Is Violet too popular now?

My DH & I are expecting & have been stuck on the name [name]Violet[/name] since day one, but now I am starting to second guess our choice. Is [name]Violet[/name] too popular now? We love antique sounding names but don’t want something that is too trendy/popular. Any suggestions? Nothing that starts with “A” or “B” since our boys’ names start with these letters & we want to avoid this trend.

I am so guilty of worrying about name popularity…but the other day I did some math and realized that having a name in the top 100-200 isn’t as common as I originally thought. For example, [name]Violet[/name] is 141 now, but - according to the [name]Baby[/name] Name Voyager - that translates to about 550 babies [name]PER[/name] MILLION being named [name]Violet[/name].

If I’m doing the math correctly, that’s 1 in every 1818 babies born in the U.S. So as long as you are ok with her meeting one other [name]Violet[/name] in a group of 3636 people, then I say go with the name. It’s lovely!

Good point on the popularity thing… I think so many more names are actually being used these days (as opposed to when we were kids and unique names just weren’t that common–everyone was named something from the top 100 just about!) I think it may be wise to avoid the top ten to twenty if you’re worried about doubles popping up, but other than that, we probably worry way more than is necessary. For me it’s more important that a name doesn’t sound trendy/invented. I’ve been struggling to find a name for my new daughter, due in the Fall, and I’ve avoided all top 100 names for most of my search, but am now starting to consider them again. My daughter has an unpopular name ([name]Beatrice[/name]–in the 800s currently), but it also just happened to be a name I LOVED. I think at this point I’d rather pick a name I love as much rather than worry that she might encounter a few others as she goes through life.

To test this whole popularity theory, I just did a search on the ss website for the top 100 names for the year of my birth. My name was ranked in the 60s. But I’ve never run into very many in my age group, ever. I think all of us are traumatized from growing up in the 80s where every third girl was named [name]Jennifer[/name]–but you know, if you look up the year of your birth I think you’ll see that the only names that feel ‘overplayed’ are the ones that were in the top 20 or so. Of course, many of them [name]DO[/name] sound dated now, but that’s another issue entirely:)

sort of an interesting case in point… if you look at the year 1974 or 75, [name]Nancy[/name] is in the top 100… but how many Nancys does anyone know who’s in their mid-thirties?? The only ones I know are much older–fifty or 60 year olds, mostly. So being in the top hundred obviously didn’t mean the name was all over the place.

I must admit that I didn’t like [name]Violet[/name] a year ago. And then I fell in love with the name. I’ve heard it quite a lot on the boards, but have yet to meet one. It’s a really pretty name, and I think a lot of the older names are coming back. But I’d say go for it if you love it. It’s definitely not going to hit the top 20 in my opinion.

[name]Violet[/name] has grown on me lately, I am starting to find it really cute. I will say that I was browsing through a local hospital web nursery today… I am trying to scope out names and also see what is really popular. I did see [name]Violet[/name] come up at least twice so far, so I do wonder if it is getting trendy. I still saw tons of sophias, Isabellas, and even Abigails.

If you love it. Use it. I used [name]Violet[/name] as a middle name for my 3 year old. I would have used it as her first name, but at the time I was soooo worried that there would be a million [name]Violet[/name]'s running around soon. We still call our daughter [name]Violet[/name] sometimes and to be honest with you, we have not met another [name]Violet[/name] her age. It is still one of my favorite girl names. Good luck