Is this weird or...?

My husband and I have always dreamed about naming our future son [name]Weston[/name]. It was the first name we ever agreed upon and we’ve fallen more and more in love with it over the years.

My brother and sister-in-law (whom have been married longer than my husband and I) recently told us that they want to name their future son [name]Easton[/name]. I was crushed.

My husband’s family says we should still use the name [name]Weston[/name] but I’m scared that [name]Easton[/name] and [name]Weston[/name] just sound silly to have in the same family.

What do you think? Should we not use [name]Weston[/name]? Or should we let my brother and his wife use [name]Easton[/name] since they have been together longer than us?

In my opinion, it would be odd to have both an [name]Easton[/name] and a [name]Weston[/name]. However, do you guys like [name]Westley[/name]? [name]Easton[/name] & [name]Westley[/name] is less a concern.

xo [name]Viv[/name]

Neither of you are pregnant from the sounds of it, so I think whoever has a baby boy first, gets to pick the name.

It would sound silly to have a [name]Weston[/name] and an [name]Easton[/name], but some might find it cute too. I mean my fiance’s eldest sister named her daughter [name]Nora[/name] and his other sister later had a son and named him [name]Noah[/name]. Those are pretty close and we do tease that she copied her sister by naming her son [name]Noah[/name], but it was the name she liked and she went with it anyway. [name]Nora[/name]'s sister’s name is [name]Nina[/name], which is why when I am naming my children, none of them will have N names. I don’t want to add to the N party…

I think letting them have the name just because they’ve been together longer is silly. [name]Just[/name] because they have been together longer, doesn’t mean they get naming rights.

[name]How[/name] often would you see your brother and his wife? [name]Even[/name] if it’s fairly often, they would likely be [name]Easton[/name]/[name]East[/name] and [name]Weston[/name]/[name]Wes[/name]/[name]West[/name], I’m guessing, and not both “Ton” (lol), so I think you’re good. They may be similar, and yes, they are a bit matchy, but still definitely usable. [name]Easton[/name] and [name]Weston[/name] for brothers? No, I wouldn’t suggest that. But [name]Easton[/name] and [name]Weston[/name] as cousins? Why not? My dad has several cousins who share his name, so I don’t see a problem with [name]Easton[/name] and [name]Weston[/name] as cousins. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s not like they’re siblings. Siblings with matchy names might get old for the kids if they hear it every day. Cousins with matchy names is not the end of the world.

I kind of skipped some of the post and immediately thought you meant for brothers, which would be a big no from me. Cousins? Sure, why not. I know of cousins that share the same so similar names shouldn’t be an issue and like a previous post said they aren’t going to have similar nicknames.

I think its fine! It seems as though you have loved [name]Weston[/name] for a long time! I think it is such a handsome name! They may change their minds on [name]Easton[/name] in the future anyways. Things happen all the time that make name styles change. I think the cousins might enjoy the connection, especially if they are close in age.

Oh, thank you for making me laugh out loud! And not in a horrible way, I promise! I’d agree with others, cousins is very different to siblings, and you can wait until you actually have babies. I’m sure you’ll have some names in reserve in case you find yourself squirming when there’s a real [name]Weston[/name] & [name]Easton[/name] in front of you. :slight_smile:

TBH, I wouldn’t do it. [name]Even[/name] though I live an hour and a half away from my sister, my kids probably won’t have a ton of cousins. I only have one sister and my fiance only has one brother, so unless one of them has TONS of kids, they probably won’t have more than like, 4 cousins (unless his brother marries the crazy girl he’s dating now who has 6 kids… crazy because she’s crazy, not because she has that many kids btw). Maybe my kids wouldn’t see their cousins every day, but I’m hoping they’ll at least be somewhat close. So to me, those names are a no go. Also one of the reasons I won’t use [name]Braden[/name] anymore. [name]Love[/name] the name, but besides its trendiness, our friends’ son’s name is [name]Kaeden[/name]. We usually see them weekly, so it’s very likely our kids are going to be friends. I really would prefer they don’t have rhyming names!

But it’s totally up to you. What’s more important, using the name you’ve loved forever, or having a name that isn’t matchy with his potential cousin? What if they don’t have any boys? What if they change their mind? Lots of things to think about.

I don’t think I’d worry about it. I actually think little (and eventually big) cousins named [name]Weston[/name] and [name]Easton[/name] is pretty cute. I think [name]Weston[/name] is a gorgeous name- if a boy’s name can be gorgeous. =) And the fact that you and your husband both love it is awesome. Go with it!

I think it would be soooo cute to have [name]East[/name] and [name]West[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you have another sibling? Can you and bro convince him/her to go with [name]North[/name]? I’m being completely serious.
Since they’ll have different last names most people wouldn’t even know that [name]Weston[/name] and [name]Easton[/name] are linked

Why does it matter how long each couple has been together? I don’t see how the amount of time that someone has been married has any sway whatsoever in who gets what name. If they had been trying to get pregnant for years, with no luck and you felt bad that you’d gotten pregnant right away, I can see making considerations for a relative or friend’s name choices…but the mere fact that they got hitched earlier doesn’t matter, in my opinion.

There are several reasons why I don’t think it will be a problem if you both use these names:

1. Who knows if either of you even have a son? If you get pregnant with a son first, you shouldn’t go with a different name just because there’s a POSSIBILITY that your brother will have a son one day and name him [name]Easton[/name]. There’s no way of knowing or guaranteeing that that will happen.

2. You came up with these names independently of one another. You didn’t hear your brother’s idea and then say, “Oh that’s cute. Maybe we should do [name]Weston[/name]!” You had already decided on this name in advance of their revelation. The fact that they chose to divulge this information to you does not mean that they have “called dibs” on it or that they can prevent you from using a similar name.

3. The names are not actually the same. Yes, it’s a little funny to have an [name]Easton[/name] and a [name]Weston[/name] in the same family. But it falls into the “kind of a funny story” category, rather than the “unbearable” category. It’s not as though you’ll get confused between them – they don’t even rhyme! It would actually be more confusing/annoying if the two names in question were [name]Wesley[/name] and [name]Westley[/name] or [name]Easton[/name] and Cleeson or something like that. [name]Easton[/name] and [name]Weston[/name] sound different from one another, and yet are connected in a way that is totally appropriate for cousins.

I think it’s fine, and actually kinda cool. For siblings, it would be weird, but for cousins it’s fine. And besides, at the end of the day, you still don’t know that this is even going to be an issue because one or both of you could change your minds in the future or one or both of you may never have sons at all. So I for sure wouldn’t even begin to think of “giving up” your name of choice out of some sort of sense of duty to your brother’s longer marriage.

I WOULD, however, be sure that they know of your intentions. I hope that when they revealed this to you you said something like, “Oh that’s so funny! We’d actually decided on [name]Weston[/name] even before we got married!” so that they knew that this name was not one that you’d come up with in response to their decision about [name]Easton[/name], but rather independently of their decision. That way, if it does bother your brother and sister-in-law, then they can begin to think of alternatives, and it also makes it clear that you feel as strongly as they do about your choice of name. But who knows? They may think (as I do) that it’s just a neat idea and one that shouldn’t be actively sought out, but also one that shouldn’t be avoided if it happened naturally.

For siblings it would be a bit much but I don’t see any issues with cousins being named [name]Easton[/name] and [name]Weston[/name].

Like most people have said, I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. In fact, I think most people who would meet those two together would think it was adorable and funny, I know I would. They are completely separate names, and even if they were the same, I have family members with the same names and nobody thinks it’s weird. I say if you really love it, go for the name you want, and let them choose the name they want.