Is this a boy or girl name?

When you hear [name]Grayson[/name], do you think of a boy or a girl?

Boy, definitely. [name]Grey[/name] is another story…

Boy name

Definitely boy, especially since it has ‘son’ right there in the name. I can’t see how anyone could see this name as feminine. It’s a surname, anyway, so I don’t like it on a boy or girl.

Boy for sure…

though, I imagine parents will start giving it to girls soon enough trying to be different…

Hands down a boy name, no matter how you spell it.

Absolutely boy.

I think of a boy, no matter what. It’s the ‘son’ at the end that spells it out for me.

I actually know a young girl named [name]Grayson[/name], but to me it is still a boys’ name, along with [name]Grey[/name]. I never understood why a name like [name]Madison[/name], etc., could be used so widely for girls when it has “son” in the name! I hope [name]Madison[/name] comes back someday as a boys’ name…(sorry, got a little off track there!) :slight_smile:

I think ‘boy’ but the only [name]Grayson[/name] I’ve known [name]IRL[/name] was a girl.

Ditto.

Boy. I have an aversion to names with ‘son’ in them being given to girls but then again there are exceptions like [name]Allison[/name], which I think are acceptable.

I’m also not too keen on the colour grey being used as a child’s name. It seems so dull and lifeless.

Instead of [name]Grayson[/name] (which also feels trendy to me) I would suggest [name]Mason[/name] for a boy or [name]Lilac[/name] for a girl.

[name]Hope[/name] this was helpful:)

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]EDIT[/name]: If that first sentence wasn’t grammatically correct, I apologise:)

Okay, I was thinking boy too. I thought about it for a girl, but it just didn’t seem right. I agree that the -son at the end makes it all boy.

I think girls can have a last name ending with -son in the patronymic culture, then it’s ok to have it as a first name. I know I’m odd that way, but if she’s not being distinguished from her brother in that regard, then it is really saying she is the son of her father’s father’s father anyway. That said, I think [name]Grayson[/name] is a boy’s name, however, it sounds a lot like [name]Grace[/name], and for various reasons, people don’t want to use [name]Grace[/name]. I think this one will turn out unisex, with many outrageous misspellings on either side. I think the worst one is “Greysun or Graysun.” The [name]SUN[/name] isn’t gray. See, that I have a problem with basically naming your child something so dreary as a gray sun. I’d bid for that spelling to be noted as having a distinct meaning from [name]Grayson[/name]. By contrast, Gracyn is a girls name (clearly?) and aside from looking kind of silly, doesn’t bother me - and people, there’s no “-son” in it, so it’s not breaking any archaic rules.

I might also be the only person who just doesn’t like this name too much at all. I can understand someone naming a daughter this, it has a little more “there” power than [name]Grace[/name], and I can see off spellings like Gracyn related to [name]Grace[/name] and not [name]Grayson[/name]. Or liking surnames. Sounds like a [name]Grace[/name] issue to me, and not stealing from the boys.

I think some of this overall trend has to do with people not thinking a name is long enough when it’s too short, which is not just a habit of people who mangle spellings and can’t get enough trendy. I’ve seen it here, wanting a long name so a short name can be the nickname.

All Boy…