No

no

6 Likes

It might be more of a sociological question than a physiological one! In that the way names have been used over time, how we use names, how they have been traditionally been given to men and women, more than what is happening in your own brain. In fact, look at how many more posts on the Nameberry forums appear under the “girl names” category than the “boy names” category. Judging by that alone you can know that you’re not the only one who feels this way!

Yes, i find this too - there are so few boys names I actually love and often, as soon as I do start liking one, i begin thinking maybe this would actually make a really cool girls name :grin: I don’t think your alone in this at all

4 Likes

See, I feel like I have the opposite problem but my name loving sister and other name lovers I know fall into your category. They have more girls names. Very normal I feel.

I feel like a lot of folks might feel constricted by the use of same 150 names for boys dependent on their circle, cause dad wants son to have xyz family name. And I’ve never felt that with my so. He’s always been more about the meaning than if it honors xyz. I adore boys names. Have a much longer list of boy name loves than girls. Irish brogues, surnames as first names, [name_f]English[/name_f] prep role call list, the Spaniards, and the Rugged gentleman… I adore so so many.

I think it could be something where you have to be willing to search though, with like a genuine heart. Like do you see this name on a baby with flailing arms, and on a little boy covered in mud? On a man down on one knee asking the one he loves to be with him the rest of his life, and on an old man that goes to the same grocery store twice a week and people says “See you next week______! [name_m]Say[/name_m] hi to your SO for me!” ? You’ll have this name called out at doctors appointments and likely put on wedding invitations. He’ll get coffee with this name. He’ll have someone whisper it to get his attention. Hell, you’ll scream it trying to get his attention at a playground or a beach. They’ll introduce themselves to thousands of people. He’ll have little kids say it. People from different backgrounds of life, Vietnamese, Russian, Spanish… even maybe some backwoods [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f] redneck you can barely understand.

Women need the imagery. We do. And this helps me. When I look at a name, I think about the life lived with the name.

3 Likes

same here! It’s perfectly normal :blush:

there’s no right or wrong way to like names :grin: just have fun!

Yeah I understand I love thinking of first and middle names that sound good together as well as sibling names for girls more than boys names.and my favourite girls name list goes on forever where’s with boys I only have a few that I really properly love.
I feel like there not as much options but maybe I just haven’t found the ones that I really like???

1 Like

no

1 Like

Well hopefully you work through your disdain for over half the population for the world. Definitely will be lonely life.

1 Like

I agree and I’m like this too, I could scroll through tons of boy names and even find the more rare ones kind of bland or boring for some reason, but I could scroll through the girls names and think 6/10 are beautiful

I’m probably misconstruing what you mean by this, but what you say here makes it sound like you don’t even like the idea of boys in general, which comes across as sexist. Of course, that may not be your intention, but I thought I’d let you know.

If you mean you don’t like masculine imagery, or it’s hard to imagine romantic boys/men beyond the traditionally unromantic conceptions we have of boys/men in societies, I would provide further clarification.

no

1 Like

THIS IS FACT
inj

the same thing happens to me but the other way around!
i always found boys names that i love and i only have 1 girl name that im convinced with! and like if i find a unisex name i love i usually tend to prefer it on a boy hahah (Indigo, [name_u]River[/name_u], Ocean)
i think this is more a matter of taste tbh and it totally annoys me bc i just can’t find girl names im convinced with
and about the variety, i think it’s the same for both genders, maybe you feel there’s more variety of girls names because you like more?

1 Like

I don’t think that’s weird. I’m the same, that’s why I always go to this section (rarely the boy’s name section). I’ve always loved girl names and thinking about what I might name my daughter if I have a girl. I have a favourite boy name as well, but I just think girl names are more interesting.

As for the psychological reasoning behind this, what are your relationships with boys like? The only relationship I’ve really had with a boy is with my Dad and for a long time we didn’t get along… at all. Plus I’m very girly so that might be another reason. Do you consider yourself to be girly or feminine?

@The people wondering if this girl is being sexist: Not trying to be rude or anything, but this girl is only 16 and we don’t know what her experiences with boys are like. I don’t think she’s being sexist, but even if she does have not so good experiences, she’ll probably grow out of it. I use to only want daughters when I was this age, but now I actually think it would be really nice to have one of each. I learned that just because I had a relationship with a boy that wasn’t very good, it doesn’t mean a relationship with a possible son won’t be.

Thank you! And after a lot of reflection I realize how my statement was. Misguided as well as generalizing.