Is this name too confusing???

What do you think of the name Colijn? A family name, pronounced co-[name]LANE[/name]. We are planning to at least use it as a middle name, but what about a first name, with the nn [name]Cole[/name]? I [name]LOVE[/name] the name, and would love to use it as a given name, but my hubby is worried, and rightfully so, about pronunciation. But if we used the nn [name]Cole[/name], would that simplify it? Or would it still be too confusing?

Thoughts??? Opinions???
Suggestions???

I know what you mean, an alternate spelling would help the pronunciation issue. It’s a Dutch name, and the “ij” in Colijn make a long “A” sound. I think my hubby would really like to keep the original spelling, but I could mention the other spellings you suggested. He also would like to keep the name as a middle because of the pronunciation issues. I would [name]LOVE[/name] to convince him to use it as the given name, but at the same time I don’t want to be causung major headaches for our future son. (We aren’t expecting - YET.) Thanks for the suggestions!

I like the sound of the name, but it seems a bit feminine, honestly. I’d hate to mess with a traditional spelling, too, but I think it would be confusing for non-natives…

is it for a boy or girl? the way its spelt i was pronouncing it collagen, and i didn’t like it. But the way you pronounce it is nice.

I would stick to it being in the middle, I wouldn’t change the spelling, I believe children should be given their own name and family names used as middles.

Another question… If we used the name Colijn (co-[name]LANE[/name]), but called him [name]Cole[/name], do you think it would make it do-able? He could go by [name]Cole[/name] for the most part, which would maybe cut down on pronunciation issues.
What do you think?

When I first read it I read it kind of like [name]Colleen[/name], so I was a little confused by its’ being a boy’s name. However, if you like it I say go for it! The nn [name]Cole[/name] would definitely help people out with it.

It does sound close to [name]Colleen[/name]. It appears closer to [name]Colin[/name]. Foreign-alphabet silent Js really confuse people, but that wouldn’t bother me as much as sounding like you named your son [name]Colleen[/name], which means “girl.” If you might be able to get away with pronouncing it like [name]Colin[/name] (not Coh-lin, but Call-in, sort of), I would say it’s only a little confusing with the j, but nothing you couldn’t all get over. With that spelling and sounding like a girl’s name, yes, very confusing. Middle it. You can still call him [name]Cole[/name] too.

[name]Hi[/name]! I mispronounced it as [name]Colin[/name], but depending on where you live, pronunciation may not be an issue for you.

I didn’t feel as stoooopid reading “Colijn” as I do reading many of the Irish names, so that made me feel good. :slight_smile:

Now that I know its correct pronunciation, it does remind me a lot of [name]Colleen[/name] (and even [name]Elaine[/name]), but I really liked what [name]Karen[/name] said about using [name]Colin[/name].

(Of course if you live in an area where Colijn wouldn’t be mispronounced, I don’t see anything wrong with the name.)

Best wishes to you!

I’d keep the spelling but put it in the middle slot

I too first thought [name]Colin[/name]. I think the spelling is confusing but I like the sound of the name. [name]Cole[/name] would be a great NN. Good luck

Colijn is pronounced more like Co-lie-n. It would not be Co-lane. The “ij” in Dutch is more like “eye”

Thanks for the info. The reason we pronounce it Co-[name]LANE[/name], is because it is my hubby, and his dad’s middle name, and they have always pronounced it Co-[name]LANE[/name]. I don’t know, maybe it has been slightly changed from the original pronunciation.

I don’t think I made this clear in my first post, but we would most likly use the name Colijn as a middle name,making him the III. I just [name]LOVE[/name] the name Colijn (co-[name]LANE[/name]), and thought it would be nice to call a future son by that middle name. Most of the time he could go by [name]Cole[/name].

Thanks so much to all of you who have taken the time to comment. You have given me lots to think about! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Cole[/name] is a lovely nn for Colijn.

Your pronunciation would be fine in the states. No one but the Dutch would pick up on it :wink: Not a big deal.

Would you be interested in putting it in the middle, but still having him go by [name]Cole[/name]? I know of a few boys and even some girls who go by a nickname of their middle name. That way you could keep the original spelling, but he’d just have to respond to something easier to pronounce as first name for things like roll call at school.

For [name]Danielle[/name]…

Once again, THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who took the time to read this and let me know what you think. It has been such a help, and has given me much to think on!