Is this cruel?

[name_f]One[/name_f] of my top girl’s names from the time I was in elementary school has been [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] with the nickname [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] after a childhood hero. I’ve never even considered any other nicknames for my potential future [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. However, I was horror struck when updating my name combo idea list with my new husband’s last name, [name_f]Carys[/name_f] (pronounced to rhyme with [name_m]Harris[/name_m]) that people might call our [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f]. This seems an awful thing to do, like when parents name their kids [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Williams[/name_m] or things like that. I still love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] though and would never consider using any nickname other than [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]. so my question is what do you all think, is this cruel or just an unfortunate coincidence?

I have never heard of any [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] who went by [name_f]Carrie[/name_f]! It’s not cruel- totally safe. There is no intuitive nn for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] if you ask me, besides maybe [name_f]Char[/name_f]. So if you want her to only be [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], that shouldn’t be hard to accomplish. I wouldn’t worry! And [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f] actually sounds super cute :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard of [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] either, just [name_f]Char[/name_f] and [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]. I think it’s a pretty name, go for it!

Nah. I don’t think most Charlottes go by “[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]”. [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] is more of a stand-alone or a nickname for [name_f]Caroline[/name_f].

Thank you for your kind reply, which made me realize to my extreme embarrassment all the cold medicine I’m on has made me brain damaged, no wonder I’d never considered the combo a problem before because it’s a non-issue for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], although any future Carolines seem like a poor idea lol. I’d better log out of Nameberry for the duration of my cold before I start a thread about the issue of Edwards being nicknamed [name_u]Billy[/name_u]. Although I’m very relieved my favorite name is problem free!

[name_f]Every[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] I’ve ever known goes by [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] or [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], mostly [name_u]Charlie[/name_u].

If your last name was Chocolatefactory I would beg you to be cautious. But I think you’re safe. :slight_smile:

I’ve def never heard [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]! I have a distant great great Aunt who was named [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] and always wanted to use it but my husband said no. [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f] sounds great as does [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f].

I’ve never heard of [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] either— definitely [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] though. I think [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] C@rys and [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] C@rys would be lovely.

I think that [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f] is a beautiful name and that it would not be like naming a child [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Williams[/name_m]. Also I’ve never heard a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] been called [name_f]Carrie[/name_f]. My grandmother’s name is [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] but for some reason she goes by [name_f]Charlene[/name_f]. The only two nicknames that I know that are used for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] are [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], so I think it wont be cruel to name your daughter that.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f] actually sounds very nice, as does [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f]. I’ve met quite a few Charlottes, nicknamed [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]/[name_f]Char[/name_f], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], Chary, and the most interesting, [name_f]Chiara[/name_f].

I agree. I’ve found [name_f]Carly[/name_f] to be a huge stretch for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], and [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] even moreso. I can’t imagine you’d ever have to worry about having a little [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f], but that’s just me, I suppose. I think [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f] is adorable!