Is there any love for poor Elfrida?

I have always loved ‘[name_m]Fred[/name_m]’ names.

My favourites are [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] for the boys (I pronounce it as three syllables fred-uh-rick)…

…and [name_f]Frederica[/name_f] for the girls (fred-uh-ree-kuh).

I also love [name_f]Freda[/name_f] (free-duh), [name_f]Frederique[/name_f], [name_f]Freyda[/name_f], [name_f]Alfreda[/name_f] and [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f].

However I just happened to stumble upon the nameberry page for [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] and the comment reads “[name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] is unappealing on every level.”

Is this a pretty universal opinion? Or does any one else out there see her appeal?

I tend to side-step the opinions next to the names in the database :wink:

I didn’t like any of the [name_f]Frida[/name_f] names until I named one of the characters in my next book [name_f]Wilfreda[/name_f]. Now that I’ve spent some time with her in my head, I have to admit, they all appeal to me now :slight_smile:

[name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] is particularly pretty.

Out of all the names listed, I like [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] the best. It’s not terrible, but it does have a very good-girl feel for me.

I actually know an [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f].
I like it, even if only for the nickname [name_f]Elfie[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Frida[/name_f] might be a bit more usable. It’s just as frumpy but I can see her with trendy parents and sisters [name_f]Maude[/name_f] and [name_f]Agnes[/name_f]. Plus there’s the [name_f]Frida[/name_f] [name_f]Kahlo[/name_f] association.

[name_f]Freyda[/name_f] is lovely too.

Ok I’m glad to hear that [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] isn’t universally hated!

[name_f]Elfie[/name_f] is the cutest nickname!

I like [name_f]Freya[/name_f] :slight_smile: I’m not sure about [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] yet…I’ve never heard of it before, so it might grow on me…but I do love [name_f]Frederique[/name_f] - very charming & smart :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] has quite a bit of charm. [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] would be my favourite of the female fred names though!

oceansunrise - I have a bad association with a girl named [name_f]Freya[/name_f] back in my school days which I just can’t shake. I still love [name_f]Freyda[/name_f] though.

I think [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] is a grower.

This is OT but I just noticed Artorius in your sig. I have been loving this recently, as well as feminine form Artoria. You have such a great name list.

caroline147 - For some reason I have never warmed to [name_f]Winifred[/name_f], even though [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] is cute.

I like [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f]! I think it is nice although I like best [name_f]Frida[/name_f] on its own.

Thanx Freddiethepink :slight_smile: !!! Can’t say I came-up with my entire list of names all by myself…other Berries (including yourself) suggested many of them or inspired me…isn’t it great finding new, fresh NB gems !

I don’t really like [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] it doesn’t flow right and reminds me too much of the world Elf. There would be so much teasing and bullying with this name.