Is this a bad idea? Please help!

We have a daughter named [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]. She goes by both her full name and [name_f]Evie[/name_f]. We are having another daughter this month. We are set on naming her [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. We would prefer to call her by her full name of [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] because we love it and we can’t agree on a nickname. Is it weird if we have an daughter with a nickname [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and another daughter named [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]? Or should try to find a nickname for [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] too? We realize that [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] will not go by [name_f]Evie[/name_f] her whole life.

Many parents match the name of their children, be it with initials, meaning, origin, themes and a bunch of other stuff.
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] is a name I also love so much, I chose it as my daughter [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]'s middle name. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] has a lot of the same sounds as [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], but I don’t see it as being a major problem, unless in the future you decide to have another baby–and then what name would you choose to match? It’s something for you to reflect on.

I personally would go with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] if I really loved it, no matter what. You can always use [name_f]Vivi[/name_f], [name_f]Viva[/name_f], [name_f]Gen[/name_f], [name_f]Jenna[/name_f], [name_f]Neva[/name_f] or [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] as nicknames as well as many others you can come up with. Many times we end up making up nicknames and pet names for our children that have nothing to do with their actual names.

Yes. With all due respect, if two names can easily result in the same nickname–in this case, [name_f]Evie[/name_f]–then they’re too close for sisters. [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are both gorgeous names, but they’re kind of like sisters named [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], with the caveat that [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] goes by [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you really want to call out [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] on the playground? Or what about when they’re becoming adults–perhaps they will fight over the adult nickname of [name_f]Eve[/name_f] or [name_f]Eva[/name_f].

If you just love [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], consider putting it in the middle.

Otherwise, here are some alternatives:

[name_u]Juniper[/name_u] - This has a very similar sound to [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] but it is distinct from [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]. [name_u]June[/name_u] makes a really nice nickname option.
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] - Another name with a similar feel as [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], but a little more set apart. If [name_u]Jess[/name_u] or [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] are too mainstream, [name_f]Mina[/name_f] or [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] (very on-trend!) are appealing nickname options.
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - Very similar sound to [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] without the [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] is a nice nn here too.

Some others:
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] (ah-muh-lee)
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] - its meaning would fit well with [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]; [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is a nice nn
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f] - same [name_m]French[/name_m] vibe
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gloria[/name_f] - its meaning would fit well with [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Jacoba[/name_f]
[name_u]January[/name_u]
[name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Jubilee[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f]
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] - has the same flow and [name_m]French[/name_m] origin as [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]; [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is a nice nn
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Raffaella[/name_f]
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemarie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Violette[/name_f] (vee-oh-let)

I appreciate both of your opinions. To answer your questions, this will be our last child for sure. 3 is plenty! We are 100% set on the first name [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. We realize some people may think the full names are too similar but we do not. In actuality, they only share an “ev”. It’s the nicknames we are concerned with. But after months of consideration, we feel we would regret not using the name that we love and feels right to us because of a nickname our toddler currently has. Both names have many nicknames to choose from. For right now, we will call the girls by their full names. If we choose a nickname for [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] down the line, it would start with a G. Thanks again for your honest replies!

[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] might go by [name_f]Evie[/name_f] her whole life… my name is [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] and I go by [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] and don’t plan on ever changing that (I’m 21). I don’t think its to childish and it fits me a million times better then [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] ever would.

That being said I don’t think its that weird. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] are definitely different enough as full names that its ok. You just have to be ok with the fact that it takes the nickname [name_f]Eve[/name_f]/[name_f]Evie[/name_f] away from [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]'s options. I think you should call her [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] but realize that along the way a nickname is probably going to happen and if you start it then you get to pick lol I personally love the nickname [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] and think that [name_f]Evie[/name_f] & [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] makes a really cute sibling set. Other options are [name_f]Gen[/name_f]/ [name_f]Genna[/name_f]/ [name_f]Jenna[/name_f]/ [name_f]Eve[/name_f]/ [name_f]Evie[/name_f]… i think thats it… I like [name_f]Ginny[/name_f]!

I don’t think it’s weird. [name_m]Just[/name_m] find a different nickname for [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. For what it’s worth, [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is on my list and I would never in a million years nickname her [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], or [name_f]Evie[/name_f]. If you decide to go with a nickname, stick with the first half of her name. I think [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] make a gorgeous sibset!

I think [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are fine, though I’d recommend a nickname for [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] rhyme a bit.

I don’t associate [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] with the nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f], but if I knew her and knew that she was often called [name_f]Evie[/name_f], I would think it very strange to have another child name [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], for it’s so most common nicknames are probably [name_f]Gen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. I wouldn’t do it unless you can permanently get people to only call your other daughter [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (or some other nn like [name_u]Evan[/name_u] or something.)

Maybe use [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] as a middle name?

Yeah I think it’s fine since you are going to use a different nickname. I do think the names sound really similar though, too similar for me. I also have found that in coming up with names for another child I am heavily influenced by my love for my current children and their names. Although I’m not sure what you are asking? Since you say you are set on the name anyway.

If you call [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Evie[/name_f]’ and plan to call [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] by her full name, they become more similar than when their full names are said out loud.
Calling out [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] together have very similar sounds, as [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]'s nn is practically the last syllable of her sisters possible name.

You are asking us ‘Is this a bad idea?’ Well, yes if you are set on the name [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] you can definitely use it. However who is to say that [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]'s class friends don’t start calling her [name_f]Eve[/name_f]/[name_f]Evie[/name_f] without knowing that her sister goes by the same name?
It’s great in theory to say that they can each have their own nn, but in reality your child’s peers often form a nn for them naturally.

I don’t think they’re too close. [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] make great sisters. I’d just make sure to use too completely different nns so they don’t get confused. So [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] would be a bit close for me, but [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] or [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Neva[/name_f] would be fine.

I too am sort of confused about your question since you added to your original question that you are set on [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] as a first name. If you are set then it doesn’t really matter anymore whether it is a good idea. In full form the two names are not super similar but they are similar. As for nicknames, I first thought of [name_f]Gen[/name_f] as the most common nick name for [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] as I have known several people, all adults, who go by this. But the only baby I know who is named [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] goes by [name_f]Evie[/name_f]. I think if you establish a nickname like [name_f]Gen[/name_f] or [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] when your daughter is little that will avoid confusion between she and [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]. As for when they are older, who knows what names, nicknamed, etc.each sister will choose. At least they have quite a few options! Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are so lovely! I don’t really associate the nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f]/[name_f]Eva[/name_f] with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. So I don’t think you’ll have a major issue because people know [name_f]Evie[/name_f] is [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]'s nn. I love [name_f]Ginny[/name_f]! [name_m]How[/name_m] cute! There’s also [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], and [name_f]Gem[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Jenn[/name_f] with a G. [name_m]Even[/name_m] [name_f]Genie[/name_f]/[name_u]Jean[/name_u] would be cute, at least to me. If you say [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] as [name_f]Viv[/name_f]-ee I think that’d be fine with [name_f]Evie[/name_f].