Is this going to far?

I have been really loving [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] if I ever had another daughter. I already know my first daughter will be [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f].
But I’m scared because [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is highly referred to [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], a tragic yet the most romantic love story of all time. While [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is referred to [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m], the heroine who (supposedly killed herself.) I love both names as sister because they are whimsical yet enchanting and classical, but elegant. So all you literature loving nameberries out there I want your thoughts on these two sisters.
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] & [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]

I think it’s a beautiful sibset I’d like to meet I am a huge [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] fan who also loves these names so no the associations don’t bother me in the slightest

I don’t think it’s going too far. The comparison that I drew was more of a love of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] than anything else. If you didn’t want to draw an immediate comparison, you could use [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] or Guiliette but I prefer the names as they are.
They are, above all, beautiful names from strong classics. They make a very sweet sibset.

I think [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] are fine as sibling names. But yes they do scream Shakespear. Though [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] does that for most people anyway. (Personally I prefer the spanish [name_f]Ofelia[/name_f] because it’s less [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m]'y… just a thought).

I actually find [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] a little heavy. Maybe it’s because [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] from [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] is often portrayed with flowers and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] makes me think of rose gardens. Also the famous line “a rose by any other name” is from R&J. It might just be a little bit much to have them all together.

Here’s a thought. I have friends who loved [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as names but decided it was too much of a theme. So one daughter has a floral fn and the other a floral mn. It’s a sweet connection without feeling overwhelming. I might suggest dropping [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and using [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] as a mn instead. For example I think: [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] would be great together.

I do think it’s too much. Not only are they both [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], they are both very well known and both kill themselves. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]? [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is from [name_m]King[/name_m] Lear, but she doesn’t kill herself and is actually quite a positive character. Also, the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] reference is much more subtle.

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] is very pretty, but I think [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is a bit heavy (agreeing with pp). [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] might be better. However, I do think [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] & [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] are too much for sisters. MAYBE if you had another child in between, ie. [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] & [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] & [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]. But just [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] & [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is too much. Another exception could maybe be made if they went by nicknames. ie. [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] going by [name_u]Julie[/name_u] or [name_u]Jules[/name_u] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] going by O, [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Lia[/name_f]. [name_u]Julie[/name_u] & O or [name_u]Jules[/name_u] & [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] wouldn’t be bad.

What a beautiful sibset! The names are classic, elegant, original and feminine. You’re not going too far.

I’ve asked myself this question before since both names are so gorgeous and yes, they’re too much for one sibset.
Especially since both characters died so young and tragically, I can see that being brought up by people even more when you have a sister who also has a “tragic” name.

I think [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] (already two Shakespearean names) and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] would be beautiful, though.

I see nothing wrong with it. Face it, a third of people will have no idea of [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] in [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] because it’s less discussed other than the famous “to be or not to be” line. They sound great together. Both beautiful picks.

I think this would be one of my problems, that because you have a sister named [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], people who would never make the connection otherwise would then “remember” about that one time they talked about [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] in school.

Not at all! I actually love that they both come from [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], it gives them a nice unifying element. They’re also both decadent (in a good way) and romantic, and they go really well together! I think [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is beautiful, but a little much- maybe [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]? [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] is also from [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], and I think it sounds amazing with [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]. Kind of a whimsical offset, because [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is quite luxurious. [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] is simply beautiful, and I wouldn’t change anything about it.

I love [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f], and you may just have to decide that you’ll just deal with what would come with it for the beauty of the name. [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is a bit much. Maybe use it as a middle name and bring some a bit lighter to the name. I personally didn’t jump to [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] until I saw [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f].
Another issue, not an easy name for a nick name.
Food for thought!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a bit too much. What about these combinations?

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f], sibset [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f], sibset [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]

[name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Lia[/name_f], sibset [name_f]Helena[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], as suggested above, but the shortform [name_f]Delia[/name_f] more!

[name_f]Delia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f], sibset [name_f]Delia[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]

I love the name [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]/ [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], its classical and beautiful and very charming. [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] & [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is very famous and I believe that [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] survived it better than [name_m]Romeo[/name_m]. Now said play is not so much romantic as tragic and foolish… The ‘romantic’ element is [name_m]Romeo[/name_m]'s need to love someone is consuming. They are very young with [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] being 14, he falls madly in love and he is handsome and she is 14… They are led to believe they can be secretly wed by a priest wit a contrived plan that backfires driving 2 innocent children to suicide… however this does potentially end the war… I wouldn’t call it romantic however and its very clear throughout that if she had not returned his affections he would find another girl and be equally as obsessed as he did before her… [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is also a lovely name, less common and less nn possibilities. She also commits suicide and falls to her death, [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] being a fine play about a young man going mad basically… All said if you’re using them because you love [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] :-/ but if you’re using them because you love them yes they’re both lovely and share commonalities that make them a lovely set. [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is my favorite female Shakespearean character, she has man wonderful characteristics and though they play her a bit it works out and she’s very clever and intelegent. [name_u]Hero[/name_u] being her cousin… There are many plays and many female characters if you’re simply looking for another Shakespearean choice but like I said for the love of the name they’re both very usable and people won’t see the Shakespearean connection of [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] likely so you should be safe and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is like I said still in use, though the connection will be made since I believe that is one of his more popular plays and it has been widely ‘taught’ though few people actually know the play and many people do believe its terribly romantic when it really is, like hamlet … One of his tradgedies. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t over think it if you like the names though really. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and presented [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] to my husband a while back and he aparently really doesn’t like the potential for this connection, so a partners feedback is vital. I didn’t even think about it in reference to the play, everyone is so different.

Personally, I think it is. They are both well known Shakespearean names. Maybe use [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] instead? That’s gorgeous too, and limits the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] references kinda.

This. For this reason I find it to be quite a dark sibset, rather than a romantic one.

No! Go for it. Beautiful names. :smiley:

Personally, I love, love, love [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and I will not use it because of the tragic nature of the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] character.

There is also this famous painting of [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] by [name_u]Millais[/name_u] that I wouldn’t be able to get out of my head:

So, I went ahead and named one of my cats [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]… cause I still like that name.

For all the excellent reasons outlined earlier I would steer away from [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]. If you really want a name from [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], why not consider these, which are just as elegant and beautiful as [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] (without the baggage!):

[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Valeria[/name_f]
[name_f]Portia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Luciana[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]
[name_f]Mariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Paulina[/name_f]
[name_f]Silvia[/name_f]

…And the list goes on!

i like [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]. It sounds better switched around with [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]