Is this name usable?

I have like a million questions to ask. What are your thoughts on the name Strider? Is the [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings association too much? The other boy name I’m obsessed with right now is [name]Viggo[/name]. Would it be weird to have a son named [name]Viggo[/name] and Strider? The actor that plays Strider is [name]Viggo[/name] Mortensen. What are some possible middle names for Strider? If I did have a son named Strider what do you see his siblings being named? Would [name]Allegra[/name], [name]Francesca[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], or [name]Sequoia[/name] work? Sorry for all the questions I’m just curious to know what you think. Thanks.

I work in healthcare - the name Strider makes me think of stridor. (Stridor is a high pitched wheezing sound resulting from turbulent air flow in the upper airway.) Most people probably won’t think that. Strider sounds cool, it’s similar to [name]Ryder[/name]. I personally would not use it.

I really don’t have an opinion on the name [name]Viggo[/name]. All of your girl names are lovely.

[name]Hi[/name], roseilicious!

I think Strider and [name]Viggo[/name] are interesting names independently, but together they seem a bit strange. I understand the connection between them via [name]Viggo[/name] Mortenson (I am attending the same undergrad school that he did! So I definitely can relate to wanting to honor him with a baby name!).
I don’t think you have to worry about many people recognizing that the two names are related because of the actor, but rather, I would be worried about people will think the two names together sound odd. I like them separately quite a bit, though! Strider is a more updated occupation/surname name (like [name]Carter[/name]), and [name]Viggo[/name] is very unusual and hipster (in a good way)!

I like [name]Viggo[/name] with [name]Francesca[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] (more classic, Euro-sounding names). I think Strider fits stylistically with [name]Allegra[/name] and [name]Sequoia[/name] (quirky, hip names).

Middle names for Strider:
Strider could go nicely with an established, simple name, such as [name]James[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Eli[/name], or [name]Spencer[/name].
But, more unusual names could fit as well, such as: [name]Grey[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Jameson[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name], [name]Griffin[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Quentin[/name], or [name]Rhys[/name].

Personally, I do not like Strider as a name. Water strider is an insect, and “to stride” seems sexual (to straddle). [name]Viggo[/name] is great, since most people know (?) it’s not vig-goh but vee-goh. But, my favorite of that character’s names is actually Aragorn, though I prefer the spelling [name]Aragon[/name].

And yes, it would be weird to name all of your children after Tolkien characters. I knew a boy and his sister named [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Leia[/name], and everyone always said, “Like [name]Star[/name] Wars?!” and they said, “No, our mom just liked those names. An unfortunate coincidence.”

I thought the same thing when I read Strider (stridor). My daughter had stridor countless times as a toddler when she would get croup. Not a good association to me! :slight_smile: I would prefer [name]Viggo[/name] if given a choice between the two.

I don’t know what to think about Strider.
I don’t think it’s bad, but I also don’t think I would use it.
If you like it though, I say go for it!
I really like [name]Viggo[/name] :slight_smile:
And I think [name]Francesca[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] are great girl names that flow well together and with [name]Viggo[/name].

Good luck :slight_smile:

Strider was my ex’s favorite name for a boy, specifically after the character from LOTR, and I like it. I don’t think the word “stride” is sexual at all… “to sit astride” is equivalent to “to straddle”, and a stride is a step, like “to take things in stride”. I definitely prefer Strider to [name]Viggo[/name], and I would not use them together. I would not make the Stridor connection, either.

Oh I like Strider! I actually like it much more than more “common” names like [name]Ryder[/name] or [name]Sawyer[/name].

And I like [name]Viggo[/name]. I like it alot. It always bothers me than when I mention [name]Viggo[/name] as a name, everyone always says “Oh like the actor!”

And I honestly would never make the connection - even though I have read the books a million times and seen the movie (maybe it’s b/c I’ve read the books so many times [name]Viggo[/name] Mortenson doesn’t define the Strider character for me).

Are you thinking about the possibility of eventually having 2 boys and using both names? My only comment in that case would be that they are very disparate names than in my mind, don’t go together. But that would be my only criticism.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Viggo[/name], not a fan of Strider. God forbid he have trouble walking when he gets big enough.
I like all the girl names, and and [name]Louisa[/name] in particular.