Is this name combo too Southern?

I’m from the Southwest part of the US, spending my time along the [name_u]West[/name_u] Coast (primarily [name_u]California[/name_u]) and [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_f]England[/name_f] (mostly Massachusetts). I plan to move to the [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_f]England[/name_f] area in the future. I prefer double names, but I’m curious if one of them would be recognized as being too Southern. The name is [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], all 3 of which are honor names for very specific people. Would it be better to make this a single mn, even if all the others are double mns? I fear if I chose any other name for the 3rd spot (and use [name_u]Lee[/name_u] in another combo), the name would be too long. I’ve thought about using [name_u]Christian[/name_u] (family mn which comes from our Danish family last name – Christensen – and hasn’t been used since 1948 when the last [name_u]Christian[/name_u] died) in place of [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] and/or [name_u]Robin[/name_u] or Seabert in place of [name_m]Robert[/name_m], but I’m not entirely sure.

Due to the number of people with the same name in the family (we have 6 Chrises (m&f), a [name_f]Krissy[/name_f] and a [name_f]Kristi[/name_f] as well as 15 or 16 people with [name_m]Robert[/name_m] somewhere in their names, many of which go by [name_m]Bob[/name_m], [name_u]Bobby[/name_u], [name_m]Rob[/name_m] or [name_u]Robby[/name_u]), I’ll be using the nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u] from day 1 if I go with this name (the alternative is to use the girl’s name Orestina to honor [name_u]Chris[/name_u] & [name_m]Rob[/name_m]).

Please let me know what you think.

ETA: I have roots in the [name_u]South[/name_u] (part of my family were among the first to settle [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_f]Carolina[/name_f]) and I have family currently from there. I’m more nervous about the accidental association with famous historical figures.

The names all seem fine, but the potential connection to [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u] is less than desirable. I love the nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u], though! You don’t need to feel obligated to make every name an honor name; it’s a sweet way to honor someone, but not necessary to show your love.

4 Likes

Thank you.

There are 3 people who mean the world to me, [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Donald[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. I cannot use [name_u]James[/name_u] (bad associations) and I don’t think I have much chance of using [name_m]Donald[/name_m] even though I love it. It helps that I love the names I’m looking at using.

You struck the nail on the head – [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u] was one of the things that came to mind when I looked back at the name again. I originally wrote [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m], but when I looked at adding a 2nd mn, [name_u]Lee[/name_u] was added and I didn’t look at it thoroughly until later.

This is a lovely way to honor them, then. A possible way to change the connotation is to switch to [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]; it has a different flow, but I still like it.

2 Likes

I’m also in the [name_u]South[/name_u]! This name seems perfectly normal to me. Not overly Southern imo! It’s lovely!

1 Like

[name_u]Rory[/name_u] is so sweet–I love the idea of using it as a nn for [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]! And the honor element here is clearly very special. I did immediately see the [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u] connection with the names in this order though, which is unpleasant no matter how coincidental. I love @almostactually’s suggestion of switching the order to [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]–I also really like the flow that way! Adjustments aside, I see this name as classic more so than Southern and definitely think it would be usable in any region!

3 Likes

I would switch them around as well.

1 Like

It sounds fine to me and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] id a great unexpected middle

1 Like

[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] is a great idea. It eliminates the problem while still honoring those important people!

2 Likes

I love the idea of using [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname! I agree with other posters, [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E [name_u]Lee[/name_u] was my first thought when I read the name.
I’m from the Northeast, and the name doesn’t sound too southern to me!

Also, just wanted to let you know there was an actor named [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]! Not a bad association at all, but just something to consider if you switch the names around!

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Is this name combo too Southern?:

I’m a little surprised by the animosity towards an historical figure held in high regard as a brilliant strategist and upright man, even where I’m from in the north. Granted, (see what I did there?) you may not want your kid to share his name intentionally, but I wouldn’t call that coincidence “unfortunate.” But to each her own.

What struck me was how similar [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] is to [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u], and how the “Rs” run together. I’d switch the name up as others have suggested for that purpose alone, probably going with something like [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], known as [name_u]Rory[/name_u].

1 Like

While I did briefly think of [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u], I don’t think it’s an inescapable reference because a) there’s no E b) [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_u]Lee[/name_u] are both extremely common names c) it’s pretty clear you didn’t name your child after him deliberately. I think the order of the names is fine as-is. I also love [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname–I’ve considered [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for short for the honor name [name_m]Robert[/name_m] myself!

1 Like

All three names are fine in their own right. I did, however, immediately make the connection to [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E [name_u]Lee[/name_u], and I’m not even American. I think that if I were to meet somebody with the middle names “[name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u],” in that order - and they were from the south U.S. in particular - I might assume they were named for him. Regardless of what you may personally think of the man, associating your child with a controversial historical figure may not be wise, or fair.

I echo the suggestions of moving them around. [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] breaks up the name, and people probably wouldn’t make the association. I also like your idea of using [name_u]Christian[/name_u] - how lovely to have the chance to be the one to revive a family name! It avoids the run on Rs of [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]-[name_m]Robert[/name_m].

[name_f]May[/name_f] I also suggest [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] as an alternative to [name_m]Robert[/name_m]? It’s a legitimate [name_m]German[/name_m] variation, yet pretty familiar to most [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers. I think it would work as an honour name if you wish to still use it before [name_u]Lee[/name_u].

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for replying. I was loathe to put the title to this one, but I couldn’t come up with a different wording. I wanted to see what everyone came up with without swaying the direction of the replies toward [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. I have nothing against naming my future kids after people, but I don’t want to specifically name my child for any historical figure… my family tree contains many [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] _____, [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] _____ and the like and I was never a fan of doing this myself. I want to name my kids for people that are important to us and we want them to emulate without the stigma of the full name of a famous and important historical figure to live up to, good or bad.

I am loving some of the alternative suggestions that have been brought forth. [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] would be a great alternative for [name_m]Robert[/name_m]. Also, reordering the names is certainly worth looking at as well.

Any other opinions would certainly be welcome.

1 Like

[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] does not feel southern to me. [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_u]Lee[/name_u] as middle names is a non-issue imo unless you’re planning to call him [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] or [name_u]Robbie[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. Which you aren’t.

1 Like

I would think if you wanted to name your son after [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u] then you would have called him [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. Granted, I am not American, but I would assume with [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], the similarity is purely a coincidence, since [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_u]Lee[/name_u] are very common names and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] has no apparent connection to that historical figure.

1 Like

[name_m]Robert[/name_m] E [name_u]Lee[/name_u] was a confederate and slave owner. I see nothing to hold in high regard about that.

3 Likes

In the American [name_u]South[/name_u], his legacy is very mixed. I’m hesitant to call it pride, but [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u] is part of a history and heritage that some people have adopted (whether their version is true or not) for better or for worse. I have no love or admiration for the man, and to be honest, I would be hesitant to name a child after someone with mixed reverence/revulsion, however I felt.

2 Likes