is there a cool, current variant for Janis and Jeanne?

See the results of this poll: what works for Janis and Jeanne?

Respondents: 89 (This poll is closed)

• Janessa: 8 (9%)
  • Jeanette: 8 (9%)
  • Jane: 45 (51%)
  • Janelle: 5 (6%)
  • Jeanne: 5 (6%)
  • Janica: 1 (1%)
  • Zaneta: 7 (8%)
  • Yana: 10 (11%)

I just saw on tv tonight [name]John[/name] [name]Hamm[/name] from Mad Men refer to [name]January[/name] [name]Jones[/name] as [name]Jan[/name]. I love it as a mn! I voted [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Jeanne[/name]!

I voted for [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Zaneta[/name]. I know an 11 year old [name]Zaneta[/name] and she pronounces it zah-NET-ah

[name]Jane[/name] is very cool! But I love pp’s suggestion of [name]January[/name] ([name]Jan[/name]). Ultra cool.

Definitely [name]Jane[/name], although I’ve always loved [name]Jean[/name] too without the -ne.

I voted for [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Zaneta[/name].

[name]Zaneta[/name] is Czech and in that language it is pronounced ZHA-ne-ta. (there is a diacritic above the z that gives it the zh sound like s in measure). There is also [name]Zana[/name] (ZHA-na).

[name]Jane[/name] and [name]Jeanne[/name] or [name]Jane[/name] make good middle names, so does [name]Jeanette[/name].

[name]Joanna[/name]?
[name]Gianna[/name]?
[name]Janette[/name]?
[name]Janetta[/name]?
[name]Janine[/name]?
[name]Jeannine[/name]?
[name]Janina[/name]?
[name]Janna[/name]?

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jane[/name], and would use it in a second if it worked with my last name. Timeless yet current - perfect balance.

[name]January[/name] is a winner for a mn as well.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Jane[/name]! I went to elementary school with a girl named [name]January[/name], nn [name]Jan[/name]. It was really cute and wearable. I thought I’d also suggest [name]Joan[/name] and [name]June[/name], but those may be too far off from [name]Janis[/name] and [name]Jeanne[/name]. [name]How[/name] about [name]Janiece[/name]? [name]Jacinda[/name]?

[name]Zaneta[/name] (Zha-neta) is really pretty imo, I also like Jeness with an “e” better than [name]Janessa[/name]. And [name]Janiece[/name] is nice too.

Since both names are feminine forms of [name]John[/name] you can basically use any other feminine form of [name]John[/name] to honour them both :slight_smile: Some of my favourite feminine “[name]John[/name]” names are:

[name]Ivana[/name]
[name]Vanna[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Giovanna[/name]
[name]Juanita[/name] (wa-neet-ah)
[name]Johanna[/name]
[name]Gianna[/name]
[name]Sinead[/name] (Shi-NAYD)
[name]Siobhan[/name] (Sha-VAHN)
[name]Yoana[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helped!

Def [name]Jane[/name] from your list.
Have you considered [name]Janine[/name]? Has both the [name]Jan[/name] from [name]Janis[/name] and the long “e” from [name]Jeanne[/name]. A dramatic twist could be Jardin/Jardine from the french for garden.
Good luck!

[name]Love[/name] the suggestion of Jardin/Jardine! I also thought of [name]Jansen[/name] and [name]Jensen[/name] if you want more of a surname/unisex vibe.

I think [name]Janine[/name] is the best way to honor both [name]Janis[/name] and [name]Jeanne[/name]. And, [name]Janine[/name] has the great combo of two syllables with stress on the second (like [name]Marie[/name]) that makes it so flexible with first names.

great suggestions everyone!

that is a really good point about [name]Janine[/name] having the best balance between the jan and the eane of [name]Jeanne[/name]! :slight_smile: i don’t know how i missed that! thank you!!

i think i like [name]Yanina[/name] too. is that a real name?

I grew up with a [name]Jenica[/name], and always thought it was a pretty name. It’s an Eastern European version on [name]Jane[/name], if I recall correctly. Out of the options listed, I like [name]Jane[/name] best. Good luck!

i love [name]Jane[/name] too, i just worry that it’s so close to [name]Jan[/name] and [name]Jeanne[/name] but so neither, that both ladies will end up feeling like it is actually not for them… idk why. [name]Zaneta[/name] is so clearly a variant that i thought it might be less of an issue. i like [name]Zana[/name] too… i love the concept of [name]January[/name], but i feel like there should be a [name]REASON[/name] almost for why you are making a [name]January[/name] reference, even though i don’t feel that way about the name [name]June[/name]… idk. my husband hates [name]Jan[/name]! :frowning: so far his favorite is [name]Janelle[/name] (he prn jen-[name]ELLE[/name]) though, which no one on here seems to like, lol! so funny. i’m struggling to liberate [name]Janine[/name] from my association with [name]Janeane[/name] Garofalo…

[name]Jennett[/name] is a variant spelling of [name]Jeannette[/name] (I think) that’s been around forever and looks surnamey. It seems distant from both.

[name]Jennis[/name]?

Good luck!

My apologies in advance for repeats.

My favorite form by far of your suggestions was [name]Jane[/name]. [name]Jane[/name] is in. [name]Jane[/name] is cool.
I also love the suggestion of [name]January[/name]. You could even nn her [name]Jane[/name] if you wanted!
[name]Jean[/name] & [name]Joan[/name] each seem to me like they could be on the cusp of revival, maybe next generation. You could be ahead of the game choosing these.

Of the names I searched related to [name]John[/name], my favorites were
[name]Giovanna[/name] ([name]Gianna[/name] works too, but lacks the fun V. [name]Gio[/name] is a cool nn.)
[name]Hannelore[/name] (Maybe not as a fn, but I [name]LOVE[/name] THIS! Too cool for words.)
[name]Ivana[/name], [name]Ivanka[/name] (Again, fun V. My preference is towards the exotic [name]Ivanka[/name].)
[name]Siobhan[/name] (One of the more universally known Gaelic-spelling names.)
[name]Vanja[/name], [name]Vanna[/name] (Cool V’s abound!)

As for names that don’t directly relate to [name]Jeanne[/name]/[name]Jane[/name]/[name]Janis[/name], but I think would work? (Most of this have [name]Jan[/name], [name]Jean[/name], [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Jen[/name] in them.)
[name]Jacinta[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name]
[name]Jasmine[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Jelena[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] (No N, but it still has the J, E, & A of [name]Jean[/name].)
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Ginevra[/name]
([name]Even[/name] [name]Virginia[/name]? [name]Ginny[/name] and [name]Jenny[/name]? Maybe that’s stretching it.)
[name]Jesenia[/name]/[name]Yesenia[/name]
[name]Jillian[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]June[/name], [name]Juno[/name], [name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Justine[/name]

Give us your feedback on which you like!
NameGoddess

P.S. PLEASE do not go with [name]Janelle[/name], [name]Jeanette[/name] or [name]Janessa[/name] and variants of those. That would be a cruel thing to inflict upon a child when there are much more child-friendly and updated options.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Jana[/name]?

I know you will say I am crazy but I think [name]Genevieve[/name] is the best option. It has the J sound and is a very today name and absolutely beautiful as well, otherwise I would be going with [name]Juliet[/name].