in their class. So is it “fair” to have 2 children with relatively individual names and 1 child who has a popular one? Or is that just way over thinking it…

There is lots to consider which is why I wanted to hear what other people thought.

You say they’re the only names you can agree on, and obviously that’s important, but do you really love either of them? Because you’re clearly having doubts.

I personally don’t know ANYONE called [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]/[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] (actually, I know a male [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] in his 60s but I don’t think that counts) but then I’m in the UK where they’re not popular at all.

I love [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f].

The SSA stats that come out every [name_f]May[/name_f] are NATIONAL stats for the US. Perhaps [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] isn’t so popular in your state. If you haven’t met one in your neighborhood, I think you’ll be fine. I would suggest that you go on the SSA site and get the stats for [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] for your state. I like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] is trendier and doesn’t have the depth and history of the other names.

I have a student named [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] who is 12/13 in 7th grade, and I know a toddler [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] that just turned 2. I don’t know a lot of younger children, but I would imagine that there are more of them in that age group. One way to find out is to go to the SSA website and download the zip file of the names by year and the names by state documents. Then you can see how many exactly were born, and even more specific how many were born in your state. This might encourage you to use it, instead of making you question its popularity. Good luck!

I knew one [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] years ago when she was still an infant. Now she is most likely about ten years old.
Besides her, no one and I don’t know any Audreys.
I think popularity is a great tool for giving parents or name-enthusiasts an idea of how it may affect a child named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] versus [name_f]Taryn[/name_f] and whether or not that is a determining factor in regards to choosing a name.
The rankings seems to influence some people very strongly, and others not so much.
I think knowing the ranking of a name is helpful to anyone naming anyone or anything. it certainly seems to help people narrow down their choices or come to certain realizations, like meanings are not as important as honoring family members or vice versa.
I feel like rankings are just one tool available to parents. [name_m]How[/name_m] much do you like the name? major difference between liking and loving a name.
For me personally, it is not a determining factor. I tend to have unusual taste, although I like classics, popularity could start to irritate me and steer me away from [name_u]Noah[/name_u] as a first name.
On a one to ten scale, ten being most influential factor in choosing a name, popularity is at a five to me.
I take into consideration if there is a family name I want to use or if I know anyone with the name. bad associations, someone close to me having a poor opinion of the name, and the flow with my surname are just a few reasons to not choose a name besides popularity spikes.

Popularity varies depending on where you live. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because it’s in the top 50 for the whole country, doesn’t necessarily mean people where you are are using it to death. I personally know one [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] who is my age (friend from college) and one [name_f]Aubree[/name_f] (female, spelled like that) who is a few years older (a former classmate’s older sister). I haven’t met any little Audreys or Aubreys recently. If you don’t encounter them, chances are it’s not “the new [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]” if your area.

Furthermore, if you love it, who cares if it’s popular?

I know a baby [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and an adult [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], but no [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]. I would definitely not give up a name you love because it is popular, so long as it’s not overwhelming in popularity. Really, as long as it’s not a top 5 name, it wouldn’t be an issue, personally. I might even use a top 5 name if I was really in love.

In my daughter’s Seattle daycare, there is a 1-year-old [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and a 4-year-old [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]. I know an [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] in her 30s. I think it really depends on your area, but most likely your daughter would have another [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] or two at her school, possibly one in her grade, maybe even in her class. But it’s not going to be like the 80’s where half the girls were named [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] or [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. There is a lot more variety in naming these days.
When naming our first daughter, we ruled out names like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] because they felt too popular, and went with [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], which we also loved and was around number 500. A few months ago we met another [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] within a year of our daughter’s age, who just so happens to live a few blocks away from us. You just can’t predict these things. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you pick the rarest name you can think of, someone else will think of it too. This time around we are considering [name_f]Alice[/name_f], which is a top 100-name in our state, because we really like it and … we realized it’s just not the end of the world if she meets another girl with the same name.

[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] specifically is exploding in my area, at least it seems to be. Several little girls born within my ‘circle’ have been named [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] in the last five years or so.

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f], though, is still fresh. It’s more unexpected that the trendier [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] here. Classic, a bit old fashioned, and with a great nod to the arts. It’s a great name, [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

My mom went to school with an [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]. But it was a boys name back then so I find it strange that it got converted to a girls name so quickly. (Or that is how it seems). Especially since the origin isn’t even on nameberry for the boys name. If [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] by itself was popular I don’t think we would have as much of an issue but the popularity of [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] coupled with [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is throwing us. We don’t want our child to always have to correct people or have to deal with teachers and students mixing them up. Because really, they sound remarkably similar.

There have been some great posts. I especially liked yours clairejustine. So thank you for all the comments and opinions. It is something we will have to figure out I guess.