🐚 Is this name combo too reminiscent of the Civil War?

I’m from the Southwest part of the US, spending my time along the West Coast (primarily California) and New England (mostly Massachusetts). I plan to move to the New England area in the future. I prefer double names, but I’m curious if one of them would be recognized as being too reminiscent of the Civil War. The name is Chя¡s†öphëя Яöbëя† Lëë, all 3 of which are honor names for very specific people. Would it be better to make this a single mn, even if all the others are double mns? I fear if I chose any other name for the 3rd spot (and use Lëë in another combo), the name would be too long. I’ve thought about using Chя¡s†¡ᴀn (family mn which comes from our Danish family last name – Chя¡s†ënsën – and hasn’t been used since 1948 when the last Chя¡s†¡ᴀn died) in place of Chя¡s†öphëя and/or Яöb¡n or Sëᴀbëя† in place of Яöbëя†, but I’m not entirely sure.

Due to the number of people with the same name in the family (we have 6 Chя¡ses (m&f), a Kя¡ssy and a Kя¡s†¡ as well as 15 or 16 people with Яöbëя† somewhere in their names, many of which go by Böb, Böbby, Яöb or Яöbby), I’ll be using the nn Яöяy from day 1 if I go with this name (the alternative is to use the girl’s name 0яës†¡nᴀ to honor Chя¡s & Яöb).

Please let me know what you think.

ETA: I have roots in the South (part of my family were among the first to settle North Carolina) and I have family currently from there. I’m more nervous about the accidental association with famous historical figures.

The names all seem fine, but the potential connection to [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u] is less than desirable. I love the nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u], though! You don’t need to feel obligated to make every name an honor name; it’s a sweet way to honor someone, but not necessary to show your love.

4 Likes

Thank you.

There are 3 people who mean the world to me, Chя¡s†öphëя Jᴀmës, Яöbëя† Jᴀmës and Dönᴀld Lëë. I cannot use Jᴀmës (bad associations) and I don’t think I have much chance of using Dönᴀld even though I love it. It helps that I love the names I’m looking at using.

You struck the nail on the head – Яöbëя† Ë. Lëë was one of the things that came to mind when I looked back at the name again. I originally wrote Chя¡s†öphëя Яöbëя†, but when I looked at adding a 2nd mn, Lëë was added and I didn’t look at it thoroughly until later.

This is a lovely way to honor them, then. A possible way to change the connotation is to switch to [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]; it has a different flow, but I still like it.

2 Likes

I’m also in the [name_u]South[/name_u]! This name seems perfectly normal to me. Not overly Southern imo! It’s lovely!

1 Like

[name_u]Rory[/name_u] is so sweet–I love the idea of using it as a nn for [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]! And the honor element here is clearly very special. I did immediately see the [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u] connection with the names in this order though, which is unpleasant no matter how coincidental. I love @almostactually’s suggestion of switching the order to [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]–I also really like the flow that way! Adjustments aside, I see this name as classic more so than Southern and definitely think it would be usable in any region!

3 Likes

I would switch them around as well.

1 Like

It sounds fine to me and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] id a great unexpected middle

1 Like

I love the idea of using [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname! I agree with other posters, [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E [name_u]Lee[/name_u] was my first thought when I read the name.
I’m from the Northeast, and the name doesn’t sound too southern to me!

Also, just wanted to let you know there was an actor named [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]! Not a bad association at all, but just something to consider if you switch the names around!

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Is this name combo too Southern?:

I’m a little surprised by the animosity towards an historical figure held in high regard as a brilliant strategist and upright man, even where I’m from in the north. Granted, (see what I did there?) you may not want your kid to share his name intentionally, but I wouldn’t call that coincidence “unfortunate.” But to each her own.

What struck me was how similar [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] is to [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u], and how the “Rs” run together. I’d switch the name up as others have suggested for that purpose alone, probably going with something like [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], known as [name_u]Rory[/name_u].

1 Like

While I did briefly think of [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u], I don’t think it’s an inescapable reference because a) there’s no E b) [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_u]Lee[/name_u] are both extremely common names c) it’s pretty clear you didn’t name your child after him deliberately. I think the order of the names is fine as-is. I also love [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a nickname–I’ve considered [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for short for the honor name [name_m]Robert[/name_m] myself!

1 Like

All three names are fine in their own right. I did, however, immediately make the connection to [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E [name_u]Lee[/name_u], and I’m not even American. I think that if I were to meet somebody with the middle names “[name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u],” in that order - and they were from the south U.S. in particular - I might assume they were named for him. Regardless of what you may personally think of the man, associating your child with a controversial historical figure may not be wise, or fair.

I echo the suggestions of moving them around. [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] breaks up the name, and people probably wouldn’t make the association. I also like your idea of using [name_u]Christian[/name_u] - how lovely to have the chance to be the one to revive a family name! It avoids the run on Rs of [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]-[name_m]Robert[/name_m].

[name_f]May[/name_f] I also suggest [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] as an alternative to [name_m]Robert[/name_m]? It’s a legitimate [name_m]German[/name_m] variation, yet pretty familiar to most [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers. I think it would work as an honour name if you wish to still use it before [name_u]Lee[/name_u].

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for replying. I was loathe to put the title to this one, but I couldn’t come up with a different wording. I wanted to see what everyone came up with without swaying the direction of the replies toward Яöbëя† Ë. Lëë. I have nothing against naming my future kids after people, but I don’t want to specifically name my child for any historical figure… my family tree contains many Ḁndяëw Jᴀcksön _____, Bënjᴀm¡n Ƒяᴀnkl¡n _____ and the like and I was never a fan of doing this myself. I want to name my kids for people that are important to us and we want them to emulate without the stigma of the full name of a famous and important historical figure to live up to, good or bad.

I am loving some of the alternative suggestions that have been brought forth. Яupëя† would be a great alternative for Яöbëя†. Also, reordering the names is certainly worth looking at as well.

Any other opinions would certainly be welcome.

1 Like

[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] does not feel southern to me. [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_u]Lee[/name_u] as middle names is a non-issue imo unless you’re planning to call him [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] or [name_u]Robbie[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. Which you aren’t.

1 Like

I would think if you wanted to name your son after [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u] then you would have called him [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. Granted, I am not American, but I would assume with [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], the similarity is purely a coincidence, since [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_u]Lee[/name_u] are very common names and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] has no apparent connection to that historical figure.

1 Like

[name_m]Robert[/name_m] E [name_u]Lee[/name_u] was a confederate and slave owner. I see nothing to hold in high regard about that.

3 Likes

In the American [name_u]South[/name_u], his legacy is very mixed. I’m hesitant to call it pride, but [name_m]Robert[/name_m] E. [name_u]Lee[/name_u] is part of a history and heritage that some people have adopted (whether their version is true or not) for better or for worse. I have no love or admiration for the man, and to be honest, I would be hesitant to name a child after someone with mixed reverence/revulsion, however I felt.

2 Likes