Is this usable?

Castiel (prn: [name]Cas[/name]-tee-elle)? I saw the name on TV and I have really taken a shine too it. I have [name]Dean[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name] on my list already though and both of which are family names, but they are also the main characters from this particular show. Would I seem absessed with this show to have all three of these names on my list. I will admit that I watch the show but I by no means obsessed or some crazed fan. I have a real life outside of TV and I don’t want it to seem otherwise. WDYT? usable or not?

Personally, I also like the show, and I also like all three names, so I think it’s fine to have all three on your list, and I definitely think Castiel is useable. It has the cute nickname [name]Cas[/name], too. [name]Just[/name] be aware that many have not heard that name before, so you’ll probably have to explain it a lot.

Its an interesting name but I suspect your child will have to spell it for people constantly and probably repeat it a lot upon introducing himself so that people can process it… The name sounds intrigiung but might turn out to be a lot of work, thats all.

We have a similar problem with Boys names from the show Charmed.

I think it’s fine to have all three names. I’m familiar with the show, and if I heard them as brothers, I would probably think, “oh, a Supernatural fan.” But who cares? It’s not that hard to say, “yeah, I heard Castiel from the show, but I just thought it was a cool name.”

I’ve never seen the show so when I first saw the name Castiel on your post my first thought was of Castiel the [name]Angel[/name] of Thursday, of changes and of travel. There is also [name]Cassiel[/name], the [name]Angel[/name] of [name]Temperance[/name], solitude and tears. Although there are only three angels mentioned in the Bible, if other angel names like [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Raphael[/name] and [name]Michael[/name] are usable, why not Castiel? It’s anyone’s guess whether it’s real theological angel or if the name is an invention of the show’s writers because they just liked the sound of it .

I actually know a little Castiel and he wears it well! His older brother has a very common, run of the mill sturdy boys name but they don’t sound weird together. Its one of my GPs!

I like it a lot

Thanks everyone!! Some really great advice here :slight_smile:

@frustratedauthor and Lucykate219 - you two made me feel SO much better about the name!!!

I think it would be fine to use. Supernatural is pretty popular and I’m surprised more people haven’t used Castiel, because it’s an adorable name. I say go for it!!!

I have never seen the show but I think it’s a cool name.

Actually the TV show character is an [name]Angel[/name], or rather, the specific angel you’re talking about. They also feature [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Raphael[/name] and [name]Michael[/name], but [name]Cas[/name] has become one of the main characters. Although, it is just a story and not anything like a retelling of Bible stories. But that makes me think Castiel is more useable if people recognize him as an angel.

It sounds a bit feminine, but I don’t think its unusable for a boy.

I really dig the name!! I have not seen it before now, and think it’s perfectly usable–I would even encourage it! Nice find for a boy. :slight_smile:

[name]One[/name] of my favorite names from my list. I especially like it as Castiel [name]Dean[/name]. My other dilemma is whether I prefer Castiel or [name]Gabriel[/name] more.

I very seen the show lol. Yea I sound like I live in the dark ages. However I really like the name Castiel I like how it sounds. [name]Dean[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name] are pretty common so ppl won’t necessarily associate them with the show.

i would say [name]Cas[/name]-teal but its nice

@[name]Mischa[/name] - I think it’s adorable that your name is actually the name of the actor who plays Castiel on the show that this is about. :slight_smile:

I like Castiel. And, I think it’s totally usable. I’m not sure I’d personally go with [name]Sam[/name] and [name]Dean[/name] for other first names, if you have future boys though. Middle spots, no doubt. But, if those are the names you like, why not? Would you really care That much when it came down to it? I even think Castiel [name]Dean[/name] would work, after seeing someone else mention it. I don’t think it really brings up the connection like all three names together would, or like just [name]Sam[/name] and [name]Dean[/name] would.

We have/had the same dilemma with the Whedonverse ([name]Buffy[/name] & [name]Angel[/name] specifically). Our first, Completely Unintentionally, has both his first and middle name from the two shows…[name]Conor[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]. Our soon-to-be twin girl is [name]Cordelia[/name]. So, then it was almost like…can we see if we can find a name from there that will work for our soon-to-be twin boy??? :slight_smile: His fn was always meant to be [name]Cormac[/name], but I wondered if we could find something from there for the middle spot…lol. But, my husband chose [name]Sebastian[/name], and I couldn’t say no, because it’s always been a favorite of mine. We weren’t picking names because they followed any pattern, so how could I Not pick a name we both liked just because it didn’t fit a pattern. Though, there was a minor character in one show named “Archduke Sebassis”, maybe I could convince him that was a connection, if he ever felt left out. :wink:

it sounds exactly like castille which is soap