Is there such thing as a truly unisex baby name?

i think you’re taking this to a different place than i was going and i am reading your response as aggressive, so i am going to disengage because i don’t want to get defensive or debate human behavior xx

i don’t perceive gender neutrality as male code applied to women and i don’t think i ever insinuated that but i do want to just amend that here if i did.

2 Likes

@lumosmaxima Thanks for your thoughtful responses here

@hazelelponi I don’t think you’re saying anything inherently bad, but just a friendly reminder that a lot of young trans and non-bianary people use this website, and talking about gender in such strict terms might not make everyone feel super welcome. [name_m]Just[/name_m] keep that in mind when discussing these things, imagine you’re talking dirrectly to someone who feels very differently about their gender and make sure you’re comfortable saying everythign to them.

This is a super interesting thread, it’s very interesting to see everyone’s associations, thanks for starting it , and for having an open conversation about the complexities of gender and names

I totally agree with a lot of the things you’ve said in this thread @lumosmaxima, I also think a lot more parents will start raising kids in a way that’s more sensitive to not imposing strict gender norms.

I know I’m only considering names that at least lean gender neutral because I specifically don’t want people to assume gender from a name

Edit- I forgot to add that I love Clementine for a boy, and I think many people do find it easier to see traditionally masculine names on girls, but not the other way around, so I’m always looking for ways to get past that tendencie.

I’d love to hear suggestions on more traditionally femm names for boys!

sorry, had a bad day yesterday. there was no reason to take it out on you, of course, but i did, and i’d like to say sorry.

but clementine is a derivative of “clement”, which is a male name? (one of my faves, in fact.)