Is two middle names too much?

Hello there, I’m wondering who all here has used two middle names for their child. Im wanting to use two middle names for our son due soon but my husband thinks it will be too long and doesn’t want our child to have a long name. The name we have chosen is I admit already long but I just cant get rid of the feeling of using another squashed in between. We have chosen [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] B*****man. But I really also love the names [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Bram[/name_m]/[name_m]Bramwell[/name_m]

[name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] has been there from the beginning there is no changing that.

• [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] B*****man
  • [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] B*****man
  • [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]Florian[/name_u] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] B*****man
  • [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] B*****man

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance

I don’t think that it’s too long. I’ve recently met two children under the age of 9 with two middle names - It works fine. My favorites of your choices are [name_u]Florian[/name_u] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] : )

I like [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] and [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]Florian[/name_u] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m]. Having two middle names is quite normal. A girl in my son’s class actually has 4 middle names!

My daughter has two middle names - her second being my maiden name and when we a sibling they will also have my maiden name too.
I do see why your husband has concerns over length, but if you want it and convince him go for it and I don’t think you can go wrong they all seem great choices, but [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is my favourite.

My sons will both have two middle names, so I love it. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] I think has the best flow out of all your options. My second favorite is [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m].

My daughter also has two middle names and my son will as well. I love it and am a huge two middle name proponent. I would say, though, that if my first child didn’t have two middle names I wouldn’t give two to my second – It’s an all or nothing sort of thing to me. I wouldn’t want them to ask down the road why their brother or sister got three names and they got just two. In any case, since [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] are both long names at 4 and 3 syllables each, I would definitely try to keep your second middle short and sweet. So for that reason [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is my favorite. I also think it flows better if [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] is in the first middle spot. Otherwise it seems choppy to me. But in all honesty (even though I’m a two middle name proponent) I think [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] on its own just looks and sounds better, especially if your DD only has one middle name.

My son has two middles, and so far, its been no big deal. If a middle initial is required for paper work, you use the initial of the middle that comes first and be done with it.

I’m in the same boat- my daughter only has one middle name, and my husband is SUPER against two middle names, but my mom is sick with terminal cancer, and I think I would regret not using one of her names as a middle name for this new baby. Problem is, we’ve already chosen a first name we like and a middle name with a lot of meaning that I really can’t part with. So, I think we’re just going to go with two middles and hope for the best! I’ve heard from multiple people that two middles isn’t a big deal. I just have to convince my husband!

I agree that giving your child two (or even more) middle names is normal. My daughter has two middle names (her full name is [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Daniella[/name_f] [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]) and she was born seventeen years ago, in a country where many people think that ONE middle name is “too much” (I have one middle name. My full name is [name_f]Rea[/name_f] [name_f]Eleonora[/name_f] and I usually go by [name_f]Leonora[/name_f]. My parents didn’t want to give me a middle name, but they could not agree on a first name so they named me like this. My sister is named [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f], without having middle name. Very few people I know have a middle name, although I know that somewhere in the country having a middle name is normal). My family didn’t agree at all, but there is a very personal story behind my daughter’s name, so I didn’t change my mind. Anyway, I want to say that if you have found a combination that you like, don’t care about the number of middle names. I think that your combinations are great. I really love the name [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and I think that [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] has a perfect regal sound. Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

I am personally a huge proponent of two middle names! I have always felt it to be more complete. When we had our first child, we gave him two middle names and will continue the pattern with future children. At first my husband was not sold on the idea, being concerned it was too much. But all three of the names that we gave our son hold special meaning and spiritual significance to us, and they fit in perfectly together. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if our last name was not one syllable, we would have still gone this route. In hindsight my husband laughs at his concerns. He is so pleased that we did not hold back from two middle names simply because it is not the norm–even though it is not uncommon either.

We live in Australia. Most official situations, apart from his birth certificate, only use the first of our sons two middle names. This does not bother us at all. We, and his family and our friends, know what his full name is! And we use it in his cards etc. His initials (minus the last name) are also proudly displayed on his bedroom wall.

My favorite is [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] b**man
Or vice versa
I want to use two middle names too!
[name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Bear[/name_m] [name_m]Brown[/name_m]

My DH has a three syllable first name and two middle names and our son will as well! I don’t think that two middle names is too much, especially with boys. My favourite of your combos is [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m].

I’m ok with two middle names, but with some caveats. The first thing that comes to my mind is that your daughter might feel left out. My parents did something similar with my brother and me, and I always kind of felt left out, like why didn’t I get an extra name? So for me, I think siblings should have the same number of names.

That said, I like [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] he best out of your options. I like [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], but I think [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] is way too clunky.

I have 2 kids right now (pregnant with my third) and all of my kids will have 2 middle names. Granted, their first names are all shorter names (3-4 letters), but their last name is quite long. I just think the name has to be special to you and your SO and forget what other people think. I will tell you though that on some of my kid’s ID, only the first letter of the second last name is shown; not sure if that would bother you.

I have two middle names, as does my sister and one of my closest friends and quite a few other people I know. I feel like if you do it right, it works fine. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Florian[/name_u] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] from your choices