Is this name stealing?

Many years ago I vaugly remember a woman who at that time was a close friend saying she wanted to name her someday son her maiden name. She has one daughter but no sons yet. She has not used the name.

Now I am having a girl and would like to name our daughter this name. It would be unusual on a girl, although the name itself is not unusual.
Sadly, I am no longer friends with this woman. We have some mutual friends and are “facebook” friends. But we have had no contact for 5 years and a somewhat of a bitter friendship breakup.

My husband and I really love this name. As we are no longer friends and our kids will never meet, it seems ok to use the name. Also, it is a fairly common last name (just not a common first one), so it’s not like she made up a name which I stole. And I have no idea if she would still name a hypothetical future son this name, as she expressed this desire 7 years ago.

Is it ok to name my daughter this name? I feel guilty but can’t decide if this is wrong.michelle22

Umm, seems fine to me since you’re not in each others lives anymore! And by the sounds of it you won’t ever be again. As long as it wouldn’t bother you if she did name her son this after you name your daughter it?

[name]Do[/name] you mind me asking what the name is?

It’s [name]Miller[/name].

And no, it would not bother me in the slightest if someday she did name her son this.

I’d so go for it then! It’s a nice name :slight_smile: There is however the name [name]Milla[/name], which is a female name that sounds the same, also unusual but possibly looks a bit more feminine and would avoid her ever thinking you’d got the idea from her :slight_smile:

I don’t see a problem here. It would be a different story if you were close friends or even expressed an interest in becoming friends with this woman again. But if you have no contact then she can’t object to you naming your daughter [name]Miller[/name]. I don’t care for unisex names myself, but objectively, I think [name]Miller[/name] could be cute on a little girl. I’d say go for the name you love!

I say use it. You shouldn’t feel guilty at all!

I’m with everyone else here. Use it! You aren’t close to her anymore and have no plans to be. Nothing to feel guilty about.

I say use it unless you are going to always connect that name back to her…which you might. You could just go with [name]Milla[/name] or [name]Millie[/name] which are so cute!

I wouldn’t feel guilty about that at all. Go for it.

She’s probably going to be ticked when she finds out. So I guess you just have to decide whether you care how she feels.
[name]Just[/name] on a personal note, I woudn’t use a surname unless I had family connection to it. Especially on a girl because it’s less common and I think a lot of people will ask you if it is a family name.

I don’t think you can “steal” a name. Anyone can name their child any name they want. If people weren’t afraid to use [name]Isabella[/name] or [name]Emily[/name] even though that’s their friend’s kid’s name, [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Emily[/name] wouldn’t have been #1. If you love the name, which you do, then go for it! It’s not like she can say she owns it, because she doesn’t.