Is this stealing? Are these names too close?

Our friends just recently had a little girl and named her [name]Ava[/name]. Beautiful name, only problem is… my favorite girl name for years has been [name]Maeva[/name]. My DH thinks its too similar to [name]Ava[/name] and doesn’t want to use it. I disagree completely and think it’s still usable!!!

What do you think?

(Not pregnant, just planning!)

I don’t think it’s too close. If all else fails, she could go by a nickname, e.g. [name]May[/name], [name]Eva[/name], [name]Evie[/name], [name]Emmie[/name]

I don’t think it’s too close, plus [name]Ava[/name] is pretty popular and [name]Maeva[/name] is more rare.

What do you think of just [name]Maeve[/name]?

If you aren’t even pregnant yet I think it’s fine. It’s not as though your kids will be the same age. If you do end up deciding to go with it when you’re actually pregnant, then I’d probably mention it to your friend just so she knows you thought about it.

I don’t think it’s too close. [name]Ava[/name] is in the top 5 I believe, so I can’t imagine them getting too worked up about hearing similar or identical names. They’d better get used to it!

[name]Maeva[/name] is extremely rare and [name]Ava[/name] is extremely popular so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Not too close, unless you want to call her [name]Eva[/name] and they ([name]Maeva[/name] and [name]Ava[/name]) often play together.

Thanks for the response, we would mostly likely use the nn [name]Mae[/name], if we use one at all.

They’re very different names. Besides, your friend is going to meet a million other Avas as it is. She can’t exactly complain if you use a soundalike.